Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    setdallas            02-08-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 Malibu LSV and when I'm going forward (even if really slow) and put it into neutral, it makes this low growling/gurgling noise that seems to be coming from the engine compartment. Any of you have an idea of what this may be?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       02-08-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
It could just be your v-drive gear spinning to a stop after you go to neutral. Don't you need to check the oil level in there?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
My wife makes that noise when I'm going forward towards wakeboarding shops. I haven't found a solution yet.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-08-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
I experienced that same grawling noise Darren has.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-08-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
Seriously, It has got to be your tranny or V drive unit. Have you checked your fluids?
Old    setdallas            02-08-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
I think any of us with anything even close to a "significant other" has experienced that growl -- which is why I'm hoping this isn't going to be a huge service expense! I haven't checked the fluids recently Lance, I'll give that a try -- thanks!
Old    setdallas            02-14-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
I took the boat out this weekend and, after checking to make sure the fluid levels were proper, got in the back with the cushions off the seats and listened to the sound -- it wasn't coming from the transmission or v-drive unit.

It actually sounded like it was coming from the very back of the boat, where the strut is located. It was weird because the noise would only occur when the boat was in neutral but still moving forward in the water as though the prop was still moving from the force of the water -- and it wouldn't happen when i went backwards.

So, after taking it out of the water, I spun the prop around a few times with my hands and every so often heard a noise coming from the strut as it spun? Would it be unusual for this to happen (if the boat had been sitting up since late August?) Is there a way to grease / lube the strut? Would appreciate any advice.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-14-2005, 9:14 AM Reply   
Could be a bad strut bearing? Was your prop easy to turn out of the water?
Old    setdallas            02-14-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
I was able to turn it with one hand, but it took some pressure to do it. It didn't make any noise in one direction, only the other.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-15-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
Shawn it sounds like to me it is a strut bearing, but it throws me off when it only happens when in neutral. I would start at the strut and from there to the tranny.