Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (supralaunch21v)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-26-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Hydraulic wake plate has stopped working. I can hear the motor/pump run when trying to operate but the plate does not move and gauge stays in full up position. I am going to check the fluid level but was told that fluid rarely runs out. It is an 05 21v. Any other ideas on what I should check before hauling out and taking to service?
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-26-2005, 5:22 PM Reply   
it is possible that it is low on fluid. They have leaked on the line or right where the line connects to the ram on rare occasion.
Old     (supralaunch21v)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-26-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
problem solved. added fluid (transmission fluid in case you were wondering) and works like a charm. didn't think i would have used that much fluid in 5 months.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-26-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
I'd check for leaks. I wouldn't think it should use any.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-27-2005, 5:05 AM Reply   
I have the hydraulic plate on my '04 Moomba. 2 years now and hasn't used any fluid. Definitely check for leaks.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-27-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
Is that something anyone's seen offered in the aftermarket?

Curious, when you have the plate all the way up, does your boat porpoise?
Old     (supralaunch21v)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-27-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
go to http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/. All sorts of information on wake plates or trim tabs and they make the one used on the Supra. I have found that it does make a difference on the 21v. It does plane out quicker and will ride a bit smoother when in use. I rarely put it all the way down. Typically 3/4 down when just cruising or for hole shot. I will adjust to 3/4 up just as perfect pass starts to kick in for wakeboarder. The wake with 3/4 up gives much more pop. It will help correct some porpoising if you get into some choppy water - just start working the plate down in small increments to give the boat time to adjust and react.
Old     (supralaunch21v)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-27-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
Sparky Jay & Randy, I agree - you would think it would be a pretty closed system. I felt along the line where I could and looked around the engine compartment for signs of leak but could not find any. I am going to keep a better eye on it now.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-27-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
The Moomba definitely planes out quicker with the plate all the way down. I ride with it about in the middle. Seems to be a good mix between pop and ramp. On the Moomba with it all the way up, it will definitely porpoise. Any leak or air in a hydraulic system will counteract the mechanical advantage that hydraulics provide. The way the engines are in the compartments, it can be a real pain to locate a leak.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-28-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
21v -- we've had to top off our '02 22 ssv every 1.5 seasons or so. No big deal.

(Message edited by supraman on August 28, 2005)