Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Wakefreak)      Join Date: May 2013       05-28-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
After 2 weeks of gettin the courage to attempt the hs backroll i finally did and it was a disaster i made a decent cut but i honestly left the wake spinning and twisting havin no clue what I was doing. I hurt my neck a little after 3 attempts with the same result. Now I am nervous about attempting it again. Can I have so advice on how to execute the hs back roll and advice to build my confidence.

BTW I don't suck at wakeboarding I have my 3's on bothe sides I'm just hesitant on this particular invert. Thanks for the help!
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-28-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
sounds like you are letting the handle out when you are rotating. keep the handle close to your body and that might help.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-28-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
Sounds like you are probably looking back over your front shoulder (and closing your eyes) and just spinning wildly. In addition to keeping the handle in, I think it is commonly said to put your ear to your back shoulder and tuck your chin. Anyways, if you had video, there could be much more constructive feedback.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-28-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
Mexican rolls are the way to go... For sure... Mine started as a Mexican roll and has progressed into a kind of hybrid roll that looks slow and stylish and will be good for learning all different kinds of variations, go this route. Anyways, hit the wake as you normally would for a heelsode jump, as you pop throw your head down to your knees (as if you were front flipping off a dock) commit and you'll come right around. Feel that out, land a few, and as you gain confidence edge a touch extra just before you do that pop and you will roll out the back a bit, end up in a half Mexican/progressive backroll. This roll is better to learn because its not about just edging at the wake but jumping and popping, hybridi rolls make learning other tricks a bit easier ( opinion here) and will cut down on Impact, if you come up short you'll be landing on your front hip and butt NOT your nose, side, face etc.

My profile pic is a Mexican roll, you can see my front hip coming around and squaring to the water not my front foot
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-28-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
Do a few straight wake jumps before you give it a shot next next time. Focus on shorter cuts using a good progressive edge and loading up the line. When you load the line properly, you can do a wake jump on a five foot cut, and that is a huge part of doing backrolls. Doing the straight wake jumps will help you out with the timing required to do the trick, because at the top of the wake you want to essentially put yourself through a loop de loop.

It sounds to me like you are leaving the wake early and just hucking the roll. You want to take a short progressive edge in and make sure you ride to the top of the wake. As you leave the top of the wake, look up and back over your left shoulder. This will initialize the cartwheel rotation (tucking your head down turns it into a mexican backroll) you think of when you see normal backrolls.

Keep the handle pinned to your lead hip and try not to let it out. The further from your hip it is, the slower your rotation will be. So keep the handle in tight and keep your eyes open. As your roll comes around you can look down to spot your landing.

The keys to the trick are having a good progressive cut and loading the line. The line tension from loading the line is what actually makes the rotation work like it does. That's why if you let the handle out, the roll slows down, because it lessens the tension, and vice versa for keeping it in tight.

That's a lot of information so if you need some clarification, let me know.