Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Mav            04-27-2014, 10:44 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a set o tower speakers or just cans I can put some speakers into. Where is a good place to look? Looked on ebay but the Pyle tower speakers have bad reviews and that's kinda my price range

Thanks in advance
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 11:20 PM Reply   
What are you trying to accomplish with the speakers?
Are you wanting to have them for just in boat music, while surfing, wakeboarding? The type of speaker you want will depend on what you want them for. Normal speakers will work for more in boat music, smaller, cheaper HCLDs will work for surfing, but you will want larger, more powerful HCLDs for wakeboarding.
Old    Mav            04-28-2014, 5:18 AM Reply   
I would love to hear music while I'm wakeboarding, if that's possible over the drone of an outboard.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-28-2014, 5:25 AM Reply   
Better be ready to spend 1500+ then. The good HLCD speakers are pretty expensive. I was looking to add some to my boat and couldn't find any cheap ones. Almost everyone recomended saving up some money and just getting the good ones from the beginning, so that what i plan on doing. I ordered all my ballast stuff so the CFO(wife) wouldnt exactly be ON BOARD with another 1500-2000 for stereo stuff. Good luck.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-28-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
You don't need to spend 1500 to hear it behind the boat. Either used high-end speakers (Buller, Exile, Wetsounds), or new low-end HLCD (Krypt) and an inexpensive Precision Power p600.2 would get you going for well under $1,000.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       04-28-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Krypt HLCDS with cans are < $500 on ebay. Use the PPI amp listed or a Rockford 400-4D at around $200 and you have < $700 invested total and they sound very good.

If you do go HLCD just don't underpower them.
Old    Mav            04-29-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
What is a hlcd? And I'm assuming, typical let's say car audio speakers won't broadcast that distance. Not trying g to be cheap just informed. I also have an outboard that doest charge the battery super fast. Will an amp draw too much on my battery?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-29-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
What is a hlcd? And I'm assuming, typical let's say car audio speakers won't broadcast that distance. Not trying g to be cheap just informed. I also have an outboard that doest charge the battery super fast. Will an amp draw too much on my battery?
Here is an old article on HLCDs:
http://earmarkcaraudio.com/articles/...er_anatomy.htm

The short version is HLCD = Horn Loaded Compression Driver. It is far more powerful than a conventional coaxial that is similar to a car door speaker and designed for listening at close proximity.
If the goal is hearing the tower speakers at wake range with any degree of intelligibility then you should go the HLCD route.
However, it is a mistake to go with a smallish 6.5" HLCD. The midbass driver will never keep pace with the more powerful horn tweeter and it makes for a very shrill and piercing listening experience.
There are a few 6.5" HLCD exceptions such as the Kicker or the Memphis. But you can't tame a speaker without giving up some max output. So it becomes more difficult to get authoritive output levels at wake range with a single pair of 6.5" HLCDs. The Kicker is impressive with the doubled up midbass drivers for a total of six side by side speakers. The Memphis HLCD would take two pair.
In a single pair I would start no smaller than a 7.7" or 8".
I urge you to wait and save for a tower product that has lasting value.
Old    Mav            04-29-2014, 8:00 PM Reply   
What would you say has lasting value. Sorry I'm new to the wakeboard scene. I have only been riding for 2 years and starting to try investing in equip
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-30-2014, 12:07 AM Reply   
Wetsounds definitely has lasting value. They are recognized as one of the best boat audio manufacturers and make their products specifically for the wake boat market. There are other makers out there that make quality marine speakers for your application, but everyone recognizes Wetsounds as a quality product.

If you are doing tower speakers, it is not necessary, but very useful to have an EQ to allow you to control the music between in boat and tower speakers. The Wetsounds WS420, including SQ and BT versions does a very good job at this.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       04-30-2014, 5:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
What would you say has lasting value. Sorry I'm new to the wakeboard scene. I have only been riding for 2 years and starting to try investing in equip
Lasting value would come from a product that provides long term satisfaction.....and not one that you quickly become disappointed with. There are so many boaters who have had to make the same tower speaker purchase twice because they were lured by a low price and getting it now. The classifieds are littered with examples. There is no savings in doing it twice.
Old     (flintwake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-30-2014, 7:26 PM Reply   
I couldn't see spending that much money on speakers so I went the cheapest route possible even with the amp. It sounds great. I didn't get a chance to adjust the gain on the amp last time so it's not turned up all the way but this is what I went with. You can here it wakeboarding pretty clear. If my amp goes out in 2 years I'll replace it with another and still be way under the price of a wetsounds. Most of the time we don't listen to it that loud if we've got the girls with us anyway.
you only need a 2 channell amp b/c these are not wired as 4 speakers but 2.

2 AWG distribution block for all the positives to common http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ger-SHD21.html $18.99
2 AWG wire from common to distribution block http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELDING-CABL...-/261080547842 $38.00
(2) of these distribution blocks for the front of the boat to run to the amps http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Fused-Powe...item5ae94a6598 $14.00 total
6 AWG to run from common perko and negative battery 1 to distribution blocks at front of boat http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELDING-CABL...item3cc9b8221c $30
tower speakers http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046 $293
tower amp http://www.audiosavings.com/products...ote/R8002.aspx $75.00
total=$468 (not including cans, i already had those on my boat with MB quart discuss speakers in them)
Old    Mav            04-30-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool! Thanks for the info!