Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-11-2012, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have a question about the ballast system on my supreme v208. It has two hard tanks in the back and a soft tank in the front. It has 3 reversible pumps. The back to pumps, when the tank is full, overflow as they should and you can see they are full. The front is the same obv.

Question is, when I empty them the back to empty through the same hole as the water is sucked up from but the front one is emptying out of the overflow hole. I like this a lot better because you can see when the tanks are empty and don't risk burning out the impeller if you forget.

My question is, is this plumbed up wrong in the back, is it supposed to empty visually. And further, if it is how does that plumbing look, I can't really understand how you can fill from one hole and empty from another using a single reversible pump???? I was talking to my friend with a mastercraft and he says his empty visually from the same overflow hole.

Thanks!
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-11-2012, 7:05 PM Reply   
In my mastercraft there is one hose with a check valve that runs from the thru hull below the waterline to the manifold. The manifold has 5 hoses coming off of it. 3 of them run the the pumps and 2 of them run to thru hulls above the waterline. When you reverse the pump, the check valve doesn't allow water to go out the thru hull below the waterline, so it is forced out the thru hulls above the waterline, so you can see it empty visually.

Last edited by jrw160; 03-11-2012 at 7:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-12-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Are the rear and front the same type pumps?

My rear sacs are run with reversible pumps, so the water exits the way it entered, through the under water thru-hull.

My front ballast has 2 pumps, a fill and empty. the empty pump dumps water out the side of the boat, above water line, through the same thru-hull as the overlfow.

so if your setup is like mine ,your fine.
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-12-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
I believe they are, maybe they did use 2 pumps for the front, but the pump was a reversible pump so I have no clue why they would waste money and use two of them?

I'm thinking I can just use check valves and make a T and the thru hull junction like justin was saying and re-route the water to the above waterline thru-hull. It would make it a lot better than turning off the music and sitting there trying to listen to the pump changing sound,
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2012, 10:39 PM Reply   
Strange. Sounds like whom ever installed the ballast system had a great ear. They must have known right when to turn the pumps off. I have never seen a Supreme with reversible pumps from the factory. They are the only manufacturer that I know of that still transom mounts the Attwood Tsunami 1200 fill pumps.

Jamie, You are correct. By adding a tee fitting and two check valves per pump you can divert the water to drain above the water line. I have attached a diagram below.

You will need to decide if you are going to add a new thru-hull for the drain or if you are going to try and use the vent port that is already in use. If you are going to share the port you will need another wye or tee and another check valve. This will prevent water from pushing back into the vent port when draining.

Last edited by spencerwm; 03-12-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: I never get it right the first time.
Old     (jamie392)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-13-2012, 1:12 AM Reply   
perfect thanks a lot. Looks like I will need a bunch of check valves but I'm happy to do this properly because I never use my ballast because of the frustration of trying to always listen to it empty and end up going to long and blowing my impellers. It came from the factory with the jabsco reversible pumps, but it is possible that maybe they used two tsunami pumps for the front one because it makes no sense why they would not put check valves anywhere in the system except for the front ballast tank.

thanks a lot for the diagram!