Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            08-20-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Does anyone know about The Bonus Army without looking it up?

Here are some clues:
1. It involved many people marching due to a bad economy.
2. It involved three of America's greatest military hero's: Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then Maj. George S. Patton, and Dwight D. Eisenhower.
3. It can be compared to the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-20-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
If I remember correctly, it was when WWI veterans were to receive a bonus from the US government, which was granted in the 20's. The vets were not entitled to receive the bonus until 1944 or 45. When the Great Depression struck, the vets marched on D.C. demanding their bonus immediately (I am pretty sure this was in 1932).

In this instance, the men listed under clue # 2, were the "enemy" and conquered the Bonus Army.
Old    SamIngram            08-20-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Wow, Jeremy, if you didn't look it up you are the only person I have ever met that knows about this little known event...

I originally read about it when reading a book called Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Are you a "history buff", or just know about this stuff?
Old    bigdtx            08-20-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
That's a well known incident in American history - I would hope you wouldn't have to look it up.
Old    SamIngram            08-20-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
No one I know, including all ages, knows about it.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-21-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
I am a war buff (especially WWII), but in my 2nd semester of US HIstory (I was a History major before switching to Mathematics), I had a great professor who hit on this topic. He would lecture every class without a book or notes, he would come into class and sit down (he was handicapped) and just begin lecturing off the top of his head. I had never heard of it before his class, so I got a bit more info about it after his lecture.

Do you think it is often overlooked or not mentioned because of the people that were involved in disbanding the vets?
Old    SamIngram            08-23-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I think it is overlooked because this is one of the best examples of where our government turned on its citizens, war veterans no less! Then to compound the problem, many of our greatest Generals were directly involved.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
I'm a little fuzzy on what I remember so don't take anything I say as certain.

But the 'Army' was encamped in a cardboard shanty town on the Anacosta flood plain, marching or about to march on DC in protest. MacArthur was called out (by Hoover?) to block them and run them out.

And he did.

There are 'inflammatory' pictures of him at the time, riding a steed as some vainglorious calvary officer of a bygone era, all fancy and pompous ... as his troops put the camp to flames.

If Hoover weren't already un-popular enough, this event sealed the deal for the following administration to be Democrat.
Old    SamIngram            08-24-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
The Bonus Army