Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-08-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Well, I had some time off this week, so I started the install... I have been buying components over the last few weeks, and the majority of the stuff is here now...

I'm a complete rookie at this, but I like to build stuff so I thought it would be fun to try and do most of the work myself...

This is my first sub box EVER... And I have to say, it's not quite as easy to build as I thought it would be.

My first blunder was putting the first coat of resin on without mixing any hardener... NICE! Rookie mistakes! I had to scrape it all off and add some hardener to it.. UGH.

The area under the helm is massive, so there is plenty of room to build a box to spec per the JL Audio website. I'm building the ported one...

I'm still up in the air about weather to show off the sub and the box, of use the facade that was there before so it will be hidden...

Will there be any difference in the bass if the sub is firing into my knees VS into the starboard side of the boat?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-08-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
Keep posted, because I am going to be finishing up (hopefully) late next week when I have some more time and I KNOW I am going to have some questions...

I'll start off with this one... If I have 2 or 3 deep cycle batteries for the stereo, and then one for starting, will this kill my alternator or the batteries if I select "both" on the perko?
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-08-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
I tried that once and the 90amp fuse on my starter fried. I have 3 stereo batteries and 2 starting batteries. I keep the stereo separate from everything, except that one time.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
C.R. get an automatic relay and you won't have to worry about it. The relay will isolate for you and you'll never have to touch the switch unless you drain your batteries down.

I've got a 4 battery stereo bank and 1 battery for starting/emergency. Works great for me.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-09-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
Totally agree with Nubu - this is the system we use for customers and works great; especially on 2-3 battery systems :-)
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-09-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
Any links for an automatic relay? I don't know ANYTHING about them.

Will it hurt if I have 3 new deep cycle batteries, and then keep the other 2 that came with the boat separate on the other side of the relay?

Also, any of you guys have experience with firing a sub towards the rear of a boat vs the side?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Here ya go http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/387
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-09-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
Hate,

Thanks for the link.... I still need to look into it a bit more, but I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go:

Battery charger: http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/marine-chargers/TPro-220.html

Then, I'm gonna add this little jewel: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329

I was going to keep the 2 batteries that are currently in the boat and use them for starting, then buy 3 new AGM deep cycle batteries, but now I'm thinking I need to just take the older batteries out of the system all together??? Thoughts?

my audio system is going to consist of:

alpine pdx1000.1 (jl 13w6 sub)
alpine pdx 150.4 (in boat speakers polk db651)
alpine pdx 150.4 (wetsounds double up)

how many batteries would you guys recommend for the stereo bank considering I would like to play my radio LOUDLY for 4-6 hours while tied up at the cove? The Batteries I am going to get are the DEKA 8a31's... They are rated at 105AH ea.