Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
I had a transom remote installed yesterday on my 04 X2 and the people didn't install it where I wanted them to. They put it to low, they put it in between where is says Wakeboard edition and Mastercraft. It is only about 5 inches above the teak. Is this going to be ok? I know water is going to be all over it when i stop in the water. I have been all in a mess because if It's not going to work I now have a hole in the hull of my boat. Please help!!! Will it be ok??Upload Like for instance on this pic it would be touching the top of the M on Mastercraft. Is it going to be ok
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
is it waterproof? If so than dont worry, if not, make them relocate it and fix the glass.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Remotes are water resistant. Not water proof. There is a difference. They can usually take spray and such but continuous direct blasts will ruin it. It also depends on the remote.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Its a clarion remote! (pic) and I have contacted the place that installed it. They said they would move it but wouldn't pay to fix the hole!!!
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
OMG what a dumb a$$. The stereo install Im sure had no idea what he was doing or anything about wakebording because they would have know'n the locating they picked was not designed for a remote.

The remote is water proof and can take a beating but holding back all the water pressure that it will incounter at that location when your swim deck is underwater is questionable. I have drilled remotes into swim decks that could handle that type of water pressure. I dont know if the remote itself can handle the water pressure. But I know the hole I drilled was so tight the remote could fit and not leak with out silicone or a backing plate. So to answer your question The remote might not leak depending on how tight it fits in the hole they drilled. best way to find out if load up your boat and drop it in the water and then get back there with a flash light and see if you have any water commmig in. I bet if it leaked it wouldnt be that much.
Worst case you could have someone fill the hole and spot in the gell coat and put Master craft sticker over the old hole location. I bet you would never know.
Or you could make a plug to fill the hole have the plug painted to match the gell color. It wouldnt be that big of a deal. You could have the plug machined from Aluminum or Plastic. These plug's could make the rear of your boat 100% waterproof.
I guess it just depends on how you wanna fix it and or if the location leaks or dosent work 4 you.
Sorry this happend to you. I hate to see people's boats get dammaged from not well thought out stereo installs.

You ever seen a screw threw the side of the hull because some knuckle head installer thought he could screw a 2inch drywall screw into the side of your boat to mount a amp. YES this kind of thing happens all the time.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Thanks "G" I don't know what I'm going to do. I have been a nervous wreck. I always baby my boat and this drives me nuts!!!! I just hope it will be ok and the remote can stand up to taking a beating from the water. Thanks again!!!! That is really weird. I looked at previous posts about transom remotes. Found one that had some pics you had posted and just got done sending you a P.M about it. Before I even knew you posted here
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-14-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
Brandon i will first start off by saying I feel for you on this and truly does suck. However, i've got to ask the question that might be going thru everyone's mind...did you not discuss w/ the installer where you wanted the transom remote installed? Communication on the front end would have saved you the heartache your having to deal with.

I would convince the installer to split the cost of getting the hole fixed.

Good luck with the situation!!!
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Yes!! I told him where I wanted it and he said there was miss communication between him and the installer. I found another picture where I can describe it better. It is mounted right to the left of the grab bar in between the wakeboard edition and mastercraft, about 2 inches to the left of the bar. What do you guys think??? Be ok or need to move it???Upload
Old     (bladeaustin)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-14-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
I have a Sony remote and the same thing happened to me. When my remote gets wet the LCD does not work but the rest of the buttons will work as normal.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
It's not too low. I think that the remote will still work, for a while at least.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
brandon if the dealer told you it was a miss comunication between him and his people he should offer to move it and do the repair at his cost. that is acceptable customer service. i know thats what mine would do.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Thanks guys!! I have been all tor up over this!! What a bunch of Dumb A** installers. Will never go back to them
Old    Ben Kerran            03-14-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Give it a try, maybe it will work fine. Work with the shop and let them know you are willing to TRY it as is. If there are any issues you expect them to move it and repair the damage. If this was a mis-communication between shop owner and installer, any stand up shop would take care of getting it repaired. That is a pretty shady place if they refuse.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
I guess that's all I can do is try it out and see what happens!!!
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-14-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
for clarification, where did you tell the shop owner you wanted it installed? did you get it in writing on the work order or whatever they use to write up the order??
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-14-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
This is why I do stuff myself. Sorry to hear about this brandon. There is no doubt you'll have problems with the remote there it's just a matter of time. I'd make them pay for the fiberglass and gelcoat repair at your dealership, as well as refund anything they charged you for the install.
Old     (cdiesel)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-14-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I sure hope you do not load your boat up like we do........

Upload
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-14-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
HAHAH man you guys must live in heaven and angels running the stereo install shops! Most places around here only want your address on the work order so they can come by that night so they can steal all the gear they installed back... I wouldn't ever trust those installer shops. He's going to be lucky to get a refund let alone glass/gel repairs.
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-14-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Diesel!! Makes me feel AWESOME!!!!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-14-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
You'll never be able to do or get a decent gell repair job. Try to keep the remote as dry as possible. leave it alone and have fun 70' behind your boat.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Just an FYI - Fusion Marine Audio (Fusioncaraudio.com) just came out with a totally IP5 rated Remote that should fit that hole they drilled...

If it were me I'd run the clarion til it dies (I'd give it a year.... those remotes do mist up and take on water after a few drenchings) then switch out to the new fusion stuff. It's not badly priced and is the most waterproof stuff I'm aware of right now.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
That Fusion remote looks exactly like the Boss unit I had back in 2004. It would stop working with two or three drops on it, IP5?

Brandon,
I recommend you run the remote until it fails, which I am pretty sure will happen fairly soon. Get them to give you an additional remote. When it does just unplug it and replace it with the www.h2owaves.com waterproof remote in the same location or surface glued under the vent. Forget the repair job if your boat is flake. The h2owaves remote is compatible with your clarion system, plug and play.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-14-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
MikeSki - No, new unit, totally sealed :-)
It is definitly IP65 Rated (Crap, just realised I typed IP5 haha!) Sorry, my mistake. It is totally sealed though front and rear - can actually be submerged from what I can see from the demo units I've seen. I'm about to begin selling it in the UK - have been really impressed with it.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-14-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
It would be hard for me not to beat their a$$ on the spot, seriosly. It reminds me of when I had sugery on my ankle. The doctor made me take a magic marker and put an X on the correct ankle he was operating on just to prevent this kind of mishap.

I secon the comment above, I do my own maintenance, drilling, and basically anything that doesn't involve the computer on my boat because of boneheads like those guys.

I feel for you. I would have to get if fixed if I were you and then you and probably only you will still see the patch job.
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-14-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
I would make them move it where you wanted it and make them pay to have the hole repaired where did you want it anyway?? what is the best place to put it? only reason I ask is that I'm about to install one.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-14-2008, 11:54 PM Reply   
That hole can be repaired to where you would never know it was ever there. It take a very skilled glass man. luckily my family happen to rent a building and shop to one. Jim Youngblood of Youngbloods pickleforks. He was one of the first guys if not the first to build a picklefork racing boat.

I have seen a guy hit a stump with his glass bass boat and put a huge spider web crack through the bottom and side of the boat. He basiclly took that chunk of the boat out and re built it from the start. It was very costly and time consuming but when he was done you never knew there was anything wrong with the boat in the first place. you just gotta find the right guy to get that hole fixed.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-15-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
The new clarion remote is waterproof. the remote they put in is no longer made. The new one willfit right in hole but has no led
Old     (bwillx2)      Join Date: May 2007       03-17-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Some people have listed a few on here, but is there any other remotes that are better and more waterproof than the clarion and would fit the same connections? Thank you all for the help.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Ok I guess it's time to stop messing around and fix this problem.

You can make a plug. This plug will #1 fill the hole and #2 make it water proof. This is somthing you can make and not have to bring your boat into the shop.

The plug will double as a remote holder. Im using the Alpine remote. Seeing is how this small remote just snaps into the holder that you make the remote itself dosent have to be water proof at all even though it is.

The I had a round Clarion remote in my transom/deck. I took the round remote out and made this plug/remote holder. Its the white piece. The black Alpine remote snaps into the holder so you can take the remote out if you want. The white plug stays mounted in the boat. And the remote floats so you can adjust the volume while sitting in the water or attach it to your life jacket and float. I had the white remote holder painted red to match the boat. If you want me to make you one and your not a cheep a$$ PM me and Ill whip somthing up 4 you LOL
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
Grant,

I have that same remote for the head unit in my boat. Very novel and interesting holder you fabricated for it.

Would it fit down snug in a cup holder?

Great looking work!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Would it fit down snug in a cup holder? Sorry I dont understand?