Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-01-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
Let me state this...i have never taken interest in Ford trucks but after seeing hatepain's pic of his truck setup w/ boat

it changed my thought. i know nothing about the F150, never sat in one. What year range would this FX4 be?? Before I waste my time going to a dealer and taking out of my water time I have a few questions:

1. Do these trucks with the 5.4L have any big issues?
2. Am I going to be disappointed with the interior and ride coming from a british suv and other german cars.
3. I was going to go with an escalade next time around but this has me thinking.

Any input would help! Thanks
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-01-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
That looks like a 2011+ truck with some add ons and possibly lowered. I have 4 friends with the newer 2011+ F150s and they love them. 2 of the guys came out of f250/350 diesels and said that the new f150s pull their boats just as well as their diesel trucks.

I had a company 2012 f150 Harley Davidson edition for a few weeks and holy crap did I love that truck. Ford has done major improvements to step away from the "work truck" image. With Touch screen monitors, LCD dash screen that shows loads of information ( tip angle, incline/decline angle, overweighted, HP management etc), heated and cooled seats, color changing interior LED lighting, Microsoft Sync. They make some bad ass trucks now. I love my f250 Harley diesel truck and I have thought a bunch of times to get into a new f150.

Certainly nothing like an Escalade as I have strongly considered that purchase as well. It all depends what you want to do with it. If you want luxury with a truck benefit, id highly look at the new f150s. Personally if you like the Escalade and want a real truck, Id look at a GMC 2500 Denali, big truck power, big truck weight handling and it comes with stock 22" rims just like the Escalade.

Handling wise it all depends on the model. The f150 harley ive riden you can real beat on and it doesnt feel like a truck. Some of the regular f150s do ride like a truck, The Raptor edition is awesome with massive power, loaded with options and bad ass styling.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-01-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
I have a 04 f150 4x4 xlt 5.4 crew cab and love it. bought it with 77k and now has 130k an runs perfect. It tows good. I average about 12-15 mpg driving and 8-11 towing depending on terrain. The Fx4 are nice but price out more for just a plush interior. My truck has every option a fx4 would have except my interior is cloth and not power seats and the dvd/nav system. I would buy another in a heart beat.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-01-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Let me add...leather is a must (last 4 cars have had it), sunroof/moonroof would be nice, going to miss the panaramic glass roof for sure. I know I can always add touch screen in dash so thats not a huge issue. I dont want it to ride like a truck, bed would be used to haul paddleboards, wakeboards, gear etc and the occasional landscaping material.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-01-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
I had an escalade and traded it in for a 2012 f-150 4x4 platinum with the Eco p
Boost engine. I love the truck. Rides nice on the highway, you feel bumps because it is a truck, the ride would not compare to a magnetic ride suspension on the escalade. However the combination of work truck, Luxury and comfort os perfect. I do believe that the interior of my platinum is nicer than my escalade.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-01-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Let me add...leather is a must (last 4 cars have had it), sunroof/moonroof would be nice, going to miss the panaramic glass roof for sure. I know I can always add touch screen in dash so thats not a huge issue. I dont want it to ride like a truck, bed would be used to haul paddleboards, wakeboards, gear etc and the occasional landscaping material.
Check out a 4x4 platinum trim level f150. I believe this will match exactly what you are looking for.
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-01-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
I agree one of my buddies has a fully loaded platnium package.. Dvd/Nav, Touch Screen, In dash computer, Front/rear captains seats, beautiful leather, interior LEDs, head/cooled seats... I love the truck... I love my big truck but sometimes its sure nice to have a smaller truck that can still pull the weight also
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-01-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
I had two different F350s and downsized to a F150 (2010). The cab is roomier than the 150. The family prefers the ride of the 150 when travelling with the boat than the 350. It still is a truck - in ride - but it is very comfortable and there is very little if none back end undulation on a bumpy highway.

I have a v210 sanger - the 150 handles pulling it just fine. I can feel a difference between the 350 and 150 in that the 350 made me forget I was pulling a boat. Up the very steep Cuesta grade out of San Luis Obisbo, CA I would be able to pass others at 60 with the boat with no problem. The F150 I'm with traffic. Also, I can feel the boat "push" the 150 around a bit. Nothing bad but we are talking the difference between a heavy duty truck and "family" truck.

I have never had a problem pulling the boat and trailer from the water. It is a great vehicle for pulling and a very comfortable passenger vehicle. As someone else said - leather - I chose cloth wish I hadn't done that.

Common problem - Hate probably can detail this more from a dealer perspective - but many of the ford v8's of recent have had a weird shifting issue where the car seems to want to lurch at times when shifting gears at very low speeds. I have it, my wifes Explorer has it and my buddies Ford has it and I have heard it from others.

Would I buy one again. Absolutely.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-01-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Here is my rig, platinum F140 4x4 with ecoboost
Attached Images

Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-01-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
When I first got my '11 F150 company truck (5.0), I really noticed that "lurch" thing, but it didn't take long to get used to it. Haven't even noticed it or thought about it until you brought it up.
I wouldn't consider it a problem and as well as the trans works (I liken it to an Allison in the Dmax's) it's not a prob.
One potential problem I've noticed,only have about 25k mi on mine, is the tq convertor seems to drain down almost daily, but not all the time. Probably 50% of the time, if you start it up after sitting overnght or longer and put it in gear right away, takes about 5sec before it will move. Kinda like my old '70 Chevy witha wore out TH350 trans!

Otherwise, not being a FOrd guy ever, but having had close to 20 F series company trucks, the new '11 and up are a HUGE improvement, IMO. I wouldn't even look at a 5.4 if I had to tow with it. Not unreliable, just gas sucking turds.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-01-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
I actually went and drove Dodges and Fords last weekend. The Dodge felt like a car. The Ford on the other hand was awesome! I drove a new crew cab 4x4 with the ecoboost. It was freaking amazing and I was able to negotiate a great price at a $31K, it was a stripped down base model. Anyhow, I was getting ready to sign my paperwork when a guy came in yelling and screaming asking for the manager. Apparently he had bought a new F150 in January and has had the truck in and out of service five times for turbo/engine related problems. He was irate. Anyhow, I got gunshy and backed out of the deal. I told the dealer that I wanted to research the ecoboost, since I had done none at that point. Anyhow, three days later and the dealer now wants $38K for the truck. I think the truck drove, felt, and looked amazing.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-01-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
Here are a few of my F150 Platinum Ecoboost. Friggin LOVE the truck. Super luxurious on the inside, rides great, looks amazing.
Attached Images

Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-01-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Definitely sounds like you would be wanting something like the Platinum. The FX4 is pretty basic, it can come with leather but it does not have a lot of the bells and whistles that you would want. The F-150 is a great truck. That one in the photo looks like its one of the newer models. The 5.4 has now gone away, you would need to look at a 2010 or older in order to get the 5.4. We had a 5.4 for a while and it was a great motor, no issues and pulled the boat just fine. Ford has recently redone all of their motor offerings, here is a snapshot....

3.7L V6 - 302HP, 278 lb tq @ 4000RPM
3.5L V6 Twin turbo (ecoboost) - 365HP, 420lb tq @ 2500RPM
5.0L V8 - 360HP, 380lb tq @ 4250RPM
6.2L V8 - 411HP, 434lb tq @ 4500RPM

In my opinion, the Ecoboost is hands down the way to go. I'm biased it's my daily driver and what I pull my boat with. It is a great balance of fuel economy and towing capacity. I get about 19 Hwy, 17 city and about 14 towing the boat. My tow route is very curvy and hilly, so I don't know what you would get highway towing. I haven't towed with the 6.2, but the Ecoboost should tow better than all the other F-150 engines. The 6.2 has more HP, but the ecoboost has more of that low end torque. There are a bunch of threads on this forum about the Ecoboost. Also, check out some of the "what's your tow vehicle" threads. A lot of folks on here have some pretty awesome rigs that might give you some ideas.

It also sounds like you are at least somewhat interested in the appearance of the truck... take a look at the Raptor. I think that is one of the sexiest trucks ever made. It might not be the way to go if you are looking for a super plush suspension and handling (just guessing) and doesn't have a lot of engine options, but it might be worth a look.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-01-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
I'll play too....Best truck I have ever owned. PERIOD!!
Attached Images

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-01-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
Wow...didnt expect so
many responses so quick. Looks like there is a large group that love their trucks! Guess I should check these out first hand and do some more research. Thanks for the heads up about the 5.4 vs 5.0 vs Eco changes.

Ive always been a GM guy (whole family retired GM) until my recent 2 vehicles (Audi & Rover) but kinda getting tired of having to use the dealer for parts or ordering online for my services other than oil changes.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-01-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
I think Ford has on of the best interiors in all of their vehicles right now. I went through a tranny on my 05 but other then that I do still love my truck and a huge part of it was how much I like the interiors.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-01-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure you can get an FX4 loaded up with all your necesseties. The FX luxury package plus the premium discount package adds tthings like front buckets, 10 way adjustable drivers seat, memory adjustable pedals, leather, moonroof, navigation, power slide rear window, syn touch(I think), power fold heated mirrors, dual zone climate control, reverse sensing system, rearview camera, remote start,e tc.. I think with those packages your msrp is goin gto be around 45-47k. I think you might be able to get that for low 40's with the eco and maybe 40kish with the 5.0L? That is a for a crew cab 6.5' bed.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-01-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
I bought a '12 quad cab FX4 on Memorial weekend, fully loaded with Nav, sunroof, the 5.0L and pretty much everything. Sticker on it was over $47k, but my dealer was offering over $10k off in rebates, so I got it for around $37k. There are good deals to be had, you just have to wait until the rebates hit. I will say I was fooled by my local Dodge dealer offering $12k in rebates, only to find out that included certain rebates I could not qualify for (military, etc.). I went in to the Ford dealer being very skeptical about the rebates, given what I found out at Dodge, but to my surprise, Ford did not pull any of the rebates. This is my first Ford product and I sold my '08 Chevy TX Edition truck to get this one. 2 months in and I have not missed the Chevy one bit...
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-01-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
to be honest I am surpised we have made it this far in the thread without the stock pissing contest between brands- it has been a refreshing change after some of the recent threads on wake world.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-01-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
So what is the real skinny on the ecoboost? It looks like it is 50/50 based on what you read on the internet. They either work great, like the one I drove, or they have problems.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-01-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskonn View Post
to be honest I am surpised we have made it this far in the thread without the stock pissing contest between brands- it has been a refreshing change after some of the recent threads on wake world.
Dont jinx us now!!!

Tell me about it, maybe its bc those select few have stayed out of this thread. i dont want to hear about the other brands. I didnt ask for opinions of the other brands nor do I have any interest in them.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge this far today. Now I have homework to do when I get home.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-01-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
I've driven an Eco Boost, empty and it would get up and go! But so will my 5.0. Empty bed, tract control off, it'll peel the hides off well into third gear.
I'm sure the Eco will shine at altitude compared to the naturally aspirated 5.0, but if you're at low altitude, even towing in hills, the 5.0 pulls better than Hemi's and 5.3's IMO. (6sp auto and how it shifts may help that). I've put about 50% towing miles on my truck with 25k mi on it, many times well above the rated limit, like 14klb trailers, and while the stock P rated tires suck, even aired up to 60lbs and the @ss end needs helper springs to carry more than a sick monkey;s breakfast for tongue weight, the drivetrain was excellent.
I haven't seen actual mileage #'s that support the Eco getting better mileage then the 5.0 either.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-01-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Dont jinx us now!!!

Tell me about it, maybe its bc those select few have stayed out of this thread. i dont want to hear about the other brands. I didnt ask for opinions of the other brands nor do I have any interest in them.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge this far today. Now I have homework to do when I get home.
BTW, you should really just get a 3/4 ton Cummins diesel!
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-01-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
Thrall- My pops has the 5.0 and I have the ecoboost, gas mileage is pretty much identical, his is more consistent with mileage. Mine out tows his at heavier weights but at the 5-7k rate his tows pretty damn well, i can just get up and go a little quicker with a load. The main reason I got the ecoboost was that it was basically an extra 800 dollars at the time of the deal and it seemed worth the 800 dollars.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-01-2012, 4:17 PM Reply   
18,000 plus miles on my 11 F150 Eco Boost and tons of towing, still love it ! If you are coming from a lux Euro get the Lariat...so glad I did ! lovin it
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2012, 5:58 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 XLT SCREW ECOBOOST, i test drove the 5.0 and the ECO back to back. The 5.0 first then the ECO and didnt think twice about what i wanted. Tows like Crazy and havnt had 1 single problem. It tows the Xstar like a champ!
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-01-2012, 7:34 PM Reply   
The ecoboost will tow better than the 5.0. No question.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
To clear the air my truck is a 2012 FX4 withe the FX4 Appearance package and Luxery Package. Its stock out of the box with no modifications at all. As far as equipment goes this there's not much its missing. Full nav/DVD/sync, 12 speaker audio system, heated/cooled seats, power roof/slider, back up camera, power fold mirrors, you name it. They're far from basic and ride and drive damn near like a luxery SUV. I've had two 5.0s (going on my third later this week) and one Ecoboost and give the edge to the eco. Day to day driving I think they're pretty equal but when you tow the eco straight crushes. The truck I'm currently in is my fovorite vehicle ever so I ordered the identical one but with the short box.

Trim level is as follows:
Limited 2013 model only
Platinum
Lariat/FX4 -I think these are equals when you load up an FX4
XLT
SXT
XL

The reason in prefer the FX4 is its got a much sportier appearance, its monochromatic and has the best wheels save for maybe the limited which has 22's
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Yes I know how to spell luxury :-)
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-01-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up about the 5.4 vs 5.0 vs Eco changes.

Ive always been a GM guy (whole family retired GM) until my recent 2 vehicles (Audi & Rover) but kinda getting tired of having to use the dealer for parts or ordering online for my services other than oil changes.
I was going to say the only issue with the 5.4 is the power. It's okay, but nothing to rave about compared to the new powerplants. Check out the threads on the RV sites. You'll find the same info there (low in power, low in mpgs but high in bulletproofness), but in their minds it is diesel or nothing; for the most part.

I too was GM all the way until my last three purchases. 04 Honda (bought used in 09), 09 Honda (bought used in 11) and 12 Toyota (bought new). Ford was on my short list, but finding the heavy towing package I wanted was difficult, which ran up the value of the truck to the dealer. The same was true with the GMs. As for Ford, they have truly refined their fit, feel and ergos of the interior. Even yesterday, when I parked my new Toyota next to a new Ford at work, I was eyeballing the great interior in the Ford.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-02-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thrall- My pops has the 5.0 and I have the ecoboost, gas mileage is pretty much identical, his is more consistent with mileage. Mine out tows his at heavier weights but at the 5-7k rate his tows pretty damn well, i can just get up and go a little quicker with a load. The main reason I got the ecoboost was that it was basically an extra 800 dollars at the time of the deal and it seemed worth the 800 dollars.
$800 is a no brainer given their popularity. Easily get that on resale down the road I'd think.
Plus better towing to boot.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-02-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Going to check them out in the next few weeks and look at different packages. Going to be a tough call as I love the escalades (fit, finish & ride) outside of some of the the euro suvs. Thanks all for your help.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-02-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
FX4 is just an off road style package. On the older trucks Lariat is the top for plush interior and you can get a Lariat with the FX4 package. (upgraded shocks is all i think this is) I dont even know if they still offer the Lariat anymore did the Platinum Replace it?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-02-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have both; '08 Escalade 2WD and '11 Platinum F150 Ecoboost 2WD. Both are great for towing though the Escalade rides better due to the rear air suspension.

The F150 definitely gets better gas mileage. On average since I bought it (23k miles now) I've gotten 17.1mpg due to a lot of city driving. I have averaged 22mpg for a full tank of mostly highway driving. I can get around 14.5mpg towing the boat if I'm easy on it. At 65mph it will hold 6th gear while towing the boat even while going over bridges and overpasses.

The Escalade averages around 13.5mpg though my wife drives it mostly and has a heavy foot and is mostly city driving. Towing the boat it gets around 11.5mpg.

Overall, I really like both vehicles a lot though like someone else said, the Platinum's interior is nicer than the Escalade.

The Ecoboost emblems are gone since this pic. I also brushed the chrome side moldings though you really can't tell unless you are right up on it.

I got the Sienna Brown interior which seemed strange at first glance but it actually grew on me quickly. I like it much better than the grey.

Escalade with OEM style 24's.

I had a '08 F150 Limited prior to the new Platinum and though I still think that the '08 Limited is one of the best looking trucks stock trucks ever, it doesn't hold a candle to the newer F150's. Ride quality, cabin noise and build quality are dramatically better...dramatically. It had the 5.4 which I think is an absolute turd. The 5.4 in the F150 was way under powered and also got pretty poor gas mileage.

I had a oil pump failure at 58.5k miles, just under the 60k power train warranty and cratered the motor. Ford replaced it and within 3k miles, the new (factory rebuilt) motor started idling bad and smoking on start up. The warranty ended at 60k even though the motor was new so I traded it in.

It really looked good though. It kills me looking at the pics of it. I kinda wish I had kept it for my oldest son who is 4 and just dropped a new motor in it down the road.

Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
FX4 is just an off road style package. On the older trucks Lariat is the top for plush interior and you can get a Lariat with the FX4 package. (upgraded shocks is all i think this is) I dont even know if they still offer the Lariat anymore did the Platinum Replace it?
They still make the Lariat, 3 different levels of the lariat i believe. The platinum was essentially the Ford replacement for the Lincoln truck that they used to have. different seats, rear seat heaters etc... The other feature that comes standard on the platinum is the LED lighting that is throughout the truck that changes colors levels etc... It also comes with power running boards that come out when you open the door. I did not think I would like the power running boards but they have proven to be functional and awesome.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
I have both; '08 Escalade 2WD and '11 Platinum F150 Ecoboost 2WD. Both are great for towing though the Escalade rides better due to the rear air suspension.

The F150 definitely gets better gas mileage. On average since I bought it (23k miles now) I've gotten 17.1mpg due to a lot of city driving. I have averaged 22mpg for a full tank of mostly highway driving. I can get around 14.5mpg towing the boat if I'm easy on it. At 65mph it will hold 6th gear while towing the boat even while going over bridges and overpasses.

The Escalade averages around 13.5mpg though my wife drives it mostly and has a heavy foot and is mostly city driving. Towing the boat it gets around 11.5mpg.

Overall, I really like both vehicles a lot though like someone else said, the Platinum's interior is nicer than the Escalade.

The Ecoboost emblems are gone since this pic. I also brushed the chrome side moldings though you really can't tell unless you are right up on it.

I got the Sienna Brown interior which seemed strange at first glance but it actually grew on me quickly. I like it much better than the grey.

Escalade with OEM style 24's.

I had a '08 F150 Limited prior to the new Platinum and though I still think that the '08 Limited is one of the best looking trucks stock trucks ever, it doesn't hold a candle to the newer F150's. Ride quality, cabin noise and build quality are dramatically better...dramatically. It had the 5.4 which I think is an absolute turd. The 5.4 in the F150 was way under powered and also got pretty poor gas mileage.

I had a oil pump failure at 58.5k miles, just under the 60k power train warranty and cratered the motor. Ford replaced it and within 3k miles, the new (factory rebuilt) motor started idling bad and smoking on start up. The warranty ended at 60k even though the motor was new so I traded it in.

It really looked good though. It kills me looking at the pics of it. I kinda wish I had kept it for my oldest son who is 4 and just dropped a new motor in it down the road.

this is kind of funny- I used to have the limited edition truck, white, I then traded that in on an escalade. I loved the escalade, the engine and suspension with Magnetic Drive was hands down the best cruising vehicle I have ever owned. Driving with the tuned exhaust and 6.2 liter engine was like driving a sports car. Only reason I got rid of the escalade was that I was driving a lot of mile, about 80k a year AND more importantly a number of key contacts at my customers changed and I don't think they felt great about me driving a 70k ride, thought I was charging to much etc...

I now have a 2012 Platinum F 150 with Ecoboost, interior is off the charts and the technology is awesome. I don't know if I could have a vehicle without the sync system in the future.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-02-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
This is what I don't get about paying extra for the eco boost (saying this I have not actually run the numbers but Im sure someone here has). I have the 5.4 on my 2010 F150 and get 17.9 to 18.5 depending upon my freeway street mix. It doesnt seem as if the ecoboost is worth the extra money.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerTom View Post
This is what I don't get about paying extra for the eco boost (saying this I have not actually run the numbers but Im sure someone here has). I have the 5.4 on my 2010 F150 and get 17.9 to 18.5 depending upon my freeway street mix. It doesnt seem as if the ecoboost is worth the extra money.
In my opinion most people paying extra for the Ecoboost is for towing purposes. My 5.4 was not even close to the towing ability I have on the Ecoboost, the new 5.0 is closer to the Ecoboost but if you tow a lot the Ecoboost is the engine to have. It gives you the same torque curve as a diesel, being max torque is at a very usable 2500 RPM. If I was not towing much I would have just gone with the 5.0. the Ecoboost is also a lot quiter when towing a heavy load, small detail but it always fun to see the amazement on my passengers face when I am pulling my boat throught the texas hill country and you can't hear the engine.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-02-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
That makes sense. I do miss my 350 for that reason. How much is the upcharge for the eco?
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-02-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
I like my Escalade EXT better than the F150 Lariat I used to have. I think it looks nicer, it has a bigger 6.2L engine and is all-wheel drive which is sweet on slippery ramps. It's been about 5 years since I had the F150 but they look exactly the same except a little badging. This is good cuz most people won't know if it's older, it's bad cuz there are so many on the road that they all start looking the same. I like the ride in the Ford because it feels more like a truck, the caddy is a little soft for my taste but it works pretty good off road too. I also really like the mid-gate on the EXT, I use it all the time and find it much more convinient than a full sized, grocery getting SUV.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-02-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
That makes sense. I do miss my 350 for that reason. How much is the upcharge for the eco?
When I bought mine it was 800. I believe it is in the 1500 range now.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-02-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
The Eco upgrade is $895 in 2011 it was $750. If you're doing it for just the improvement in fuel economy it doesn't make fiscal sense. If on the other hand you want a more HP and torque as well as better towing its not to much to pay. If youre paying around invoice then its more like a $600 add.

The Platinum is a luxury vehicle. Double thick windshield, auto windsheild wipers, power deploy running boards, power tile/scope steering wheel, heated back seats. I've sold/shown them to several people with Mercedes/Lexus/BMW sedans that were blown away with how quiet it is and how nice the ride is.
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-02-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
Quote:

Owned 4 5.4's and now an Ecoboost, the two engines are not comparable. EB gets much better mileage than the best 5.4 and has gobs more power.

19K on the EB and not so much as a hiccup, love it.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-03-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
For me when i purchase a truck.... I'll probably go for the 5.0 for one reason...... Longevity.

I have no faith in a boosted engine lasting 10+ years and 300K which is how long i keep my vehicles. I'm guessing those turbos are very expensive to replace.

If i were to buy a new truck every few years, which it appears the OP does.... Then EB hands down..... Or maybe the 6.2 in Raptor form.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-03-2012, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
For me when i purchase a truck.... I'll probably go for the 5.0 for one reason...... Longevity.

I have no faith in a boosted engine lasting 10+ years and 300K which is how long i keep my vehicles. I'm guessing those turbos are very expensive to replace.

If i were to buy a new truck every few years, which it appears the OP does.... Then EB hands down..... Or maybe the 6.2 in Raptor form.
I do about 60k to 70k per year on my truck, so I will definitely have some feedback on reliability by this time next year. I am at 30K now.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-03-2012, 6:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
The Ecoboost emblems are gone since this pic.....

It really looked good though. It kills me looking at the pics of it.
Have you removed the offset front tag also for a true sleeper?

Your old truck definitely looked good.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-03-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post

100% agree
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
i have a 2011 eco boost 4door just turned 35k love it, i have towed just under 10k lbs no problems.
Attached Images

Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
I do about 60k to 70k per year on my truck, so I will definitely have some feedback on reliability by this time next year. I am at 30K now.
Umm not to be a a-hole but pretty much all diesels are turbo and it is not uncommon to run them far into 200k plus. The fact that it produces peak power at such a manageable RPM should in theory mean less wear and strain on the the motor. Obviously they are still new and none of us have a crystal ball. Only time will tell.
Wrong reply i meant to reply to the post above about the turbos
Old     (LD50)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-03-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
One more for the record. I plan on keeping this one for a long time. Couldn't be happier with it.

Name:  truckboat.JPG
Views: 4884
Size:  209.3 KB
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
Love the raptor. I heard there was gonna be an ecoboost raptor. Can anyone confirm?
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-04-2012, 12:42 AM Reply   
Is the ecoboost a 6 cylinder?
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-04-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
I have a 11 raptor, that i tow my Malibu lsv with. Love this truck! I get more comments at the gas station about the truck, than the boat! It tows great, gets okay mileage,and is super comfy on long trips. This is the first ford I have owned,and i am very impressed.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-04-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboom12 View Post
Umm not to be a a-hole but pretty much all diesels are turbo and it is not uncommon to run them far into 200k plus. The fact that it produces peak power at such a manageable RPM should in theory mean less wear and strain on the the motor. Obviously they are still new and none of us have a crystal ball. Only time will tell.
Wrong reply i meant to reply to the post above about the turbos
Diesels are not gas motors. They are built differently (heavy) and run at half the RPMs a turbo gas motor will.

Any type of forced induction creates power and with that comes heat. Heat is the number one cause of wear and destruction on any internal combustion engine. Our point regarding forced induction (turbo in this case) vs naturally aspirated is that a larger, but naturally aspirated motor will last twice as long as a smaller, more taxed, forced induction motor.

All diesels are not perfect. Look a the 6.0 Ford debacle. When introduced next to the 7.3 it was a hot rod and I had one friend purchase the 7.3 and another the 6.0. Both 2003's. The 6.0 went back to the dealer for a recall retune (detune) and now it is a dog compared to what it used to be. Why it that? Diesels last forever right? It was due to a underdesign and a overzealous desire to have this smaller motor make as much or more power than the other diesel guzzling 7.3 liter. In the end, the 7.3 is worth twice as much, has not had the EGR replaced already and the owner is not considering headbolt replacement.

Finally, how many old turbo'd vehicles do you see running around? The Turbocoupe Thunderbird? The Buick GS? The Shelby Charger? All had oil and water running to the turbos which some of the early American gas motors lacked. Some of those just listed were fairly limited, but the list of previously turbo'd vehicles goes on and on and you rarely see one still on the road after a few years. More recently Buick supercharged a Regal. Cool I thought. After only a few years, they are also almost non-existant. Why? Same problem. Forced induction reduces a life of an engine and when an owner it told he'll spend $8K for a motor, they junk the car and move on.

As for the new Toyota that I purchased. TRD actually offers a supercharger kit for it. A factory add on, which in my mind means it is OEM approved and warranty certified. In reality, if I were to be greedy and want the make my Tundra have big block numbers and equal or surpass those of the Ecoboost, I will reduce the life of the motor and it will raise it's ugly head after the warranty is out.

A motor does not have to grenade to fail. The additional heat breaks down the oil, thus reducing lubrication and taxes all sealing components due to the boost in the cylinder. Those sealing and wearing items include the pistons, rings, valves, guides and probably even the head and head gaskets. Of course, that is my opinion and I could be wrong.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-04-2012, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakintime View Post
Is the ecoboost a 6 cylinder?
Yes

3.5 Liter (I think)
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-04-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
Diesels are not gas motors. They are built differently (heavy) and run at half the RPMs a turbo gas motor will.

Any type of forced induction creates power and with that comes heat. Heat is the number one cause of wear and destruction on any internal combustion engine. Our point regarding forced induction (turbo in this case) vs naturally aspirated is that a larger, but naturally aspirated motor will last twice as long as a smaller, more taxed, forced induction motor.

All diesels are not perfect. Look a the 6.0 Ford debacle. When introduced next to the 7.3 it was a hot rod and I had one friend purchase the 7.3 and another the 6.0. Both 2003's. The 6.0 went back to the dealer for a recall retune (detune) and now it is a dog compared to what it used to be. Why it that? Diesels last forever right? It was due to a underdesign and a overzealous desire to have this smaller motor make as much or more power than the other diesel guzzling 7.3 liter. In the end, the 7.3 is worth twice as much, has not had the EGR replaced already and the owner is not considering headbolt replacement.

Finally, how many old turbo'd vehicles do you see running around? The Turbocoupe Thunderbird? The Buick GS? The Shelby Charger? All had oil and water running to the turbos which some of the early American gas motors lacked. Some of those just listed were fairly limited, but the list of previously turbo'd vehicles goes on and on and you rarely see one still on the road after a few years. More recently Buick supercharged a Regal. Cool I thought. After only a few years, they are also almost non-existant. Why? Same problem. Forced induction reduces a life of an engine and when an owner it told he'll spend $8K for a motor, they junk the car and move on.

As for the new Toyota that I purchased. TRD actually offers a supercharger kit for it. A factory add on, which in my mind means it is OEM approved and warranty certified. In reality, if I were to be greedy and want the make my Tundra have big block numbers and equal or surpass those of the Ecoboost, I will reduce the life of the motor and it will raise it's ugly head after the warranty is out.

A motor does not have to grenade to fail. The additional heat breaks down the oil, thus reducing lubrication and taxes all sealing components due to the boost in the cylinder. Those sealing and wearing items include the pistons, rings, valves, guides and probably even the head and head gaskets. Of course, that is my opinion and I could be wrong.
No offense but wow is that a lot of drivel, your understanding of current turbo technology is limited so it seems curious you would take the time to write several paragraphs about it.

It's 2012 and a DI low rev'ing engine is nothing like a 80's high strung 4 banger with early turbo technology. And the displacement of the 6.0 was not root cause of the problems.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-04-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooski View Post
No offense but wow is that a lot of drivel, your understanding of current turbo technology is limited so it seems curious you would take the time to write several paragraphs about it.

It's 2012 and a DI low rev'ing engine is nothing like a 80's high strung 4 banger with early turbo technology. And the displacement of the 6.0 was not root cause of the problems.
Wow right back. The basic turbo tech has not changed and no offense but an internal combusion engine is still just an air pump and a turbo is a compressor to force air (where the term forced induction comes from) into the air pump. The only difference is that there are much more electronic controls and all of them have intercoolers. Also, whether it be a motor turning 7000 rpm or a motor that is more comfy turning 3500 or even 1800, the end result is the same in the internal combustion engine world. I may not know as much as you do, (are you click or clack?) but thiswhat I do know. Forcing air into a motor, bumping the compression (be it static or dynamic) and getting more power costs longevity. The ecoboost is still new. Let's see what's up in five years with the 2011 models that now have 100,000 plus miles.

Also, the displacement of the 6.0 did have something to do with the failure. The problem was overstressing a smaller motor to make the same or more power from the reduced displacement. Or are you saying that the motor was underdesigned due to the planned boost?

Why don't you explain and debunk my several paragraphs and please don't cut and paste from some website or fill it full of acronyms which impress us all. I just love it when people like you take the time to really contribute to threads like this.

BTW, your truck has 19,000 miles on it and not even a hiccup. That's great. Please come back and post when it has 10X that much.

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 08-04-2012 at 7:20 PM.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-04-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
I will have 100K in about 6 months so I will let you know.

Also I believe the main issue with the 6.0 was the high pressure oil pump system to power the injectors and EGR problems. I have about 10 friends with 6.0 ford engines they bypassed the EGR and change their oil on time, they all have in the 200k to 300k. FYI I am not a turbo expert so please take my info with a grain of salt.
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-04-2012, 10:58 PM Reply   
I have a 2012 EcoBoost Platinum. Had several Escalades and most trucks. The Platinum F150 is the nicest truck on the market IMO and the back seat room is huge. Gas milage isn't nearly as good as Ford says it is but it tows very well.

Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-05-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
Wow right back. The basic turbo tech has not changed and no offense but an internal combusion engine is still just an air pump and a turbo is a compressor to force air (where the term forced induction comes from) into the air pump. The only difference is that there are much more electronic controls and all of them have intercoolers. Also, whether it be a motor turning 7000 rpm or a motor that is more comfy turning 3500 or even 1800, the end result is the same in the internal combustion engine world. I may not know as much as you do, (are you click or clack?) but thiswhat I do know. Forcing air into a motor, bumping the compression (be it static or dynamic) and getting more power costs longevity. The ecoboost is still new. Let's see what's up in five years with the 2011 models that now have 100,000 plus miles.

Also, the displacement of the 6.0 did have something to do with the failure. The problem was overstressing a smaller motor to make the same or more power from the reduced displacement. Or are you saying that the motor was underdesigned due to the planned boost?

Why don't you explain and debunk my several paragraphs and please don't cut and paste from some website or fill it full of acronyms which impress us all. I just love it when people like you take the time to really contribute to threads like this.

BTW, your truck has 19,000 miles on it and not even a hiccup. That's great. Please come back and post when it has 10X that much.
I'm not going to turn this into a pissing match or address your points individually, you're just way too off base. The turbo's themselves have evolved immensely in recent years, hell look at the Subaru and Mitzubishi's, many heavily modified engines with high daily driver miles. The DI turbo tech is not new in the least bit, many of the European manufactures have been utilizing this tech with success for years. There's no undue stress on a turbo engine if it's designed to work within specific tolerances.

I would not worry about turbos or the drive train, too much evidence to support the reliability. I am curious to see if there are any carbon build up issues with the DI tech which has been a problem on some vehicles, and even the reliability of the the injectors themselves is something to keep an eye on.
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-06-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
I towed with the Raptor for the first time yesterday and was very impressed!
Attached Images

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-06-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
I would not worry about turbos or the drive train, too much evidence to support the reliability. I am curious to see if there are any carbon build up issues with the DI tech which has been a problem on some vehicles, and even the reliability of the the injectors themselves is something to keep an eye on.
This ^^^ if I had a concern about my Ecoboost, would be it. The DI system in the Ecoboost works at something like 35 times more pressure than a conventional fuel injection system. I actually stopped at the dealer a few days after I bought my truck to ask about the loud ticking sound under the hood. I felt like an idiot when the service writer explained that it was the injectors.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
Chevy/GM girl my whole life....got a Raptor in June and am a proud/pleased owner. It tows so much better than any vehicle I've ever had. Don't be afraid to switch to the "dark" side! ;-)
Attached Images

Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-06-2012, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'm not going to turn this into a pissing match or address your points individually, you're just way too off base. The turbo's themselves have evolved immensely in recent years, hell look at the Subaru and Mitzubishi's, many heavily modified engines with high daily driver miles. The DI turbo tech is not new in the least bit, many of the European manufactures have been utilizing this tech with success for years. There's no undue stress on a turbo engine if it's designed to work within specific tolerances.

Maybe so, but the Internet is full of threads regarding reliability issues with Ecoboost. Like I said before, when I was at the dealership, ready to buy a new Ecoboost equipped truck, an irate customer came in yelling about his. According to him it had been in for the same problem 8 times and was trying to get it lemoned. It looks like there are a lot of lemoned Ecoboost F150's at the auction too. Eight show up in AZ alone, all 2011's though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
I actually stopped at the dealer a few days after I bought my truck to ask about the loud ticking sound under the hood. I felt like an idiot when the service writer explained that it was the injectors.
That should be the high pressure fuel pump.

Quote:
It looks like there are a lot of lemoned Ecoboost F150's at the auction too. Eight show up in AZ alone, all 2011's though.
How do you know they are lemons and what auction is it? They should be going through the Ford only auctions.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-07-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
That should be the high pressure fuel pump.

How do you know they are lemons and what auction is it? They should be going through the Ford only auctions.
All eight of them show AZ marked titles with "Manufacturer Buyback", are owned by Ford or Ford Credit, and are not eligible for CPO status. You can see them on both the openlane and the fcaccelerate auction sites.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
Odd, we haven't had to do a buy back in 2 years and it was on a Ford Edge. We sell a lot of trucks, the most in WA, and I haven't had any complaints from customers. This has just been our experience, so its not to say there aren't problems out there.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       08-07-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Odd, we haven't had to do a buy back in 2 years and it was on a Ford Edge. We sell a lot of trucks, the most in WA, and I haven't had any complaints from customers. This has just been our experience, so its not to say there aren't problems out there.
Do a Google search for "lemoned ecoboost" and all sorts of stuff comes up. Also try "Ecoboost shutter" and tons more stuff comes up. I'll probably still buy one if I can get the same deal $31k deal they offered me before, but I'll try to buy an extended warranty if I can.