Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
I have a prostar 205 w/ mastercraft trailer; single axle. The prop guard is really low and drags on everything. Anyone ever put a lift block or something to lift it up an inch or two??
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
The prop guard is SUPPOSE to drag - that's why they put them on there - so you drag it before your prop or rudder! add wheels.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2009, 7:23 AM Reply   
Ok, let me re-phrase.........its to low to the ground and needs to lifted an inch or two.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-27-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
what about if you add a lower drop hitch on your tow vehicle.....

and the prop guard is NOT suppose to drag... it's strictly for protection..
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-27-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
+1^^ I wouldn't mess with the trailer, they designed them pretty well. Drop hitch normally does the trick. Still for sale?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Lower the front & that should be better. Or you can move the axles below the springs & gain an inch or two for nothing but labor.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
First thought that came to mind is are the tires/wheels the correct size for the trailer? If it drags add some wheels to the guard.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-27-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
some people put caster wheels on the back of the trailer so it wont drag anymore but it takes alittle fabrication and you cant just put the wheels under the rudder guard.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-27-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
My buddy put a lift on his dual axle trailer because he would always scrape in his driveway. He put some bigger tires on the trailer and he said it rides much better.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
thanks guys; one of my main problems is when backing into the shop, its at an incline so its scraping. The tires are the correct size for the trailer. I may try a lower drop ball.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
BEFORE
Upload
FABBED SOME BRACETS
Upload
AFTER
Upload
Upload
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       05-27-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
I had the same trailer and same problem on my PS190 and we just took the U bolts off and flipped the axle over and gave us about a 6inch lift. Obviously that is TOO much lift but it worked very well and never had any issues with it.Upload
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-27-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
I have never added a lift to a trailer but have put some on several of the rigs i have owned. The idea is similiar, you will see more sway with blocks since the axle is now seperated further from the springs. This should be minimal with a 1" block. If you do go with a block i would definetly recommend beefing up the U bolts to take the extra strain but the stresses on a trailer axle should be less than on the back of my 95 ford. Easy insurance though since your going to need new U bolts anyway.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-27-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
Scotty,

Do you have issues loading the boat on the trailer now? Do you have to put the car very far in now because of the lift?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-28-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
BTW unless you want to mar your driveway don't use steel caster wheels - use poly plastic, the black ones you can find at any lowe's/Home Depot.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       05-28-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
no issues loading or unloading. Pulled it about 3x a week for all of last summer. The only issue i could see long term from my experience was the camber on the wheels. They may begin to wear differentlyi because the axel has a slight bow in it, however it was mininmal and we always kept good tires on our single axle trailer anyways.

If I had it to do over again, I totally would. Dragging that trailer around without the extra height was KILLING me scraping on everything!
Old     (saltare_inverts)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
I lifted my trailer three inches. I used longer u bolts and round metal tubing. I cut them to three inches welded endcaps on them and put them on.It is a two axle dorsey trailer with a 23.6 foot Supra. It was the best thing I have done. No more scraping, rides the same.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-28-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
I have a similar situation and hopefully someone can help. On a recent long range drive (about 4 hours each way) at one point I hit a pretty large pothole (not sure when) and the inside shackle on the lead tire flipped above the wishbone connector (see diagram). I was able to flip it back around pretty easily with a bottle jack but was surprised that it happened. I have also noticed that I get a pretty loud metal on metal slapping sound from the trailer. I have looked everything over an the only thing I have noticed is that the inside shackles (connected to the wishbone) are banging up against the trailer frame rail resulting in the loud sound. My gut tells me that I do not have enough suspension travel resulting in this sound.

Does anyone else have this kind of setup on their trailer? If so have you seen this happen before (flipped shackle)? My trailer also sits pretty low and I am thinking about throwing a taller wishbone (center black triangle) on it to lift the axles. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any other advice? The diagram isnt exactly perfect as my axles are on top of the springs, not below.

Upload

(Message edited by liquidmx on May 28, 2009)

(Message edited by liquidmx on May 28, 2009)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-28-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
On our old DHM trailer we bought a 2" block lift. Found it on the DHM website. Easy to install and it helped a lot with the dragging problem. Where the boat is stored, the driveway is very steep and would always scrap. On the new boat we just added wheels to the prop guard, but it lifts the other 4 wheels off the ground when in use...
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-28-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
I had a 3 spring leaf spring set up on mine. One finally snapped and I had the guy replace both with a 4 leaf set up. It raised it about 1.5"-2". Looks like would be the easiest. Leaf springs are cheap.