Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (vDanglz)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-11-2013, 3:27 PM Reply   
So i am in the process of learning tantrums. i feel that i am landing switch or at least rotating in that way. In the video i can CLEARLY SEE that i need way more speed, but besides that, what else? any tips would be appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQ7X...ature=youtu.be
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-11-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
You are correct on the speed, I also would suggest tripping later. It looks like you would edge in and try to trip early, I would suggest trying to edge all the way through the wake and then when you hit the top drop your back hand from the handle and tantrum. That is how i learned them and it worked best for me.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-11-2013, 5:14 PM Reply   
I second the tripping too early. And dont be afraid to really stand up at the top of the wake! Hold that hard edge up until the bottom of the wake, slow down on the wake and when you feel your upper body going past the wake, only then do you throw your head back into the flip. Keep your eyes open and spot the landing! Here's a video of me doing one from the angle of a gopole. skip to 47 and at like the 53 second mark you'll see that my front foot has actually left the wake before I really lean back into the flip. Hope this helps!
Old     (vDanglz)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-11-2013, 7:42 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
1. Harder / Faster approach
2. Let off the edge about 5 feet from the lip of the wake, and be stopped edging (or very slightly) by the lip -- your initial edge momentum will carry you across the wake
3. Pop off the top of the wake standing very tall
4. Drop your rear hand as you leave the wake
5. as you go over vert on the flip are around 60-75% around spot the water

... You've really got wait on this trick, from this it looks like you're trying to throw it 50% up the wake... use the whole wake, it will make things easier.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-12-2013 at 6:29 AM.
Old     (callanstarr)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-12-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
All of the above are pointing you in the right direction... From the screen grab of your tantrum attempt it seems like you are cutting in really tail heavy so try and even that out in your cut in to help get that locked in feel which makes it easier to clear and land
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-12-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
The thing that really helped me dial in trip flips was taking my time off the wake. Like everyone else is saying, you really have to use the whole wake. When learning tantrums I used to think "1....2....Flip!". Literally counting it out in my head helped me stall longer and use the whole wake. Naturally I would hit the wake and flip right away, and because of that, my tantrums looked pretty similar to yours. Even though it will feel awkward and like you are waiting way too long at first, try counting (waiting) before you flip. You are really close man! Hope that helps! good luck!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-12-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
You weren't going to switch. Don't try to throw it, if you trip, it will come. What I would recommend, and I am far from perfect every time on my tantrums, is:

Cut out wider than you normally would for a wake jump. I build my edge really slow and when I get 10-12 feet from the wake I lean hard on my edge for a split second then I go flat and drop my back arm and wait for the pop and just look up and it comes right around
Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-16-2013, 5:23 AM Reply   
I found that once I started waiting till I hit the top of the wake before I threw the trick I really started controlling it and boosting. Here is an example of how I do em