Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-12-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
do you think i should buy a 2002 cobalt 226 for 27,300 sight unseen. the boat has a 375 hp motor plus a tower with racks. it also has snap on cockpit and bow covers plus a bimmini top. and it also has a duo prop would you buy this boat sight unseen. plus do you think i should go for it or should i pass on it.

Last edited by Hydrodynetahoe; 06-12-2012 at 7:44 PM.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-12-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
I would not buy any boat site unseen. You dont even have pics?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-12-2012, 7:47 PM Reply   
it is a strange question for this group. We believe that inboards are the only wakeboard boats in the world.

Having said that, I have wakeboarded behind one of them (a 2000), and it was very difficult because it would not hold speeds at wakeboard speed, and the wake was super wide, so I had to shorten the rope so far, that I could hardly get a run at the wake. Not a good wakeboard boat at all, despite plenty of power and the fact it had a solid tower.

Never buy a boat sight unseen. That is just a rule. Go there, test it out, and be prepared that you might have to go home empty handed.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-12-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
what do you want, its not always about a deal, its about the end result. we are all direct drive or vdrive people here. we are all going to tell you to get a wake suited boat, soooo no, dont buy it. we are wakeboarders, surfers, skiers, even tubers, but we all value the industry that makes this site family. maybe its a great boat, it may be just what you need, but most will think(hope i am speaking for everyone, if not i am sorry) that this culture is about the sport, the friendships and family that make the manufactorers build better wake products, better boards, better waves, better ski conditions and we keep pushing for the next phase.. soooo buy a vdrive or dd. support the sport. good luck
Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-12-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
its gonna be used on lake tahoe
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-12-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
get a deep v, vdrive, it will handle the rollers and ruff water, i would look at a 230 or 240 enzo, larger mb( all have deep v's) tige's 23 and 24 footers, sanger 237, in the newer line up, a mc, x30, used x25 fairly deep v, tige z3, mb f24, or any of the wide body line, if you are not looking for a wake specific boat, then there are many other i/o to look at. cobalt makes one of the best i/o boats in the market, but its not a wakeworld kind of boat, it does not produce the style and type of wake that most are looking for. the more aggressive the water, the higher free board you want in a boat and deeper v to handle the water. what are your goals
Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-12-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
but cobalts are gonna hold their value and that's what mostly everybody has up there plus we really want it
Old     (BoatsNM)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-12-2012, 9:04 PM Reply   
I sell Cobalts but do own a Malibu VLX. I have also lived in Tahoe. For everything wake there is no doubt that I love my boat. Tahoe is a different animal very rough and cold. Cobalt is a great boat for Tahoe conditions. I assume it has the 496 merc in the 226 you are talking about? Great motor and definitely needed if you are going to pull anything at that altitude. The price seems to be good. Are you buying from a private party or dealer? The 226 would be on the small side for me in Tahoe. However I had a direct drive ski boat when I lived in Tahoe. Beat the crap out of me but had fun. Now here is where I plug the 2002 240 Cobalt I have for sale on consignment. Only 10k more...... Cobalt is a great boat and you will be happy to own one. Please don't try to surf behind one.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-13-2012, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrodynetahoe View Post
but cobalts are gonna hold their value and that's what mostly everybody has up there plus we really want it
You should actually offer $35000 for it. I also hear people tow them with civics. Great wake surf wake too.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-13-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Gayper!!!!!!
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-13-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Cobalts are just wanna be wakeboard boats! Pass on the "deal" and look for a good used v-drive that you can actually see and test drive first.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-13-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
as a tahoe boat you can wakeboard behind occaisionally, it'd probably be OK. As a wakeboard boat that that would be capable on tahoe when conditions permit you could do better.

Is your priority *being* on tahoe, even when conditions are not ideal, or wakeboarding on tahoe? If the former, an inboard is not your best bet.
Old     (BoatsNM)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-13-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwalkbeast View Post
Cobalts are just wanna be wakeboard boats! Pass on the "deal" and look for a good used v-drive that you can actually see and test drive first.
Obviously you've never ridden in or spent any time in a Cobalt. I have the passion for wakeboarding and vdrives. There are people that are boaters that wakeboard. This would be like saying wakeboard boats are wannabe bowriders. Cobalt is a great boat made by great people. The quality of Cobalts are through and through. There is a reason they hold their value so well. There is also a reason there are so many on Tahoe.

If I were to have unlimited funds I would own a Cobalt along with my VLX. I am not going to trade in my VLX anytime soon on a Cobalt. The decision to do so is because of what I do behind my boat. If I were going to be boating on Tahoe all the time a later model 262 would be my choice for used. If you are able to order a new Cobalt you can't go wrong with the A series.
Old    Hydrodynetahoe            06-13-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
we can only afford 28,000
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
Marit, you still haven't told us how you are going to use the boat. You can't surf behind the Cobalt. If you plan on using it as a cruiser and take the occasional wakeboard set then it should be fine. As far as buying it sight unseen that is crazy talk.

I just looked up seattle's craigslist and there is a 2002 226 and there is one listed for 31,900. It has the 5.7L duoprop, tower, 2004 trailer, etc... It could probably be had for about 28k. Point being is that 28 doesn't sound like some crazy good deal on the boat. Certainly not enough to buy sight unseen.

Maybe for 20k it would be worth buying sight unseen. Why aren't you able to look at it and/or drive it?

Last edited by polarbill; 06-13-2012 at 3:05 PM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-13-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Marit, you still haven't told us how you are going to use the boat. You can't surf behind the Cobalt. If you plan on using it as a cruiser and take the occasional wakeboard set then it should be fine. As far as buying it sight unseen that is crazy talk.

I just looked up seattle's craigslist and there is a 2002 226 and there is one listed for 31,900. It has the 5.7L duoprop, tower, 2004 trailer, etc... It could probably be had for about 28k. Point being is that 28 doesn't sound like some crazy good deal on the boat. Certainly not enough to buy sight unseen.

Maybe for 20k it would be worth buying sight unseen. Why aren't you able to look at it and/or drive it?
Brett, I'm not convinced these are serious questions. At first she wanted a big wakeboard boat for less than 25 to handle tahoe. People said big centurion or tige. She said no, don't like them, how about super airs. Then she was asking about towing these boats with an MDX loaded with people and gear to travel through the mtns to tahoe!, now she's buying sight unseen. This isn't real. She asks questions then disappears and doesn't follow up.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2012, 4:21 PM Reply   
Didn't see the other threads I guess.
Old     (BoatsNM)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-13-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post

The difference between 5.7 liter and the 496 is a few thousand dollars. The 496 is a great engine and necessary in the bigger boats 24+. In the 226 the big block is a lot more fun. I have sold boats sight unseen. However I sent pictures and communicated with the buyer a lot.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-14-2012, 4:21 AM Reply   
This is obviously either a fake post, probably by a WW member using a different screen name - or an idiot. Either way, not worth helping.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-14-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
This person has been asking vague questions with short responses for the past week or two. We all spent some time trying to help in other threads and got ZERO feedback in return. I'm not really interested in helping people that aren't willing to respond timely and with enough information to REALLY help.