Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (wakewilly)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-07-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
I started to pack my board bag and everything to head back east for a week long wakeboard trip at Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland and everthing was going fine. We got our airline tickets through United. Flew out of SFO early Friday morning to Philadelphia where we were then suppose to transfer to a US Airways plane and fly to Pittsburg. Everything seemed smooth once we got to philadelphia and then eventually Pittsburg until we got to the baggage claim. We waited for close to an hour with the rest of the people on our flight until I decided to go up to the baggage desk and ask why I should have to wait over an hour for my bags. I soon found out that our bags along with the rest of our flight's bags were in Philadelphia. So we made it to the lake without any of our clothes or boards and met up with our friends with a Super Air. The whole time we've been trying to get ahold of a US Airways baggage person over the phone to find out where our bags are and in the process, the employee informs us that a belt broke thursday in philadelphia and 3 to 4 THOUSAND bags have been "stranded". THe employee didn't seem to think that it was that big of a deal to be without our baggage for almost half of our trip that we payed for. It turns out that we didn't receive our bags until late tuesday night of the next week. This was almost halfway through our week long wakeboard trip.

What really gets us the most is, why didn't they inform us that there was a broken belt (that happened THURSDAY) when we were in Philadelphia (on FRIDAY!!) or even once we got to Pittsburg. They had us wait over an hour for baggage that wasn't going to arrive and then wait for us to eventually come to sense and get into the lost baggage line that was a mile long. It would have been a lot nicer to have been informed of the situation. Furthermore, to have an employee tell me over the phone that "it's not that big of a deal, you'll have your baggage in a day or two" is just inconsiderate. She gave me the impression that she didn't really care how long it took to get me my bags nor did the baggage handlers and that sucks!! I added up the total cost for everything that was in my board bag and it was well over $2500 and it made me think I was taking a rather large risk letting a half bankrupt airline lose my luggage.

So from now on, when I choose tickets through United or any other airline, I'll be sure to check who the carriers are after I transfer. It sure won't ever be US Airways again. I guess i just needed to vent and try to warn other people before their trips almost get completly ruined.

willy