Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-10-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
I am seriously considring carrying Wakeboards/bindings here at the ramp park in Petaluma. With all the boat shop closures in Sonoma county that leaves only Santa Rosa Ski and Sport(25 minutes away) to carry wakeboards. I would double the size of my current shop and carry clothes/bikinis and shoes too. What do the locals on here think?
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-12-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Maybe not!!....lol... no responses??? huh... maybe thats why their are no boat or board shops in the NorthBay area......Cant even get a response from Walt...... times are Tuff!!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-12-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Ha, ha... Good luck Mike. I'm sure the small shops that Copes shut down for wake for the last couple years are getting the last laugh right now.

Do it. The only downside I see is that it's going to be a soft year for wake this year. I doubt I'd get much argument about that.
Old    walt            01-12-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I know Copes in RP was a dead zone the last year or so and things are still bad so you might wait a bit.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-12-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Would the board companies be willing to do consignment?

Sounds like maybe doing a survey of the customers that visit would be a good thing to do. Then offer a sticker or something in return for their time. You could have different check boxes for things like:
Planning on purchasing this year:
Skate board yes no
BMX bike yes no
Wakeboard yes no
Preferred brand etc. etc.

There is not a lot of competition left in the wakeboard market around here is there?
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, I'm in Rosa, and I've given a lot of business to UWS in Rohnert Park in the past. I know they went under, but I agree that for all the boats I see at Berryessa and Sonoma and Mendo there ought to be enough business for someone to compete with SRSS. I'd definitely come in. Good luck.
Old    walt            01-12-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Mike,

Give me a call.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-12-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
Mike,

I'm in Petaluma and I would support you. Good thing for you is that you already have the space and the overhead covered. I wish you the best of luck.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-12-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. Yeah Its not like I would be starting from scratch. I have had an indoor bike and skatepark and shop for 5 years. I just think with gas prices being cheap wakeboarding is still gonna happen this year. Just not in a 2009 brand new boat. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input.

P.S. I will be having RatStock (LOL) this may if it happens. Winch contest. Bike/sKATE contest and Bikini contest!!!!!!!
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-13-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
If you do I would say just a taste for the next few years. The replacement stuff like ropes and new fins are most likely the only thing people will be getting in the near future. I think most people will not be upgradeing equipment for a while. And as a result of Copes the market is flooded.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-14-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
Erik, you know that ALL Copes went out of business, right?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-15-2009, 12:07 AM Reply   
Mike, i think Erik knows. What he means is that because of them liquidating everything from their numerous stores for cheap everyone that wanted gear got gear.

i think you should do it. the north bay seems like it has been neglected from decent shops. i worked at the shop at UWS in RP for a while last year and the inventory was pathetic but then again no one was coming in. maybe the northbay doesnt have the riders to support it
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
dont waist your money mike. not now. let the economy play its self out a bit. just keep your eye on whats going on.
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-15-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
"dont waist your money mike. not now. let the economy play its self out a bit. just keep your eye on whats going on." That's like saying buy HIGH and sell LOW. Manufacturers are jumping through hoops right now to pick up retailers to make up for the ones who have gone under. Whether you are a retailer or a consumer you will never get these deals again! Even if the economy keeps going the way it is. There is a huge surplus from retailers who forecasted wrong. I say jump in but make sure you get your money's worth plus some. I cant wait for the boat show, I am going to clean up! Just thinking out loud.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
dude. when ultimate was in nor cal" NO ONE WAS BUYING STUFF and before ski world went under. they weren't selling boards. just ask the people who worked for them. and buy the way. if you buy your equipment from the boat show then mike sure wont be able to sell many boards at his shop unless he pays good jack for a booth at a boat show. oh yeah btw. nor cal doesn't have any boat shows this year. nor cal " north of frisco" doesn't have any boat dealerships.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
mike you also have west marine who sells boards. mitch has a good point. the north bay has some dope riders but i dont think they have enough people who need a better board. but what do i know im just a painting contractor.
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-15-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Just because you are in a slow area doesn't mean you have to sell in a slow area. Evo gear started as an Ebay store, now they are one of the largest retailers in the industry. There is always a consumer for your product, especially when it is cheap. BTW, there are two boat shows in NORCAL. Sac and Stockton I believe unless something new has happened. PleasAnton isn't that far from Stockton either. I am not trying to be a D**K, just trying to put in my two cents. Dont get all huffy on me. Hope no one takes offense to this, but their might be a reason why all Copes stores went out of business, not just the ultimate watersports where you are at. Again, this is just my own opinion.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
ok. so you want mike to become a internet sells men. the thread is about if he should carry boards to sell to people in nor cal "petaluma area" not the internet. im sure he could sell on the internet but thats not what he wants to do as of now. mikes best deal with this is he already makes his overhead with the ramp rats money. see if whyte will buy the inventory for you. what ever. mike i would deff buy from you if i was in the market. good luck

(Message edited by Ponte_06_x2 on January 15, 2009)
Old     (davidr)      Join Date: May 2007       01-15-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Big Mike, I'll come in if you carry Solbound. Ha HA. When you gonna get to the mts.? Thinkn I need a good dose of the p-river, hopefully get down by the end of the month. Might be able to put together a crew these days. Take care
Old     (whyterunk)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-15-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
I would buy product from you too, and I hope you sell a crap ton to all of the local riders. That's the best part of your core board shop, it's local. All I am saying is you don't have to be afraid of product when it is cheap and when you have access to the internet even if it isn't custom super expensive site. That's all I am saying.

I guess a part of me is really tired of all of this doom and gloom attitude. I am not subscribing to it any more. Just trying to be realistically positive thats all. Don't mean to piss any one off. Anyone is welcome on my boat even if we don't agree on retail issues.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-15-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
whyte. i too am tired of the doom and gloom but dude its reality, but we can deal with it. its not the end of the world. it will just take time. its all good whyte. we all want it to get better. late