Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-28-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
What exactly does a trim tab do? It a hydrolic one worth the extra money? I believe all that I have is a fixed plate on the back of my current boat. Do I need to get one if I get a new boat?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-28-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
They are not necessary, but very nice. Do you have a lot of different levels of riders? It basically allows for a mellow wake when down and a steeper wake when up. They can also be used to help the boat ride better in rough water. With it down you won't porpoise as much. Also if you ski it will help flatten out the wake. In my opinion a very nice option to have.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
They try and compensate for a poorly designed hull.

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-28-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
"They try and compensate for a poorly designed hull"

I thought that's what everyone else used ballast for
Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-28-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
Is that the same as a wake plate? Mine just sticks straigt out and is not hydraulic. What does that do for the wake? i really don't understand it.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
they arent for wakes exactly, but more helping your boat plane out when you have a heavy load, or when you dont plan to have lots pf ballast and go fast for say barefooting it helps

correct me if im wrong, but ar ewe talking about what tige and moomba use?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/54652.html?1047162179
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-29-2008, 5:31 AM Reply   
Chase,

Just about everyone but Malibu uses a plate of some form now, to complement the shape/design of the hull.

The desired effect on the wake can very from brand to brand, but for the most part, they will create stern lift, when down, to help plane the boat out, prevent porpoising, and clean and shape the wake.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
The owner's ego is what tries to compensate for a poorly designed hull.
I took off a fixed plate on my Sanger and installed a hydraulic one. The Sanger runs just fine without any plate.
The fixed plate extends the back of the hull so it gives a little more lift there. That results in a faster planing speed because the boat spends less time ploughing water as it tries to get up on plane. It also leads to a flatter wake. Malibu does offer one. They call it the Scarpa barefoot plate.
The hydraulic plate, or an electric piston one, gives you the advantage of the fixed plate but also lets the hull go back to it's stock design when you put it all the way up. (That is less than 2" of travel total) With the adjustable plate you can change the attitude of the hull while underway and that is a very useful option. I would highly recommend adjustable plates on any boat.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-29-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
We have the Bennett adjustable plate on our Centurion. The only time I put it all the way down is when I'm pulling someone at or below planing speed. It helps keep the bow down. Otherwise it's retracted.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-29-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
I may be wrong here but having a boat that is heavier, and does not plain easy cause more fuel consumption. With a trim tab causes more drag at all times. With ballast one can unload if not needed, lighten up the boat and cruise without any extra drag or weight. Does everyone who has actually rode behind a malibu and lets say a tige feel one or the other has an actually better wake. Just cerious. I own a BU but thats because I always have liked them.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
hmmmmmm... I was sure this thread was on what a trim tab does...
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-29-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
So Art, tell me then what does it do compared to a wedge or ballast, in other words what is better? It has been explained what is does. A forum is about discussion, and Im asking if anyone who has rode behind both, feels one is better than the other.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
i dont have any much experience with trim plates other than the adjustbale one on the wakecraft. it is a very nice feature. it does not just help the boat plane out , it completely changes the shape of the wake. for beginner riders i put the plate down to create less of a peak and ramp. i also run it down for barefooting. for more experienced riders i trim it up creating a nice peaked shape. with that said i dont think you need it , but it makes the boat much more versatile.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
well scooter trim tabs are nothing like a wedge or ballast. those two things only do one thing , add weight/down force to the boat creating a larger wake. the trim plate is more of a wake shaper which also helps boats plane out and control porposing.

(Message edited by rodltg2 on January 29, 2008)
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-29-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
So does anyone feel one method works better than the other? Tabs or Ballast, can I add tabs with my wedge for shape?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
scooter, a fixed plate is designed to change the hull to better accomplish some task. Like a faster start, to correct a list, to counter prop torque, or to optimize a wake for a set purpose. You can adjust them but that's manual and not a choice while you are underway.
The adjustable plate lets you change the attitude while you are running. For example, when you drive into storm waves you want to run with the bow down and when you are running with storm waves you want the bow up. You can also tune the shape of a wake. The attitude of the hull in the water affects the shape of the wake. You put the bow down to lengthen the wake and make the ramp shallower. You put the bow up to make the ramp steeper.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-29-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
So I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I was talking a bout a bennet trim tab for a Sanger V-215. I am looking at a couple of boats. The one with the trim tap is more expensive but it also has more options. I pretty much only wakeboard with the occasional skier.

So would you guys all aggree that it is not necessary for my needs?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2008, 12:27 PM Reply   
It's not necessary, but it is really nice to have the bennet plate. I spent the extra money and installed one on mine. It goes on in the same location as the fixed plate but not with using the same holes.
You could also cut away part of your plate to have less effect from it It settles the stern more at wakeboard speeds and gives you a steeper wake if it's not there.
Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-29-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
So Art since I have fixed plate would I be better taking it off? I don't want it flattening the wake.
Thanks!
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-29-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
A trim tab does not add drag. If extended down it raises the back of the boat and pushes the nose of the boat down. Helping plan out and eliminates porposing at high speeds. A hydraulic adjustable plate gives some ability to "shape" the wake and adjust for different weighting and speed conditions. Manual plates have to be set for typical conditions and left alone. I've never been in a Sanger so it's hard to answer craig's question. In the Moomba I owned I believe it was absolutely necessary. In the Centurion Avalanche the manual plate is okay but not ideal. In my current Enzo I think it is very helpful and would not want to go with the manual plate.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Yes, but you have holes in the hull you need to fill. If it's a Sanger you could just cut it shorter
This is my Sanger 215 with the fixed plate.
Upload
This is with the Bennett plate.
Upload
With the Bennett plate it has all the benefits of the fixed plate and all the benefits of no plate. (And all the benefits of an adjustable plate.)

For me it was well worth the money I spent adding it.