Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (daivdpre)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-17-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
Does anybody out there have any knee braces/knee brace brands that they would recommend? I have dislocated my knee cap three times, twice behind the boat. According to the docs, no ligaments tore any of the times, but they have obviously stretched out and made it more likely to happen again.

I'm looking for a brace that will help to prevent this from happening again. I know torn ACL's are common and there are plenty of ACL braces out there, and I would imagine a brace that prevents lateral movement would be good for my situation too. I'm hoping to keep it around $200 or $300 if possible, I'm on a budget.

Thanks,

David
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-17-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
For the patellar luxation, you can benefit from normal neoprene support braces (with the circle in the middle) found in your local pharmacy stores.

As for braces for ACL, MCL and others, CTI's products are hands down the best option for wakeboarding. If filing a claim for insurance isn't an option, the CTI OTS braces are excellent for off the shelf protection without consulting an ortho. Here's a random link I found to them for sub $500 : http://www.amazon.com/CTi-Sport-Knee.../dp/B005PFTO34

I'm speaking from 15 years on the wakeboard, 2 ACL reconstructions - one in each knee. I've owned CTI Customs and the CTI OTS. I lucked out last winter and won the bid on two used medium CTI OTS's off of eBay for $200 shipped.
Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-17-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
I would concur and recommend CTI. I first had a Breg and quickly switched to a CTI. The CTI is made just for you, the warranty is unreal and typically within the 1st year your able to get it resized and refinished for no charge.

I snowboard and wakeboard and use my brace for both so I wear it a LOT. I feel the CTI holds to my leg the best and needs little adjusting once I've put it on. You wont go wrong if you go with a CTI.
Old     (RiverRatA20)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-17-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
have had great luck with Asterisk braces. the kneecap protector can be removed for water sports or left in for other impact sports such as dirtbiking, snowboarding, mountainbiking.

http://www.asterisk.com/
Old     (daivdpre)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-18-2013, 6:25 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Very informative.