Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    climberman15            11-26-2003, 9:11 PM Reply   
i have a 1976 bayliner capri.
it has an 85 hp outboard engine and not much room at all.
is there a cheap way i can add lbs' (cause i don't have access to much money...if i did i for sure would not be ridin behind a boat that is older than i am)?
it does not have enough room for many water bags. maybe one in the isle that is it.
right now i put 35 lb cement bricks everywhere i can fit them. i get them at lowes for a buck each(i thought it was a good deal but it sucks so bad putting those things in everytime i want to go out)
help please
Old    travisellis            11-26-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
one cheap way is steel weights than the cement. darin sharipo is sponsored by some kind of wake weights for makin room, check his sponsors out later
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-26-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
You are asking a lot of that 85 hp motor
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-26-2003, 10:34 PM Reply   
People make great ballast! Or u can always get leadheadz, or ballast bags tend to be kinda pricy but they are very easy to move arround, just throw it where u want it then throw the pump over the side an in like 5-10min u'r good to go! Tbird is right tho... an 85hp might not handle a lot of ballast very well... but ya never know till ya try! Good luck and have fun!
Old    tribal            11-27-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
Your limiting factor is def horsepower.
Old    climberman15            11-27-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
yes the engine is very much a factor but i have around 800 lbs in those cement bricks and it still gets going fine with that and 3 guys in the boat. the wake is actually not bad with all that in the boat. i just don't like spending 45 minutes lifting 35 pound bricks in and then back out everytime we go out. i guess though for the price it is not bad. they are exactly $1.12 for 35 lbs. so i got 840 lbs for 27 bucks. that is pretty cheap.

thank you very much. i will look into the things you mentioned.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-28-2003, 3:20 PM Reply   
i started riding in a boat similar to that.. I remember filling like 7 50 lbs water tanks for adding weight, plus my 200 lbs driver and some other friend.... it was so much fun...
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-02-2003, 7:20 AM Reply   
To start wakeboarding a small wake is pretty ok. We run a 16footer with 80HP, and 500pounds of fats, no problem. to help your outboarder you may use a prop with less pitch. be careful when you run the empty boat not to exceed max rpm! Have a save ride. Greatings from snowy switzerland
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-02-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
you can usually get sand bags really cheap, and they weigh 70lbs each.
Old    shaggydan22            12-03-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
I rode behind a 19' Larson with a 90hp outboard for my first three years of riding. When the boat was in its prime, we could carry around 800lbs worth of sand and 8 people. We also used one of those stabilizer fins. I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.