Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-08-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
I assume that boat sales are like cars where the deals are better for boats that they have at the store and that you pay more for a special order. Anyone now if there is a big difference for a special order?
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-08-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
It's not a huge difference, as most dealers are obligated to take a certain amount of boats, so your order usually fills one of those slots. Now if a dealer has had a boat on the floor for awhile, they may be more willing to deal on it in order to get it off of their floor plan. Sometimes there are factory incentives on in stock boats, but the dealer will usually let you know that.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-08-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
That's more true for any of the previous year models still on the lot as well. They are more willing to deal on those. That's what i did and i saved a ton of cash over a current years model.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
When I bought mine in 07, of course the heyday of buying boats at ridiculous prices, there was no difference in ordering one or taking one from their lot. I'm sure that has changed quite a bit now though. Such as was stated above, if you're willing to take the non current model, you could probably save a bunch.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-09-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
It might depend on the dealer, but when I bought in '05 there wasn't much of a difference. We saved $1K taking one out of the lot.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-09-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
I went in and talked to my dealer and ordered my boat with every available option in the boat but as far as the trailer all i wanted was a swing away tong and tandem axles, it came inabout 6000 cheaper than ones on the lot that were a year older,.....2010 mobius ls...loaded
Old     (wrchase)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-09-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
New 2010 X2 - $80k+
New 2008 X2 - $46k

All the same options, everything. Buying what's on the lot is a no brainer I think. Unless you've got lots of cash to throw around.
Old     (biggsteev)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-09-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Wow. A Mastercraft X2 is almost half the price two years later? Now that is what I would call a terrible resale value! What is the value going to be in two more years?
Old     (dogs)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-09-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
I am looking at 2010 malibu 23 lsv and the two dealership have sold out of the previous year models. I also only need a basic trailer since my boat stays on a lift all summer long and though that this could be a savings point about ordering.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Joe,
Trailers are built into the price of most Vdrive boats. What the factory gives you not to take it your better off selling it for junk. Also if you go to resale cheap looking trailer kills sales.
Old     (02redws6ta)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   

quote:

New 2010 X2 - $80k+
New 2008 X2 - $46k

All the same options, everything. Buying what's on the lot is a no brainer I think. Unless you've got lots of cash to throw around.

I find that hard to believe. Can you post some links to these boats?
Old                02-09-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
Trailer was not built into the price when I was looking at Nautiques. Trailers cost 5k-8K+.

Bill’s numbers look legit to me. 80K is MSRP (boats never sell for MSRP unless the buyer is stupid) and the 46K is a blow out price (maybe at dealer cost) to sell off old inventory that they can’t sell. Those numbers look similar to other boat brands that have had the same issues selling off outdated stock.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
I just saw a brand new 08 VTX on Onlyinboards for $48k. I think that was like a $70k boat in it's day. And more now. And quite a few other "new" 09s & 08s too.

It depends on whether or not your dealer has any more slots available. It's Feb.... getting close as many dealers may have already promised theirs, or spent them.

At some point you have to decide if your willing to compromise at all in order to get a deal.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 10:02 PM Reply   
go used man, alot of people just dont use their boats much. save you alot of dough in the end
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-10-2010, 4:03 AM Reply   
It depends. Sometimes I could sell an ordered boat for the same price or cheaper than selling a boat on the lot. When I a was a dealer and ordering boats, my manufacturer would give me the option of a 5% discount or 6 months free interest. Most of the time we would take the free interest if we were ordering boats for the boat shows. That way, if we had people in Jan and Feb at the shows that wanted to buy boats, we would encourage them to order, since we could make a few extra bucks by taking the 5% discount. Also we would still have boats on the lot that didn't cost us a dime until July. Now if someone came in July or August, chances are they would get a better deal then. Also remember that we ordered boats almost every month or every other month, so it was a rolling game.