Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-08-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Looking for an All Inclusive Resort in the Caribbean . Pretty open to wherever. Ive been to Turks & Caicos and had a blast at Beaches. Somethign like that would perfect. Trying to get a good deal as well. Any help or info would be much appreciated
Rob-
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-10-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
If you are single or married with no children going along, then you should try any of the Sandals resorts. I got married at Sandals Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We had a blast and would definately go back. They just opened a new Sandals called Sandals Emerald Bay int the Bahamas too.
Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-11-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Last year we went to Punta Cana Dominican Republic. We stayed at the Majestic Colonial. Had a great time and will definitely go back. It is all-inclusive and we got a great deal...8 nights, 2 adults for $1350.
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-12-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Excellence in Punta Cana was outstanding as well.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-12-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
great, thanks appreciate the help!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-12-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
I went to the Excellence Puerta Mujeres ( sp?) outside of Cancun back in November. I was not very impressed. I wouldn't go back. I've been to much better all inclusives.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-12-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
We are going to Breezes in Negril, Jamaica in 2 weeks. We've stayed at the Breezes in Nassaua, Bahamas but that is a much older resort. The one in Negril was recently purchased and renovated and is very nice. We've been there before. I'd highly advise it. Fly into Montego Bay, take the Breezes shuttle to Negril (45 minutes) and spend the week drinking Red Stripes. They have hibachi and sushi and french restaurants.

http://www.breezes.com/resorts/breezes-grand-negril/

www.cheapcaribbean.com is a great site to book from.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-12-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
I went to Couples in Negril, Jamacia in 2001 and really liked it. I'm not a fan of all-inclusives but that one one of the best I've been to. No kids or even single adults allowed.

I disagree with the shuttle to Negril. I say pay for the 10 min puddle-jumper flight from Montego Bay to Negril. We didn't on the way to the resort but we sure did on the way back and it was money well spent.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-12-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
@chad, is there a reason you dont like all inclusives? from my experience i tend to save money but there might be somethign im missing?? I do eat and drink alot.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-12-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Rob, it really depends on where you're going and what you're looking for. Some places, you don't want to leave the resort and some you do.

I like exploring and I'm a foodie. I have high expectations for food and drink and I'm embarrassed to admit how much I spend on food and drinks every month. All-Inclusives (AI)feed a ton of people everyday and except for Couples Negril, I've never been happy with it.

Service.. tips are either not allowed or discouraged but tolerated. I think you get better service when you're tipping the person right then vs. paying for your dinner a month ago.

AIs are great if want to lay around a nice resort and eat and drink yourself to death and take-in a few intoductions to activities like scuba or sea-kayaking. However, everything at an AI is for the lowest common denominator. I've been discouraged by the staff from trying to learn to windsurf "because it's too hard", I couldn't take the small Hobie Cats catamran out of the bay, etc. The scuba trips are for beginners, etc.

I would prefer to rent a Jeep and go off on my own and find hole-in-the-wall places to eat and hang out instead of being bothered by the "Activity Coordinator" every two hours to come join in some activity.

I'm not saying I've never had a good vacation at an AI.. I have; just not really my preference. I feel like I HAVE to drink my money's worth at an AI since I've already paid all that money for it and then I get pissed if the the drinks aren't to my liking. On the flip side, it is nice not having to carry money around or worry about how much something cost since you've already paid for it.

Btw, I hate, hate cruises for the same reasons as AI and I'll take an AI over a cruise anyday!

I could use a vacation though that's for sure!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-12-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
Rob, the only all inclusive resort I enjoyed was El dorado royale, in puerto morales. A company called Karisma runs them.

the food was excellent (I never ate the same thing for the 7 days I was there), everything is a la carte. All the drinks in the all inclusives are similar.

Like chad, my expectations for food are realtively high when on vacation. Not always gourmet but I want food that is fresh with unique combinations.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on January 12, 2010)
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I have done the Sandals thing a few times they are pretty good and have some real good prices right now. Also been to a few Breezes they were not bad but not as nice as the Sandals. As long as I am on vacation with a drink in hand I am going to have a good time.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I am def taking your advice and most likely going to Negril. The prices are relatively low compared to other Caribbean Islands. ALso it looks amazing. Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated!!
Rob
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-13-2010, 5:38 AM Reply   
Not sure about AI's, but I read in Maxim that Margarita Island is THE place to go on vacation.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-13-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
I agree 100% with Chad regarding AI. The main thing I like about AI is when on vacation with our kids - they are not always pestering me for money to buy snacks, drinks, etc. And I don't get pissed if they only eat half of the $12 dollar burger they had to order. Other than that I would rather experience the culture and explore.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-13-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
The Beaches in Turks and Caicos set the gold standard for me. I will always chose a Sandals or Beaches over other resorts. I hear great things about the Sandals in Ocho Rios. It is my resort of choice for our next trip.

We are trying out the Ocean Coral and Turquesa in Puerto Morelos next month.

The Dominican Republic is nice, but it has one problem!

ITS NEXT TO HAITI!
(this has nothing to do with recent events)
Haiti is a $h!7 hole that brings the quality of the DR way down.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-13-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Rob - send me an e mail and I will link you to my photobucket from our last trip to negril.

e mails in my profile.

we'll be there form 2/5-2/15 this year.