Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-02-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
From Canon to Nikon. Found a bangin deal on a D3 since they discontinued it for the D3S and thinking about making the switch.

Anyone shoot with a D3?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
Do I detect a L lens sale in your future? Holla at me if you do.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-02-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
HAHA! No I am going to keep all my canon stuff just going to pick up a D3. I will still shoot tube with Canon until I can get a housing made for the new gear. I pretty much have my mind made up now it's time to go drop 6 g's on a D3 and 70-200 2.8
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-02-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
I should have never rented the D3... It made the decision to easy.. Thank god I have an awesome wife!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-02-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
What do you like about the Nikon over the Canon body you have now? BTW which Canon body do you have?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-02-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
Love it compared to the 1d mark 3. Feels a lot better in my hands.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
Riley I can only agree with you on one point, you do have an awesome wife . Damn I thought I was going to score a killer deal on a big white lens
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-02-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
I switched from a D90 to the 7D. Granted the bodies are not in the same class and went from kit lenses to a Canon L so obviously far happier.
Only disappointments so far... Canon lens caps suck and the shutter noise is laughable. Other than that, the 7D keeps me up at night thinking of the possibilities.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-02-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Interesting reason and hard to argue with!

What's a used D3 go for?

The mkIIIs are down to about 2300 on average right now.

Randy, at the rate lens prices are going up we will be making money when selling them soon!
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-02-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
Save $. Keep the glass you've already invested in (glass depreciates much, much less than digital bodies because it is rarely ever changed/upgraded/replaced). Plus, Nikon glass is very, very expensive (great product, but making the switch from Canon to Nikon rather than the other way around is much harder on the wallet, especially if you're heavily invested in Canon product -- lenses, flashes, batteries, water housing, etc).

Wait till December and get this.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modeli d=19584

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10044-10310

Inside reports on this thing are unbelievable.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-02-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
Some good points from Garrett, I've never thought a full frame sensor made a lot of sense for sports shooters. I think Canon could have made the 1DIV a FF but I think most pros are used to a 1.3X and that's what they want. Add to that advantage the added crop ability of 16 mp vs 12 as well.

Even if you can pick up a used D3 for less then the mkIV the differences in lens costs will eat that savings up. Plus if you're shooting mostly with a housing who cares about handling!

(Message edited by richd on November 02, 2009)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-02-2009, 11:14 PM Reply   
Unless you're getting a really bang'n deal on the D3.. why not opt for the D700 w/ the battery grip and save yourself the cash?

The nikon glass is what will get ya though... ;-)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-03-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Damn I thought I had my mind made up! I went and shot some studio stuff last night with my uncles D3 and loved it.

I guess I have some pondering to do.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quit pondering and come on over...the water is great. Nikon has, IMO, the best 2.8 zoom trio on the planet right now with the 14-14, 24-70 and soon to be out there 70-200VRII. Glass is expensive for sure but sooo nice. Besides, I like the ergo's and slew of external switches and dials for rapid camera control.

Also, another plug for the D700 over the D3 (Unless of course you are getting a great deal on the D3)
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-03-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
To me it comes down to dollars and sense. Yes, sense.

How much are you going to lose by making the switch? How many assignments/jobs will it take you to recoup that cost and then start making money again?

What does the D3 do for your business that your 1D MarkIII doesn't? Are those differences justifiable enough to incur the costs of switching brands?

What happens when Canon comes out with something even better in three or four years and you are tempted to switch back?

I've been shooting "professionally" with Canon since 2002. After the Mark III autofocus debacle I was tempted to switch to Nikon and the D3, but I didn't. It didn't make sense or cents. It would've cost me a fortune to sell my used Canon products and replace them will the Nikon equivalents. My MarkII N bodies worked (still work) more than well enough for my needs. There wasn't anything more I could offer clients with a D3 that I can't with my MarkII N, except larger file resolutions. Sure, the D3 has much better high ISO performance than a MarkII N, but I don't need those for my business and the photography I specialize in. It is rare for me to shoot above ISO 200. Sometimes I bump it to 400, and very rarely I'll shoot at 800. But if it's a commercial shoot I'll almost always find a way not to shoot 800.

Now that I've waited and not incurred any losses from making a switch, I can justify the expense of upgrading to the new Mark IV should I decide to get one for my business. This digital age means there's always something newer/cooler/better coming out every two or three years. Does that mean you need to buy a new camera every time there is an upgrade? I certainly hope not, 'cause that would be terrible for my business. You have to take a step back and really weigh the options from a business standpoint. Just 'cause you have the newest/coolest camera doesn't mean you have a better business or are suddenly a better photographer.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-03-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Heck just switching bodies is expensive - new L bracket, batteries etc. plus I don't think you'll find a better looking file then the 1D3 puts out regardless of whether a Canon L is as good as it's Nikon equivalent or not.

If the 1D4 is as good or better it's going to be awfully hard to beat. IMHO it took 2 generations of Canon bodies to surpass the original 1D's IQ. Canon always seems to work miracles with the sensors in their 1 series sports bodies.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-04-2009, 8:48 AM Reply   
You're absolutely right Garrett, you help me in more ways than you know.

Thanks again! I guess I will just wait it out to try the Mark 4. Now if I could get my broken 1D3 back from canon I would be a happy camper!

That's why this all came up, my mark 3 had a faulty switch and I am going to SC to shoot the coldwater this weekend and am a little bummed that i wont have my 1D3 back
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-04-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
Isn't this a sexy sight though?
Upload
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-04-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
riley....

What's your thoughts on the Panasonic GH1? My wife wants a camera.... and I want a video camera.... this is both in one.... Any of your expertise would be appreciated.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-04-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
Honestly I don't know much about Sony or the cameras that shoot both photo and video. I would wait for Cervenka, Cortese, or Dykmans to chime in.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-04-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Sexy is right.. and not only because of the SPL Waterhousing! btw Riley and I know this will seal the deal for you.. but you can get the SPL housing in any color you want. So HOT PINK is an option!!!

H20 - Brinks is the guy who you want to talk to about the GH1. Check out his post here with sample footage: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87667/744718.html?1257233426 The only issue is that you and your wife will want to shoot at the same time, but you'll only have one camera.. ;-)
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-04-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
it's cool... I'm bigger than her... lol I'll just take it from her. JK

Thanks brinks
Old     (101wake)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-04-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
HAHAHA!

David I already saw the Hot Pink and it was a deal sealer! Much better than my plain black one.

People may laugh but I will just say that I dont want to lose my few thousand dollar camera in the surf...
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-04-2009, 1:46 PM Reply   
And it would match my hot pink Alien Bees
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-04-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
Big swell predicted for this weekend but not sure how the weather will hold up, it's overcast in Aptos right. I'm thinking about heading over there tomorrow am myself.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
GH1-

Friend of mine is a pro photographer. Actually quite accomplished (Pulitzer). Shoots for a paper and has Nikon D3 bodies and oodles of Nikon glass laying around his house. He recently bought a GH1. Why? He said it is far superior in shooting video and photos then the other cameras out there.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-04-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
AP - Does your friend shoot only with the Panasonic lenses or does he use the adapter?
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-05-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
I have read reviews that said if you do hand held video, then stick with a designated video camera. It looked like when you moved from left to right, the picture would jerk.... I'm sure my terminology is not correct.... sorry
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-05-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
Rolling shutter artifacts - inherent to CMOS based imagers. That pretty much leaves out all of the DSLR cams. They're somewhat controllable if you're aware of the shooting conditions under which they occur.

Biggest problem I'm seeing with DSLR video is moire.