Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
Nothing at all wrong with a big V8, unless of course you could have a big V8 with twin turbo chargers!

I've always loved German cars, and the M5 was without a doubt the upper echelon when it was introduced. I just think it's starting to age quite a bit (especially the interior). The thing I like about the RS 6 is that it follows the same trends of understated excellence. Most people would have no idea it has 450BHP under the hood (until you show them).

rs6

rs62

The other thing I'm worried about is the direction BMW is going, the new 5 series looks scary to me. I really don't think I'd want one, regardless of the performance.

5series

5seriesint
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-18-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
being a bimmer fan and owner, the current m5 is on the way, the new m5 and m6 will be the balls, I have to admit I am impressed by the rs6, still a bimmer fan. If the m6 does not do it, I will turn the current m into a full blown race dinan and go with a 5 series.
Old    xtigeman            04-19-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
I used to be a big BMW fan, have owned them, but I do not like their new shapes. I don't really care for the new 7 or the Z-4 and the 5 series above looks like a one of those dogs puzzles where different parts don't really fit the entire scheme.

I was real torn between a 996 and the new M3. I, however, was not impressed with the SMG and think the M3 is a little tame looking. A guy at work has an M5 and another has a 540. Both are sweet sedans. I think the new Audis are steeping up and seem more advanced than the BMWs. The new S4 is appparently supposed to have a V-8 with around 350 hp.

There is truly no substitute for the 996 Twin Turbo. It has a back seat with ample room for small children. Porsches are solid, dependeble and can be used on the track and as a daily driver, unlike most super cars. They only need servicing every 15k. The boxer motor is smooth and strong. You can mod the crap out of them and get huge horsepower (550 to 650hp) and the braking system on the Twin Turbo is one of the best regardless of price.

M3 and M5 engines are pretty much squeezed out/maxed-out as far as horsepower. A 996, 993, or a 911 is just more fun to drive than the M3 or M5 to me. The M3 has that raw race car, feel your speed, unrefined feel like a ZO6. A 911 is more refined, sophisticated, and sneaky fast(feels like you are doing 50 and you look down and you are doing 110). Everything a 996 does performance wise feels understated and easy when behind the wheel.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
I told the chick, first profit sharing check she can get a porsche. I am a huge Porsche fan, but to me the BMW is a daily driver that doubles as a sports car, while the porsche is purely a sports car, at least the people I know do not use it as a daily driver. The M's are close to maxed out, that is why you will see the v-10 and 12's coming in the high rumor, the M-3 will get redone with v-8 although I am not so sure of that because of the weight, they might choose the dinan way of super charging.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
Mark my words, no M GmbH car will resort to any forced induction method to create power (at least under the current design team). They would rather invest all of the V-10 F1 technology into the motor to produce power than resort to forced induction (look at the 760 as an example).

The problem is, to be competitive with Audi and MB they're going to have to step up their game because the torque monsters coming from AMG are going to destroy any engine BMW can throw their way (738lb.-ft. from the twin turbo V-12 in the new CL63). Obviously people will continue to look to BMW for the "Ultimate Driver's Experience" because they're the only ones offering a manual, but IMO they're still going to lose ground because many people are more hung up on HP than overall driving performance.

BMW used to have the most attractive cars in the sport-luxury segment, but their latest offerings are terrible (especially compared to the current A6 and upcoming A8 which are both gorgeous).

I really hope BMW knows what they're doing with these bold (read ugly) designs they have coming out.

There is no question in my mind that the 996 is a MUCH better daily driver/GT car than the high strung M3. It is without a doubt the best performing, most tractable sports car available right now.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
Jason, that's what opinions are for. Owning an M is much cheaper per mile than a 996, at least in my limited circle of poor friends. And when you compare the rest of it, I find it an easy choice. But at present it's not an issue for me, as I going to enjoy a few years of no car payments and getting the VLX pd. I am very aware that M is very opposed to forced induction, that's why I am awaiting around to see what the m6 will look like. But in the future I have a feeling there will be a Porsche in my garage for the chick, and I will still be happy.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-19-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Whoa, sorry shane, I wasn't bagging on you at all. The 3 series is an incredible car and one I would love to own, especially an M edition!

The perfect car means different things for everyone, and the M3 comes darn close to satisfying all of the requirements for most.

Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2003, 5:23 AM Reply   
Oh i know, I just go round and round with my porsche buddies, I use my car as an everyday driver, they drive theirs on Sunday. I am just pointing out what I also see on rennlist, that most porsche guys have other cars as daily drivers, I am not to the point in my life to afford an 80K that I am not going to use as a daily driver. Don't get me wrong, i don't have ownership goggles, if I could buy any car it would be the new tt carrera. I think Porsche makes one of the ultimate sports cars, the only of the possibility being the F50.
Old    xtigeman            04-20-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
I like Jason think that the M3 is an incredible car also. It would have been nice had they done more with the outer design to make it more distinguishable from a regular 3 series. My dailey driver deal is I cannot rationalize spending close to $ 140,000 on a car to just drive it on the weekends.

The cool thing about Porsche, is you can put a lot of miles on them unlike a Ferrari. I did struggle between keeping a 996 and buying a late model Ferrari Mondial convertible or just getting the Twin Turbo. The maintenance on a Ferrari is just not worth it to me.
Old    splais            04-20-2003, 7:31 PM Reply   
You guys are all way off base here. The ultimate tow vehicle is this little baby - the turbo charged Honda Element. 465hp AWD wonder.
he

(Message edited by splais on April 20, 2003)
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-20-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
i think that between the mirros, exhaust, side grills, air dam, and hood/bumper/grill the m3 is fairly distinguishable. overall styling is pretty tame (which is good ticketwise!) unless you get something like laguna seca blue or phoenix yellow...

my tow vehicle

(Message edited by pesos on April 20, 2003)
Old    xtigeman            04-20-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
I talked about special ordering Laguna Blue with a two tone red and black interior. What a pain BMW was to try and get something not spec. Even just getting the normal red interior with the Laguna Seca Blue was near impossible as they don't offer that combination. You can send swatches into Porsche and get any color your want for both interior and exterior for only about $ 3,800 as an option. BMW should step up and do the same as some buyers want something somewaht unique and personalized.

(Message edited by xtigeman on April 20, 2003)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2003, 5:38 AM Reply   
Doug, you were not talking to the right person. The dealer was being a pita. Over at m3forums.com those boys have got some wicked combo's with just a little work.
Old    xtigeman            05-01-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
My wife and I drove the Cayene S (not the Turbo) today. It seriously kicks butt for a SUV. I have not seen the specs, but it felt very quick for a tiptronic and handles like a sports car. The braking and cornering are unreal for its size. Its like having a 911 that will pull a boat. Wife may get it tomorrow if she decides she is willing to give up the room. She wanted something bigger than her Tahoe, but I am working on her.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-01-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
That would be sweet, post pics and let us know what she decides! Then we want a real world test of you pulling your boat with it! :-)
Old    natedogg            05-01-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
I am wanting to know what kind of a grade these boat ramps are that you all are using. Where I live it is all of these people that drive these SUVs that jam up the ramp because they don't have enough power to pull it up the ramp!! Sure a moped will pull a boat down the street but can it stop it and pull it up the ramp?!?!? I have a 3/4 ton turbo diesel and when I put it in gear and head up the ramp the turbo is a screamn'

lets be realistic here you we are pulling around a boat and trailer that weighs 5000lbs+++ do any of these SUV's even weigh that??
Old    xtigeman            05-01-2003, 3:07 PM Reply   
Working out numbers as I type. Tow capacity is like 7,100 pounds. Car does seem small. Anyone know what it weighs.
Old    xtigeman            05-01-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
Going to pick it up. Hehehe.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-01-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
I just want to chime in with I HATE YOU ALL!!! I have been reading this post for the last month and I have realized that I need 3 jobs to support the crack habit we all call cars and trucks. Thank You all for helping feed my addiction. And congrats Doug if you get that new Mini-SUV.
Old    kiwihottie            05-01-2003, 6:02 PM Reply   
Hey Doug,
If your wife doesn't take the new SUV, I will....
Old    xtigeman            05-01-2003, 7:26 PM Reply   
Haha. Kaetlyn, you may have a fight on your hands. She is like a little kid with a new toy and telling her mom about it right now.
Old    whitechocolate            05-01-2003, 7:31 PM Reply   

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-01-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
grant, that is what I am talkin bout!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-01-2003, 9:20 PM Reply   
Pictures Doug, pictures! Did you go with the Turbo or an S?
Old    xtigeman            05-01-2003, 9:39 PM Reply   
I don't have a digital camera at home. My wife will be driving it to work tomorrow and will track a camera down.

Cayenne S. I got Lapis Metalic Blue (matches my boat), Grey Interior, 19 inch wheels, comfort seats with memory, and some smaller stuff. Not a whole lot of options. The sticker was just 61,700. The car is wicked. I kidnapped it for about an hour tonight and ripped a lot of small BMWs, and Ricers.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-02-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
Grant- I saw this truck racing at an 1/8 mile track with nitro. It had so much torque that the wheel was spinning inside the tire. Nothing was even coming close to beating it. I can't remember the exact stats but it was over 100 mph in 1/8 mile. Smoking!
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-02-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
Alright Doug, Memphis is only about 4 1/2 hours drive for me. I am dying to check it out! If I bring the boat can we go take the Porsche for a drive?

The wife really wants to hit Memphis in May so I am half way serious!
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-02-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
You guy's have it all wrong.

6.6l ohv aluminum LS1 V8 engine
Peak torque: 475 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
Peak power: 480 hp @ 6000 rpm
Six-speed manual rear-mounted transmission
C5 rear axle assembly with limited slip differential
ss
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-02-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
That would look good towing my boat!!!
Old    xtigeman            05-02-2003, 5:54 PM Reply   
Tony: No problem. Just give me a call when you are coming. 573-9308