Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Good afternoon everyone.....We are having a pro come up to my house to give 4 of us lessons on my boat. Besides the up front cost........do you ever "tip" the person or not????? I have talked to a few people who thought that I probably wouldn't......we are going to chip in for @ least half of their gas and he is staying @ my place so that saves him the cost of getting a hotel room. So please share any info you have....Thanks
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
I tipped both times I went to camp.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-02-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
He would probably appreciate it, and depending on who it is may even expect it, but given how much money you are saving him on his own expenses I really think you shouldn't have to that is a bit absurd, but you may want to
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-02-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
he is providing you a very specific and individual service and has a set rate. if you feel like the service was provided to you in a beneficial manner, you compliment by tipping... imo
Old    wickedwake            05-02-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
2.gratuity - an award (as for meritorious service) given without claim or obligation

Only if you feel he deserved a tip. A tip must always be earned.
Old    ozonerider            05-02-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
I did the same thing last year when my nephews were in town - figured they would have a lot better time learning from someone who actually knew what he was doing and knew how to teach.

The pro brought some boards for everyone to try out, was very patient and encouraging, and made sure we all had a really good time. I was happy to tip him generously.

What he appreciated more than the tip, though, was our asking him ahead of time what he liked to drink on the boat, what kind of sandwich would be good for lunch, and what his preferences in snack foods were. When he got to the boat, we had everything we needed and could stay out all day and hang out when we weren't riding.

Since we didn't have all that much stamina to ride the whole time, we pulled him for a couple of sets which he also appreciated. It also inspired us to do better.

Have fun with your pro!

(Message edited by ozonerider on May 02, 2005)
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-03-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
I am just wondering what is the "right thing too do" since I've never done this before. I really want him to feel comfortable and I think it would be no problem @ all maybe getting some of his food selections out of the way before he gets here. But the price is the same whether we went to his house of he comes here. So, I mean not to sound stupid here but I just want to make sure he doesn't think we are screwing him over or anything like that.......I hope that he wants to take a spin or two,three,four behind my boat!!!! It would be great to watch him tear it up! Afterall I will just be getting my new boat by then so it should be awesome!!!! Any more help would be great and I want to thank those of you who have already given me some info! Cheers and keep that line tight...............LATA
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-03-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
Brandon,
As a pro coach, I can tell you that we definately don't expect tips. Although they are much appreciated. Like others said, it really comes down to whether or not you feel he deserves it.
If you want to watch him ride, let him know he's to bring his gear and take a set if he likes. Most likely if he's passionate about wakeboarding, he will.
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-03-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
Mike,

Thanks for the input!!!! All 4 of us are really excited....and I understand what most of you are saying about the fact that if we really think he "earned" it... which basically means if we can learn stuff that otherwise we would have been either learning incorrectly if he would not be coming up to the great state of Pennsylvania! haha So, I am I guess wrong for making the assumption that he would bring his own gear, I guess I should email him to make sure he was going too do that. Also I did ask him to bring a board or two so we could check them out.....He will be here in a little over 2 weeks...We are getting very pumped!!!!! It should be a blast!!!!
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-04-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
Brandon,

Our traveling pros had the same question last year and heres our guidelines. Our main school near San Francisco, caters to a wide variety of cultures. In some cultures(Asain & Middle Eastern are two examples) it is considered an honor to recieve a tip from the customer. To Refuse is almost an insult. Now in the European Culture, Tipping is not something they do, because it is not necessary. Tipping is included in the bill. But, there way of saying that they like what you did, is to invite you to there country as a quest.
Now the American culture, is some what in between, If an American likes your service, they will want to buy you dinner and have a few beer afterward plus want you to come back as a quest.

So, here are a few quideline that we send our traveling pro out with. Does an instruction every require a tip..Absolute Not. The thrill of watch you land that tantrum, the one you tried all last summer to land, is payment enough.

Hope this helps.

Ric Morgan
www.learn2wakeboard.com
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
Thanks Ric.......I think I will go with what most of the people are sayin gabout seeing how things go and then take it from there....I mean each of us can tip him for what we got out of it! Thanks everyone and keep on riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
"I did ask him to bring a board or two so we could check them out....."
If he is traveling on an airline this can add to the cost of his ticket depending on the airline rules.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-05-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Mike,
Are you guys going to be doing an Adult Camp this year later on in the summer???
I would definately be interested if you do!
Thanks
Erik
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-05-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
is it just me or when you think about it, it seems like he is almost asking about a hooker...but that is just my dirty mind...kinda weird that he gets referred to as a "pro" instead of his/her name
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-05-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
I like the way you think midwesty!!
Funny!! but kinda true
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-06-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
John he will be driving from good ole NC! Oh and for Midwesty's sake his name is Adam Fields! Sorry I didn't mean to make him sound like a hooker hahahaha But hey I am sure it pays well

ps- I tried my first backroll last night.....I made it about 3/4 the way around!!! Didn't even hurt myself so more "huckin" this weekend and I hope to have it before Adam even gets here! if not I am sure he will help me through it! Cheers
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Adam is a great instructor!!! You'll have a lot of fun. I had a few lessons with him last summer and it helped a lot, and will get a few more in this summer.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-07-2005, 5:25 AM Reply   
yeah I've heard nothing but good things about Adam from people....Everyone says he just has a great way with wording stuff for you to understand it and be able to apply it to your riding....And he definitely showed everyone that he's a pretty damn good rider this past week for the opening weekend! I was very happy to see that he made it that far! Congrats to him once again.