Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-06-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
I just saw the Maven DVD... I have to say I just love seeing only women wakeboarding and skating... Ive seen it around 10 times (Im not obsessed)
I would love to be part of something like that!
I have a doubt... If Stef Tor wakeskates for LF, why is it that Melissa has a wakeskate made for her and she doesnt?
Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-09-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Hey Cristina, I'm so glad you're stoked on Stef--we sure are! In answer to your question, Melissa has been with us, Liquid Force, for a very long time and as she's an awesome wakeskater (besides wakeboarder)so it was 3 years ago that we gave her a pro-model skate. Stef just joined us this year and we are so excietd about it! Stef is certainly blowing up the skate scene for girls and who knows what will come from her in the next few years. Keep your eyes peeled . . .
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-09-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
Just read the article. Good stuff. Cathy Williams can never get enough credit or recognition. Shes truely an inspiration.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-10-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
I didnt know Stef just joined in... Shes a great role model... I love it that shes always trying to push girls into the sport... What she says on the DVD is so true, girls admire the girls that do sports but never try to become one. I guess I was a little bit like that until I found this sport that I LOVE... wakeboard! Which has become my obsession... hahaha And look at me.. with my new board, Im a maven rider too!
pic1

Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       12-12-2005, 6:00 AM Reply   
Hi Kathleen,
Are the DVD's available now? I think the Maven stuff is really great,keep it coming!
Also wondering if I could get any of the other Maven riders at my place to do a Demo Day or clinic while I have Cathy Williams this coming season.
Karen Nelems
Nelems Marine
Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-12-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
Cristina--sick board, girl!!! Nice work . . and yes, you are a Maven rider too--that's the spirit! We love how many girls are coming out of the woodwork so great job and keep spreading the stoke--we should be updating the Maven site soon too so keep your eyes on it. Thanks for your support and words of encouragement. Keep rawk'n it, lady!
Old     (kathleen)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-12-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
Karen--the Maven DVD's are included in every Liquid Force Maven product--all the boards and bindings. Then a bunch of shops have a few copies but only for promotional use. Hopefully we'll be able to release some more after the New Year. I'll work on it. And hey, please contact me regarding a clinic--my email is on the LF website. Thanks for the props!
Old                12-12-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Not only has Liquid Force found the sickest chick rippers but they’re all hot too! Did you see the pics from LF Maven in the Keys? (There’s more pics on their website). Chicks that rip and are hot—do you think they’ll accept online marriage proposals? Love the Maven ladies! Please keep putting them on wakeworld.
Old                12-12-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
soo hot love that Amber wing...
Old                12-14-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
If anyone is in the Kansas City area, Stef and Melissa Marquardt will be in town for the KC Boat Show at Bartle Hall Jan 15-18!
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-18-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
I rode with Laruen Loe, and Melissa last week. they were so much fun to ride with. That was the first time I have ever rode with just all girls. It was nice, not having to worry about the guys. Plus it was nice just to be the most advanced rider on the boat... besides the Pro's. I just wish they were not on their cell phones texting the whole time. Plus it would be nice if the water at the lake wasnt so choppy because of the wind.
Old     (soaoroaoh)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2006, 11:28 PM Reply   
I got some Minx and a Cadence back in March and didn't get a DVD :-(

(Message edited by soaoroaoh on June 18, 2006)
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-19-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
Kelley
I am not the person to speak on behalf of Melissa and Lauren, but this is just my .02 on what I have experienced from coaches with Taylor:
When you do this day in and day out as most of the girls and other coaches do, they immediately know what to look for that you may be doing wrong. Especially for the beginner riders, it may be a matter of body or handle position. This does not require their constant eyes focused on you.
Taylor was in Florida riding with Dave Briscoe a year ago, When Taylor jumped in the water and started riding, Dave was making phone calls, texting, and talking and laughing with everyone else in the boat. My immediate thought was this guy does not care what she is doing. After about two trips up & down the lake he stopped the boat told the person on the phone to wait for a minute and pointed out about 5 things Taylor needed to do differently. When we got in the car, the other person was very impressed as they thought the same that he wasnt paying attention to Taylor ride, until he pointed out what she was doing wrong.
My point is only that when you do this day in and day out, all it takes is them watching for a brief moment to tell what you may be doing wrong or need to improve. Im sure WE ARE ALL guilty of being at work and talking on the phone at some point. I hope this gives you a better understanding from their point.
I think this is also called multi-tasking? haha

(Message edited by LFTaylor on June 19, 2006)

(Message edited by LFTaylor on June 19, 2006)
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-23-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
I just have to respond to this post to commend the 2 Mavens we just had here in Wisconsin, Barrett Perlman and Stephanie Walmsley. Not only were they both extremely professional, helpful, attentive and patient both days on the boat AND off the water, they were fun and all-around GREAT girls.

Kathleen from Liquid Force was also present at our session, and she was exactly the same way. She also made sure each and every girl felt welcome and included. Also, even when it was totally pouring and it would have been really easy to cancel the whole day, she kept up the spirits of all the girls, and we eneded up riding in the rain in the morning, and the sun came out later just for us!

I was honored to host these three absolutely wonderful girls, and I can't wait to do it again!!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
I will second Keni's comments -- AND add a MASSIVE prop to Keni and her shop, The Lake Geneva Board Shop. Keni and Jayson have single handedly (dual handedly?) done more to advance wakebaording/wakeskating in the northern IL/ southern WI area than any other shop or group. Without them we wouldn't have much of a cohesive scene and they keep every event on a very fun, pleasant, non-threatening level.

Anyway -- I had a great time and thought that some of the girls from WakeWorld might just want to see themselves. Enjoy!

We had less than ideal conditions! Thanks, Wisconsin!
Upload

Erica
Upload

Erica getting some air
Upload

Kels trying out some new LF gear
Upload
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Megan is a local LF rider.

Upload
working hard to land a roll in the chop
Upload
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
Jackie

Upload

With the help of the Maven team and a sweet wake on the X-2 Jackie landed a smoooooth wake to wake.
Upload
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-23-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
Lizrd- That aboce picture is VERY calm water compared to the water they had in Kansas. Also I want to respond to the above post if I was unclear. I never once saw any of the four girls be anything but professional on the Kansas trip. I was merely responding to the post above that the girls were not totally into the clinic. That was not the case, I think everyone learned alot from them (Melissa, Lauren, Stef, Barrett) and many of the girls came back for the cable session on Sunday. These clinics are for girls and to get more girls into this sport which we need. Please lets all promote the positive for them to help our sport!!!!
Scott
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-24-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Aw! Thanks, Liz!! We do it all for you guys!!!
Old     (kelli22)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-24-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thanks to Keni and the LF Girls I had a Awesome time!!! Thanks Liz for the pics. Hope to ride with you guys again soon.

Kels
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
hi keni-
i wanted to apologize again for missing the maven session..i'm hoping to make the one that munson is sponsoring in july..too bad you're so far from me!! melissa and neil say hi!!
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
LOL, Hi Farrah, it's OK!! I hope you can make it to another one because those Maven Girls SERIOUSLY rock. I didn't want them to leave!!
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
What's the name of the Maven DVD? Trying to search for it.
Thanks
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
It comes with the Maven gear when you buy it.. it's just like 10 min long... but it rocks!
Old                07-08-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
I did the Maven session this week at Lake Tapps near Seattle and it ROCKED!! I was in the boat with Amber Wing and it was amazing. All the girls rode and got advice from her on how to advance from where they were individually. Then we got the pure JOY of watching her ride. She was the epitome of professional. She was positive, helpful, fun and funny. She wanted to know what the "canadian geese" were doing in America... I met Stef Tor for a short bit and she, too, was great! I signed up for the Portland session later in the month. Now the boat driver, he was a different story... those hideous power turns!! He didn't want any advice from a bunch of girls either. Thanks Liquid Force!!!!
Old                07-10-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
yeeeahhh!
im repping maven 100% ;)
hey kathleen!
Upload
Old                07-21-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
UploadI did a Maven Session in Portland, OR last Tuesday. I rode with Barrett Perlman and chit-chatted with Andrea Fountain...It was unbelievable. Everyone from LF was so kind and just sharing the love and their knowledge. I learned A TON and had the best time. In just 30 mn I already had progressed on my jumps. I can't believe LF provides that for free. They rock! I definitely recommend doing a Maven session to any girl or woman out there. Any level...they are very helpful, kind, patient. Don't even think about it twice! We also got to see Barrett doing some pretty sick inverts! I never saw a pro girl ride for real before...so much better than the DVD!
Old                09-14-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
We love Maven @ www.slidingglass.com - Barrett Perlman and Stef Toro ride for us and we think what Maven is doing for girls and wakeboardiNG totally kicks A$$!!!
Ride hard ladies! & Watch for the New Slidingglass team video ready to rock your computer screens late this fall!

(Message edited by DYONISUS on September 14, 2006)
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Do they do any Maven Sessions in Kelowna,BC or area?!??!!?. We are always looking for female riders to go with (esp. during the week when our husbands are at work)