Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-14-2013, 2:12 PM Reply   
Unfortunately my 2006 VLX did not come with the 4 hard tanks. It has the 2 rears and the midship tank. NO front hard tank.

I haven't messed around with the ballast set up too awful much but I have found out that putting a 400lb bag as far forward in the walkway really makes the wake shape up nicely (hence the reason they probably offered it with the additional front tank). Eventually I will do rear bags probably the 400's on each side. I believe with the stock hard tanks, that would total 1300 just in the rear... right?

So what is my best bet to get the weight I need up front. The obvious is the open bow bag at 1000 lbs, but then again I am not crazy about having the bow completely taken up by a bag. Anyone had the integrated bow sac in their VLX? does it fit well? How much do you think your ale to fill it too?
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-i...d-bow-sac.html

Any feedback from someone with similar set ups is greatly appreciated.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-14-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
I have a '08 VLX. I would suggest a combination of pop bags/lead, plus your 400 lbs bag. That hull loves nose weight, especially if you are using the wedge.

I do have the front tank, but here is my set up to give you an idea of distribution.

Plumbed in:
Rear: removed rear tanks and plumbed in 565 on each side.
Midship: full factory
Nose: full factory

Additional:
400 in walkway
pop bags
4 on each side in the bow cut outs
3 under the helm
3 under the observer dash
4 in the cooler
4 under the cushion opposite of the cooler
1 under each rear corner cushion (there is just enough room on the floor with the rear tanks removed)
2 floating around the cabin to clean the wake up as needed.

Wedge all the way down.
Old     (RWBVride)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-15-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
There is a benefit to not having the front tank. You have storage under the bow seating! I have the same set up on my 07 VLX. It hasn't posed a problem at all. I run 750lb bags in each rear locker as full as I can get them without popping the engine dividers. I completely fill the 1,000lb open bow sack plus the stock ballast full and no wedge. The wake is great! I do run a 1615-112m Acme prop to get this all on plane as well. If you like a big wake you will love this. Good luck.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
I only have 3 tanks in my 06 VLX as well (mid tank + 2 rear tanks) and here is what I run:

No wedge
Full MLS (3 tanks = approx. 1,000 lbs) + 10@50 lb Leadwake bags (500 lbs) in the bow as far forward as I can put them + 2@750 lb sacks filled about 75% full (approx. 1,110 lbs) and laying on top of the rear hard tanks + a standard crew of 6 people.
Standard Monsoon
Acme 1235 prop
23 mph with 75 ft line (includes handle)
23.6 mph with 80 ft line (includes handle)

Last edited by tranner; 08-15-2013 at 8:34 AM. Reason: added more text
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-15-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
I am actually surprised by the no wedge usage. It seems to make a big difference when I am running with just the 3 hard tanks and 400 in the bow. Maybe not so much with the extra weight in the rear....? or does it not plane with all the rear weight + wedge?

Still no one who has done the fly high integrated bow sack....??

@Brian - you removed the rear hard tanks that are below the floor? So are your bags totally above the floor or is that whole floor panel removed.. I haven't really messed around back there to see what is going on..
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-15-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
I removed the tanks and the floor, so the bags are sitting directly on the hull. I originally had them set up as piggyback, but did not like how the bags kept the carpet wet and would mildew. I was taking the bags out every time, too much hassle. One of the best things I ever did to the boat.