Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
So has anyone plasti-dipped a tower yet? I remember reading a thread about it a while back but nobody had actually done it. I am interested in changing my tower color and plasti-dip is much cheaper and easier to apply than paint or powdercoat.
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-13-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm doing mine within the next couple of weeks. Funny that you posted this, as I've been planning to do this for the past couple weeks. I'm going black, as the outside of my 2007 Sanger is black/orange outside, with a white inside. I think black will bring some beautiful change and make it look refreshed and more modern.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-13-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k59 View Post
I'm doing mine within the next couple of weeks. Funny that you posted this, as I've been planning to do this for the past couple weeks. I'm going black, as the outside of my 2007 Sanger is black/orange outside, with a white inside. I think black will bring some beautiful change and make it look refreshed and more modern.
Curious how well this would work. I know guys have been doing it to badges and bumpers. How tough is it to scrap off? How does it handle high exposure to UV and heat?

I know there was a guy talking about using it to finish his sub box. I dont think that is the greatest application for this product.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-13-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   
Can't wait to see it finished, I've tried researching it but I can't find any pictures of somebody that really went through with it,

The other thing a was wondering is they make a clear coat for it to make it shinny and I did know if it still pealed off just like regular plasti-dip.
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
Heres a good video on how to do a car. It shows how to apply it via spray and how easy it is to remove. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by k59 View Post
Please post some pics as you go. I am very interested in seeing the process on a tower.
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
My friend has a "business" that sells plasti-dip and accessories exclusively. I'm pretty sure they will apply it too for the right price. I'm planning on doing my wheels on my car once it gets warmer up here.

Anyways there is now finishing coats that is made by the plasti-dip brand. One is a shiny looking clear coat and they have some metallic silver and gold flake.

http://www.dippedcars.com/

He just got his website going. So shameless plug to check it out.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-13-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
Plasty dip your tower? People Come on you're serious? Someone educate me here The plasty dip that I know Is great for waterproofing small items I use it on small electronic items in an RC boat or car I would never promote the use of it on wheels for a high traffic area like a tower on a wakeboard I'm sure you can apply it on pretty much anything But the question is should you? In my opinion that would be a hell to the no!

I know a powder coated finish has to wear on a tower much better than the plasti dip And that requires some maintenance I can't imagine what the softer plasti dip finish Would look like two minutes after someone tied a rope or a bumper to your tower.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-13-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
My buddy dipped his wheels gun metal this summer, they look great and are still....

It's good because you can peel if off easily if you hate it but I see grants point about bumpers...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Plasty dip your tower? People Come on you're serious? Someone educate me here The plasty dip that I know Is great for waterproofing small items I use it on small electronic items in an RC boat or car I would never promote the use of it on wheels for a high traffic area like a tower on a wakeboard I'm sure you can apply it on pretty much anything But the question is should you? In my opinion that would be a hell to the no!

I know a powder coated finish has to wear on a tower much better than the plasti dip And that requires some maintenance I can't imagine what the softer plasti dip finish Would look like two minutes after someone tied a rope or a bumper to your tower.
Thousands of people have successfully plasti dipped wheels and cars and bumpers and they have held up for years.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-26-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
I plasti dipped my trucks grill, bumpers, and wheels a year ago, and it has not peeled off yet, It still looks good. I was expecting it to peel tho.....as far as doin my tower, I have thought of it, but have'nt pulled the trigger. I would like to see someone do it and post pics. I just don't want to be the first....HaHa
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-26-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
I think I am going to try it on my truck mirrors. They are black now - I will see how close the white will match my truck.
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
Plastidip isn't any easier than regular spray paint.. and regular spray paint won't rub off in your hands (if you prep properly)
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-04-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
reg spray paint doesn't come off a easily tho, I think were all not sure if we are going to like it, so if we don't, plasti would be easier to remove. Proper way would be to remove the tower and have it powder coated by a local shop. Price would be bout 400+$$$ where i'm at