Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-02-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
I apologize for the rant in advance....

So I get a call today on the '09 X-star that I have for sale. They guy goes on to tell me that there was a similar one (year older) sold for $53K. He asked me what I wanted for mine.

I told him I had it originally listed a month ago for $67K, and had recently dropped it down to $64K, but would take $61K if he was really interested. That it was the cheapest '09 on the net with a 100 hours anywhere by almost $10K.

He was like, "well, you don't even want to know my offer then." I said, "sure if do", knowing that this idiot was gonna throw something dumb out there. He said, I'll pay $54K for it.

I politely asked him how he came up with that number. I told him that book difference between an '09 and an '08 $8K. But he said, yeah, well it has the more expensive metallic paint. I said whatever.

I did some more digging later on ebay through completed listings to find the real boat he was talking about. Was really a '09 that didn't include the trailer and ended as a no reserve auction for $52K. I was like holy *****. No way in hell did that boat sell for $10K below market.

So I tracked down the seller. I asked if it really had sold. Was a dealer. Dude gave me some excuse saying yeah, it sold but I've had a hard time getting a hold of the winner. Wont return my calls. Said that it was some kid on his dads account that won it. Bull*****.

Turns out, mr lowballer was 2nd highest bidder to the highest bidder (dealer), and they scammed the price up to $52K.

So my issues with ebay are:

1) Completed listings now show that an '09 X-star with 9 hours is only worth $53K, and people will really believe that when even the cheapest one on the net is mine for $64K (not counting ugly one for $63K with brown interior), and the next cheapest is $70K.

2) People see auctions that didn't end for stuff and think that the highest bid is only what people are willing to pay for it. They're like, well, it only made a bid up to $39K so that's all it's worth. That's the farthest from the truth. Most people don't buy stuff through ebay. It's basically for lead generation these days.

3) You have people putting no reserve auctions up there with them bidding it up them selves to get to the number they need. And then screwing the whole market up when you have to close it for way less than what it should sell for.

Sorry for the rant. It just really irks me when I get calls from these people claiming that they should have a boat for less than wholesale and use ebay bids and fake winning bids as an argument for price.

I really understand people wanting to get great deals. I do too. But some of these people just go way too far.

Even though I hate them, still gotta use them. Not everyone knows about onlyinboards.

Sorry, had to put a picture in. Threads are boring without something to look at. And just so it's not like I'm trying to post my boat up, this one is a different boat that I already sold. Damn, I wish I had 3 more of these. Easiest boat in the world to sell. This X-Star has been a PITA.

Last edited by bmh2208; 11-02-2010 at 6:36 PM.