Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-26-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article/Events/Video-Reno-Pro-Tour-Wrap-up

great editing and Jimmy planting a seed and watching it grow! LOL!

And last but so not least, Phillips speech, it surprised the room, it was awesome!

Check it out!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-26-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
It's great to see his maturity level rising to the level of his riding...and it seems that his attitude is earning him respect from his peers. Congrats to him on a great year.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
Froggy is now Phil. I love it....
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
I think the level of womens riding, no matter how poor some people think it is, definitely got better as the season progressed. At the start of the season Amber was about the only one hitting the transfer box. By the end almost all the ladies were, despite some of the massive crashes. That alone is an indication of stepping it up. Or at least making an effort.
For the women to be totally ignored in that presentation vid is a huge insult. To all of them.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-26-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say 'totally' ignored, as they showed Nicola taking some type of recognition/award. If it was an hour presentation, you might have a beef...but that clip was what, 5 minutes? I don't expect it was meant as a recap for the entire event, more just a taste for those of us not able to be there to enjoy.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
Loren, people can say what they like. Womens wakeboarding is bottom of the pile. Why would junior men take precedence over Pro Women?I know they are so much better but they are not Pro's. I do not want to get into an argument over it but unfortunately that is where women stand. They featured the top 3 pro men so where was Amber and Emily?
It is difficult for me because I have such an interest in it. To be honest if I didn't I probably wouldn't say a thing.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-26-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Get a life.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Thanks Luker. Insightful.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-26-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
No problem.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Okay, I am sorry I mentioned it. I don't want to hijack this and for the thread to start running all over the place. So apologies. I was there and I thought Philips speech was great. And a huge surprise.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Everytime I log on Chris you're getting into it with someone. I agree that the women should have been represented a little better in the online video. The state of womens wakeboarding this year, IMO has taken a huge step forward. The Pro Tour almost dumped the womens competition portion all together a few years back. It just doesn't draw sponsorship dollars nor fan support like the Jr mens division and Pro men's division. I think with so many up and coming female riders pushing their riding level that it will change in the future. But until the women can compete at the riding level of the Jr. Men and the Pro Men, Pro Womens wakeboarding will still be as you put it "At the bottom of the pile
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-26-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
I completly agree wih you Hahn.. THe Jr mens division will destroy the women. I see groms in the local comps that no one knows about that will kill the women. You are starting to see women step it up but lie you said until they can compete with the Jr Mens and Pro mens they will be at the bottom...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
More like someone is always getting on Chris for his opinions, all he did was state his opinion, witch I agree with and Luker had to put in his useless comments that had nothing to do with the thread.
The top 3 pro ladies should have been included in the recap, thats all.

(Message edited by innov8 on July 26, 2008)
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Steven, I am not purposely trying 'to get into it with anyone' and you have said exactly what I think. The women are never going to get to that level. One might come along in a decade that could maybe ride in junior men, but as a whole? It is never going to happen. Therefore the interest is minimal.
It is just what it is, and again, if Steve Merrit hadn't stepped up they would be in really bad shape.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
Why should it matter if the women don't have the same tricks as the men? They should still be fairly compensated for their sport! This year is the first step. Jr. men have been compensated for awhile, whereas Jr. women have to turn Pro to get anything. Did you know that sponsors encourage Jr. women to stay in that division until they have to move up because of age, just so they don't have to pay them. Maybe with this years riding things will change a little. But the economy dictates this sport, there is not a lot money to go around. Bigger fan base and better sales revenue is the only thing that will turn this sport into what it used to be. It's almost a no brainer that Cable will be taking over. For the cost of 1 months boat payment/ fuel/ insurance/ incedentals, you can ride the cable for a year. Look for that to happen soon, it is already in the works. Back to the topic, Sports have always catered more to the men than women, that's the way it will always be.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-26-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
I was just kidding with Chris. I think there was an unfair light shed on him about the other thread. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Back in 2001 I used to get so mad at Umali I could have thrown my PC right out the window. Lol! Now I just avoid getting baited into an online argument. They're worthless.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Agreed, lets get back on topic.
I really enjoyed the riding that was getting thrown down this year, congrats to all the riders for stepping it up yet again for 08.
Congrats Phillip for a great year and a great speech.
Congrats Nicola for dominating the season and stepping it up, it was a lot of fun watching you ride!!
Thanks Jimmy for planting the seed and letting it grow.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-26-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
I posted this thread so that those that couldn't be there could see what went down. That was such a fun night and to be honest with you, I was so proud of Jimmy and Phillip. (and nicola and Emily and Amber) not to get into arguments. And the fun didn't end there did it??
Old     (lf23)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-28-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thanks Robyn
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-28-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Cool video.

..and another thread ruined by pointless whining.