Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
Finally got the stereo done. Installed and working properly. Its been a long road for this the past winter but with the expertise of Exile, and Sub Zero my boat is rocking

Stereo

Kenwood 700U with on-board Remote controls the Tunes

6 Polk DB 651.s are in the cabin for the peeps
4 XM7s on the tower for the boarders
1 Exile Big 12 sub woofer to scare the fish away
1 Custom sub enclosure made by Sub Zero and Exile

Exile 800.4 powering the cabins
Exile 1500.1 powering the sub - with separate volume control
Exile 1k Harpoon powering the tower - with seperate volume control and Throttle box control for Wake board Distance or Wake Surf distance tuning.

For the record i did 100% of the install.
All connections are heat shrunk
Power and Ground lines are Fuse protected.

Power and ground to the distro blocks are 1.0 gauge
Power and ground to the amps are 4.0 gauge
Remote Power to amps is 14 gauge
Speaker lines are 14 gauge

I have 3 batteries currently. 1 as the main starting battery. 2 as the Stereo Batteries.
All Battery jumper cables are 2.0 gauge

When you open the cubby you see no wires from my install i tried to keep everything hidden from the normal view and you have to look up or behind the bulk head to see any wiring that is traveling to the different systems.

I kept my power and ground on 1 track threw the boat and my RCAs on another track threw the boat.

Old     (mvanhove)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-19-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Looks like a great set up.
Old     (rwb_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-19-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Nice set-up! I'm in the process of installing my XM7's....should be up by this weekend.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-19-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
Great looking boat !
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-19-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I don't chatter a lot on WW i mostly read and listen but i thought this was worth posting as i spent a lot of time working on this and i feel i got some serious quality gear.

Few little things to tweak and change but that's only because im a stickler to detail. Pictures made me see a few things i want to adjust lol.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-19-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
Love the boat! Nice work on the install, I'd love to hear those tower speakers...
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-20-2010, 5:24 AM Reply   
That boat looks sweet with no graphics. Very clean install.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-20-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
How did you get the Harpoon amp already?? I thought they were still in production and not ready yet??
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-20-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
What brand power wires did you use? Looks like a great intall.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-20-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Mandley -

Good to see your boat finished and ready for the lake. I know it's been a long winter project for you. I think in the end when you get get to enjoy a few refreshments at the party cove, it'll have all been worth the effort!! I agree with BMR - boat looks sweet with the graphics removed. Like the tinted windows too. Gives it a mean look!

Mendo - That tower setup is LOUD AS !@$# and sounds good for 400+ feet. I know Mandley shot a video. He'll have to post it up here as its damn impressive.

cwkoch - Mandleys Harpoon is a pre-production version. He agreed to do beta testing on the amplifier and throttle box circuit for Exile. His feedback was very important in making the amplifier bullet proof and production ready. Looks like Harpoon amplifiers will start rolling out the door this Friday.

Cheers!

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-20-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Very nice very clean install, not to much but not to little either. You chose some damn nice equipment Exile is really moving up in the game big time!

Please do post up the youtube video so we can all see it.
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-20-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
I like how you did the wires/guard to protect the sub. Haven't seen one like that. Looks clean.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-20-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
I'll have to give it to the guys @ Exile, I ordered up a few pairs xm7s to try them out. Loaded 2 pr on my boat this last weekend I can say these guys are right on the money.

VERY easy install
Well finished product, cosmetically
Quality components through out
Very slick quick release clamp that rotates
Each comes with a storage bag with handles
Oh ya, and they sounds great too!

I'm not saying the the competition lacks any of the above qualities, just noting that the guys @ Exile hava done their homework before putting a product into market.
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-20-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone once again. As i said before i don't talk a lot on WW but i read a lot. I did a lot of home work before investing my money in the Exile brands. I still have new cabins coming, waiting on the new Exile cabins to show up.

I hooked up with Exile back in Nov and decided to deal in there products and since i was going Big they offered to have me test the Harpoon. Let me tell you several revisions have been done to this amp. Its pretty much a bullet proof amp now. The summer will tell how there products stand up because I like my stereo cranked up.

Go Big or Go Home.

Reading what everyone thinks on WW is very important to me as this is the big league site and if you dont bring your A game the people here will call you out for it.

As for wiring I used true to gauge wires. Measures at the wire not the insulation.

I got all the wires and components threw Tsumai http://www.tsunamionline.com/index2.html

Heres the video we shot of the boat. I didnt edit this, nor did i change anything to it. I just set the camera up on a Tri-Pod and drove the truck till i ran out of room.

The boat is more then 400+ feet away.

Last edited by mmandley; 04-20-2010 at 5:22 PM.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Looks and sounds great! Cant wait to hear it again, only on the water next time.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-20-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
Is there anyway to paste a link to the video? When I click on it I get a slide show.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
vid don't work for me.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
No work for me either. I bet it sounds good. When you are between two buildings like that it will be much louder than when your on the water.
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-20-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
I uploaded it to U Tube.

99_slaunch your right the building will help hold the sound some what but im telling you this thing is still loud and sounds great at that distance even on the water. We had it on the water Sunday and several people mentioned how loud it was. The sub is my favorite part as you can actually hear the bass at wake boarding distance and i haven't been next to a boat that does that as of yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZYZcVkXUc
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-20-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
Wow!! That is insane!! Can't beleive how clear it sounds.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
That does sound really great and clear, very impressive! Bass knocks the whole time.

5000 watts? uh no, more like 3k gotta go off RMS. Think of it this way its more impressive that you're getting that out of a true 3k.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-22-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Could you feel the bass through the rope ann onto the handle?
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-22-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I hear ya Hate and Pain on the 3K but you also have to think about the fact the amps are rated when running 4 ohms. The 800.4 is at 2 ohms and the 1K is running at 2 ohms the 1500.1 is at 1ohm and Brian can attest to this that 1500.1 pushes a solid 2K to that sub all day. We cranked it and saw 40+ volts and 3600 watts to the sub.

Yes it does sound amazing for 3K watts but Brian even says its pushing a lot more then 3K.

RMS 800, 1500 and 1K is still 3300 =)

Last edited by mmandley; 04-22-2010 at 2:57 PM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
LOL, I figured only half of the 800.4 at two ohms. I just hate those amps that rate themselves at their "max" rating, to me its BS.

3600 watts! That pumps me up I get my 2500.1 tomorrow : )

Oh and FYI the rated RMS for the 1500.1 is 1500 at 1 ohm and the Harpoon is 1000 at 2ohms, I'd guess the birth sheets on them is higher.

At any rate as I said you got some killer gear that sounds hot! Kudos.

Coop, can you feel the bass off your 15's through the handle?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-22-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
O yeah lol
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Nice! You're powerin those with what a T2500? Thats some good push.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-22-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
T3000

That video is impressive..
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
Hate N Pain LOL, I figured only half of the 800.4 at two ohms. I just hate those amps that rate themselves at their "max" rating, to me its BS.

3600 watts! That pumps me up I get my 2500.1 tomorrow : )

Oh and FYI the rated RMS for the 1500.1 is 1500 at 1 ohm and the Harpoon is 1000 at 2ohms, I'd guess the birth sheets on them is higher.

At any rate as I said you got some killer gear that sounds hot! Kudos.

Right you are sir.

I herd you just bought a 2500.1 we thought about running this on my sub but figured it was a little over kill LOL.

That's a monster amp and if you read it while its cranked im sure you will see way more power then you ever expected. One thing i can say about Exile amps is they are a bit underrated as RMS power. Kinda like the old 70s muscle cars, dealers said they had X amount of HP to make the insurance companies happy but in true form they had a lot more.

One other nice thing to mention about the Exile amp is Exile tested there amps to run at max all day with out over heating, thats a big plus for being in a hot in the sun all day. I will be testing that idea this summer, you can bet on that.
Old     (kbob)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-23-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
Malo did you mount all your components directly to your cabin wall or did you make a separate mounting board and cover it in carpet? Did you draw up any wiring diagrams by any chance? I'm looking to do mine in the next couple of weekends...just brainstorming I guess...
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hi there Kbob, i used 1/2 inch HDP for the amp boards. I covered them in matching marine carpet. Got a yard from Skiers Choice to match my carpet. I then drilled a 2inch hole behind each amp to run the wires threw. All the amps are also sitting on 1/2 inch blocks mounted on top of the carpet screwed into the amp board to allow enough clearence to run the wires under the amps and threw the hole for a more seamless look.

I dont have any diagrams to show here but you can PM your email and i can help ya out.