Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       05-24-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
i have a liquid force skimskate 5.0 , been using for the last year and want to progress to a faster smaller board, am 6 ft and 180lbs, any suggestions. ps, my kids both surf also and they need to use smaller board also, thanks
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-24-2006, 11:50 PM Reply   
hyperlite coex 4.4
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 5:28 AM Reply   
Buffalo Cruncher X 3 :-) It might be helpful for us, Dale, to know what style you'd like to ride, surf or skim. The types of tricks you and your kids would like to progress to - are the kids wanting to do shuv-its while you are wanting to air the board out? I'm sure every one has a personal prefernce, but it might not fit within what you want to achieve.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
Either you're kidding about the Hyperlite Coex or you just haven't rode enough boards to know better. IMO- while all the wakeboard companies have boards that "work" none of them are ideal for anything but cruising. (and yes I've ridden the Coex and absolutely hated it)
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
if he wants fast, responsive and small, the hyperlite is the best he can get. I have the coex, and don't use it because one my wake isn't big enough to really use it and i'm still new enough to the point I like my LF 5.0 better.

Everybody's opinion is different.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
How many have you seen on the podium? You say it's the best he can get so I'm assuming that you've ridden a Phase 5, Calibrated, Walzer, and Walker to come to that conclusion. I'm sorry but there are way more responsive boards out there than the Coex.

Trust me when I say that a board that is actually designed for wakesurfing from the ground up and made with quality materials is going to perform circles around any Hyperlite or Liquid Force.

BTW- I've been wakesurfing for 3 years and have tried out QUITE A FEW boards in that time.

(Message edited by caskimmer on May 25, 2006)
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Boys, boys, boys. :-) This wrangling goes on every year. Just qualify your expertise for the everyone. Sean CaSkimmer has an association with Walzer Skimboards and has ridden that style for what - 20 years? :-) BTW, when are they going to be availabe for retail?! I could die of a coronary. :-) Brandon, which boards have you ridden and years of experience.

Can we do something like: "IMO, 7 years, 18 different boards - The coex and all of the HPLFCWB are poor offerings" What do we say guys? The forums have such a great potential, but if it's littered with "the Coex (or whatever) is the best" statements, when someone has only ridden THAT board it denegrates the input to worthlessness.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
HOW ABOUT NOW!!!! HA HA!!!!
A lot got done when I was in Cabo and production boards are being made as I type this.

BTW-Jaime took 1st down there.

...and what's up with all these rumors of people being towed into double overhead waves on a wakesurfer?!?
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
I saw that Jaime won, did he throw that superman shuv-it? He really has stepped up the technical side of his creativeness the last year.

I want one of the first Walzer's off the production line!!!!!!!

You can't paddle in to a double, but if you get towed in, the rides are crazy fast on a wakesurfer.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
His incredibly sick switch 360 shuv-it to barrel is what won it. But that was childfs play compared to the free skimming sessions at Solmar-Like the 10 foot 180 airdrop(to switch) on one of the heaviest skimwaves in the world.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
Good points by Sean and Jeff, I am still very new, 1 year riding and not behind a good wake (DD Malibu w/wedge) so what I have rode behind might not be the best for certain boards.

I am still new and so far my favorite board is my liquid force 5.0. The coex is too small and fast for me. The phase 5, but too me it didn't track very well (neither does the coex) But those are the boards I've ridden. My statement comes from friends and trustworthy reputable dealers that have given me advice on what direction to take trying to learn to wakesurf by myself w/no one in my area to help or coach.

My learning has come directly from watching videos on this site or wakepics, talking w/people from this board or TMC and getting advice from the dealer mentioned above.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Thanks Brandon, see IMO, your qualifications are very helpful. No disrespect to Sean, but the majority of riders aren't at his caliber of riding. So he may come in saying...oh...I dunno: WALZERS are the best! :-) But while that may be true, the Coex might be a better choice for a particular individual. Someone who has the same riding experience, same boat or wave shape can then determine for themselves which board most closely fits their situation.

I would ONLY discount one comment Brandon. In my experience, dealers know little about what is out there. They, will of course, want to sell what they have. HP LF CWB have the distribution channels to get their products INTO the market place, but having a distribution channel does not equate with having a quality product.

Your opinion of the Phase 5 was also very helpful, in your opinion, based upon the stated variables, you found it didn't track well. I would bet most individuals in your circumstance would say the same thing.

I REALLY would encourage folks to state their opinions, but do so after qualifying your experience and environment. In that way, folks can match their situation to the opinion.
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       05-25-2006, 10:57 PM Reply   
thanks for all your input, im going to talk to some friends who ride and try a demo with theirs. keep up the great tips jeff