Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-12-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
I have a 1994 PCM 5.8L motor with the Pro Tec electronic ignition (i.e no points or rotor) and carb. The motor has always run great, but the boat didn't get used this season and now it won't start. It cranks fine, but I'm only getting spark at 2 cylinders. Checked the wires, all visible connections, and battery condition. All seem fine. The coil modules look fine as well (no rust or cracks anywhere). Does anyone know more about this ignition system or experienced similar symptoms. I found a kit that replaces the Pro Tec with a normal distributor setup, but I'd rather not spend the money if this is just a bad connection some where. Any and all help is much appreciated. Adam

(Message edited by highdyner on November 12, 2006)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-12-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
Keep the Pro-Tec is works very well.

I tend to work from a different direction than most and go straight for a labscope, to test inputs and outputs. Current ramping the coils will tell what is going on.

So the simple test at home...take a spark plug out and ground it connected to a wire. Crank the motor over and see if it has spark. Then move to another coil, be it the positive or negative side. Try swapping the coils around and see what happens, of course that is if they are 4 coil packs as I can not remember, it has been years since I have seen that system.

It is common for the wires to short out. A spark sent the wrong direction can take out the module.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-12-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
I had the same problem and no one could figure it out. I would suggest calling the guys at skidim.com. They know more about this engine and specifically the Pro Tec ignition than anyone will. Their webpage is http://www.skidim.com/ and their phone number is 803-345-0996.

Good luck
Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-13-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Thanks for that, what was your ultimate solution? Replacing the ignition module or going to a regular distributor setup?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-13-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
i had the exact same problem too... mine happened to be the small harness coming off the back of the dist. was braeking down....
Old     (highdyner)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-13-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
That would be nice, how did you end up figuring that out, just a visible inspection or something more? The contacts on mine look fine, but I couldn't figure out how to check if there was a signal there or not. Perhaps I'll take the whole small harness off tonight and look closer at how it works.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-13-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
The coil packs are expensive and hard to come by since they discontinued that system. It works really well, but if you lose a pack it can be really pricey.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-13-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
we had one with a similar problem this past summer, we ended up converting it to a different style ignition setup
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-13-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
The Pro-Tec is a better ignition system than anything else you would install. It uses a knock sensor to help control timing. The Pro-Tec ignition system WILL make more power.

Take it to a mechanic and have them fix it.

Edit: The motor will last longer since the timing will be adjusted to different octanes and temperatures, and it won't ping.

(Message edited by Peter_C on November 13, 2006)
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-15-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Peter, How do they fix the protec module? I had one in an old boat and it would short out once it warmed up. Left me stranded a few times. After diagnosis was only presented with one option and that was to replace it with the kit.