Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-09-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
has anyone ever had bad days on the water. from time to time, i will ride horribly for several days in a row, lose tricks, etc. then eventually pick up where i left off in my progression.

what are some good tips or things to keep in mind whenever you go through those phases in your riding, where you're not dropping the same hammers as usual?

yesterday and the day before that for example, i was falling on every other trick... tricks that are usually money in the bank!

anybody feel me?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I take a leave of absence and come back to it. Works every time.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-09-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
yes for sure, only my ruts sometimes last for weeks!

I just ride switch, work on style and grabs...or cry. lol

Usually though, once I come out of a rut, I progress really fast and ride better than ever, so it's kind of a good thing for me.

gotta take the bad days with the good, otherwise you wouldn't appreciate the good ones, right?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-09-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
I go through this often. I usually try to switch things up.

Change the board I am riding, or just put the wakeboard up and jump on a wakeskate.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-09-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Drain all the ballast and do the basics. Inside out 180's fs and bs switch and regular. Some ollie 3's and bs 180's switch and regular. It makes you way more consistent. If you take a few sets with out jumping the wake it puts a lot of things into perspective. Adam Fields taught me that.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-09-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
yep, I usually try a new board, esspecially one I think I won't like as that usually means its totally different from my current set up.
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-09-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
I do this all the time.

What I do, is switch it up. Work on the basics, ride switch, or try and take a simple trick that you can nail and huck some style into it.

Then before you know it, riding like yourself again.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Hopping on the wakeskate for my next few sessions makes me feel so much better when I'm strapped in again. I also try to still skateboard and mountain board in the summer, nothing like cross training to keep up the wake skills.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-09-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Several options, here are a few of my favs:

Doubles sets - Awesome..Always
Upple Dub Sets - Nothin but Upple dubs with Grabs, nothing hard...just lots o air.

Laughter...it always works. Usually if someone is getting really mad about something I tell them that they are NOT allowed to do anything until I see their sweetest fashion air...ever!

180-sets - Only 180's every way you can with new grabs.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
i hang up the fins and roam it
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-09-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
everyone has bad days on the water. i remember last summer i rode ad for over a week straight. go out there and have fun with it.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
there is also a little thing called liquid courage...
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-09-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
lol last summer was the worst for me i didnt get to ride as often as i wanted and boom rode like crap all summer although i did have those epic sets they came far and few
definately cant wait to get back out there this summer tho
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-09-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
Kneeboard
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
sit in the bathtub and cry and then cry myself to sleep

haha, usually just taking a break helps.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-09-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
I pick up the kneeboard when I get sh*tty on a wakeboard.... some of the same ideas apply as far as edging (cannot pop w/o a perfect edge on a kneeboard) and then when I've felt gay for long enough I get back on it.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
Just keep having fun and don't get frustrated. A lot of people I have seen ride terrible when they are angry or frustrated with themself
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I just roll with it and keep riding like sit. After a couple face plants and a few f-bombs Ill usually get over it and start riding better.

Or I'll just go for a chill session on a little boat or jetski to boost my confidence. Nothing makes you feel better then doing work on a tiny wake.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-09-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
I think Jason nailed it....
I have found that when I'm uptight over something unrelated it carries over into my wakeboarding.
Baseball players, golfers, everyone deals with it.

We (local lake friends) have this thing. Thursday evenings are our best sessions, every time without fail.
Its just us, the lake is clear of other boats , day before all the weekenders come up. We all get our best tricks dialed in and kind of coach each other on the obvious stuff. Its mental!!!!!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-09-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
What do you do when you have bad years? Hahahaha I keep trying to tell people I wakeboard.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-10-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
I had a bad year... 07 sucked... 08 was awesome. It helps me to stop for the day at the first signs of bad riding. If I try to keep going with a bad session, my next session is usually bad too.
Now that was the smart way that I deal with a rut. The unsmart way and unfortunatly the more common way is yelling and throwing stuff after my set.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Unless I am reallllly close to landing a trick, if I do not land something in three tries, I move on to other tricks or get back in the boat. Thrashing yourself over and over just develops the wrong muscle memory.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-10-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
"I pick up the kneeboard when ...... and then when I've felt gay for long enough I get back on it."

JOHN!! Where are you? You see this!!??? lol!!!