Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Finally got a break from work and headed to the lake this past week just to end up tearing my left mcl and tweeked the right knee. I will know the extent of the damage once I get the MRI on Wednesday.

My question is once I get back to riding I will need a brace, is it worth the extra money do go with a custom brace?

I know that my insurance will pay 90% of the Off the Shelf but not sure if they will pay anything on a custom.
Old     (nschimm)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-20-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
I would push for it if I were you. I think they will cover it because they wont want you to injure it again.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-21-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
There are a couple of good threads about this. The bottomline is get one that fits you best. I have an off the shelf asterick as well as an older off the shelf CTi Edge and both do just fine for me.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-21-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I got the Custom CTi Vapor. It is SO awesome, fits perfect, light weight and it is really cool how they make it. I'd see if your insurance will cover it, well worth it
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
I just got my CTi Custom and I love it too! I love the support that it gives. Insurance covered mine.
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
Also, I got the upper part of my knee brace flared so that it wouldn't bring on any quad muscle irritation/squeeze while riding
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-21-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
If you can get a custom one made, do it. The off the shelf ones are ok, but personally I'd rather have something that was made for me so I know it's exactly what I need and not something that's only going to complicate my knee problems.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have a cti morph that sits in the boat since I started using the asterisk brace. lacing on the asterisk holds the brace in place better. The velcro comes apart on mine.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-21-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
If you take two regular neoprene knee braces and stretch them over the carbon brace, both top and bottom, the velcro will not come undone when you hit the water. ;)
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
your ins should pay 90% no matter what. It is all listed under Durable Medical Equipment. I would go with what ever is the best. You are going to have to pay your deductible no matter what. Also, if you give the rep a finacial hard luck story, they can usually waive that 10% you are suppose to pay. Good luck man.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-22-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is a sport that takes a heavy toll on your body. There are a lot of unnatural forces and wear-and-tear that your body (specifically your knee) was not designed to absorb. A brace is going to act as an exoskeletal support to help absorb and redistribute these unnatural forces. The more intimate and better the fit, the more likely the brace is to stay in position and function properly. So, I always try to encourage people to get a custom... if they can. That is what I put all our professional athletes in... custom CTi's. The CTi OTS (off-the-shelf) is a great brace (better than most company's custom braces), but it is not the same as having a custom. Custom CTi's are made specifically to your leg - we take 23 measurements - to make sure we get your exact contours and the correct femur/tibial alignment. It can be shortened or lengthened depending on your height and weight, with a bunch of other modifications that can be made depending on your anatomy. It is a truly custom brace.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
i dont wear a brace. but my dad has the off the shelf one and absolutly loves it. they told him that if he gains or loses weight, or gains or loses muscle then the custom wont fit. they recomended the off the shelf. they said it is more adjustable
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-22-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
I know my insurance (Kaiser) wouldn't pay any portion of a custom knee brace after my husband's knee surgery last year. They said the options are either a knee brace after injury.. OR surgery.. not both. :-(
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
See what your coverage is on DME that will tell you how much they will cover
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-22-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
David - OTS braces are definitely more adjustable in fit. They have to be to fit such a wide variety of people. A guy that is 5'5" with stocky knees might wear a size medium... the same size medium that fits a guy that is 6'2" and is kind of skinny. Way different body types with often different needs. The braces just aren't going to have the same intimate streamlined fit of a custom. That is one of the huge benefits of a custom. They are streamlined to fit your exact contours and needs.
As for gaining weight - custom CTi braces have a one year fit guarantee. Usually, if we do make adjustments in the first year it is do more to swelling or muscle atrophy than actual weight gain or loss. The most critical area for brace fit is in the width/or circumference of the knee joint, a place that usually doesn't fluctuate to much even with weight gain. Thighs will fluctuate a little bit (especially on women), but not to the point where I would stray away from a encouraging a custom.
Old     (brett_cti_knee_braces)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-22-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Elizabeth - I haven't heard that before? Typically, docs will prescribe a ligament brace post-operatively to protect the investment of the procedure they just performed. They often encourage patients to use it during rehab, and then slowly ween them off of it, EXCEPT for when they are doing activities which are high risk for re-injury.... like wakeboarding.
Old     (era3)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. And thanks Brett for chiming in, its nice to have you on the boards.

I talked with the Orthotics department at TOC and then talked with BCBS about what they will cover. I was told by BCBS that the custom brace would be covered but TOC told me if the doctor puts on the prescription that it is for being able to participate in a sport such as wakeboarding or motocross they would not cover it. I just have to talk to the doctor and ask him to put for rehabilitation.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Brett - I had never heard that either. I don't know if it's Kaiser specific or just an Ortho that said that because he personally doesn't believe in braces.

I know Anthony had a CTI brace before his injury and loved it. (Until it sunk in the Delta)