Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-10-2018, 5:26 PM Reply   
I'm hopefully moving near Lake Norman in NC later this year. I'll be using one of the two boatels there:
- Westport : http://www.boatwestportmarina.com/bo...e/dry-storage/
or
- Kings Point : https://www.morningstarmarinas.com/l...s-kings-point/

Any advice on which is better, for any reasons? Westport is looking better to me because they have much longer summer hours (8am - 8pm). Kings Point apparently only has forklift service from 9-5, which seems pretty bad.

Thanks!
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       06-11-2018, 7:46 AM Reply   
I haven't used either but I have heard good things about both. You are looking at Marinas on opposite sides of the lake, Which one will be more convenient for you? Also, look at Holiday marina, which is just north of kings point. I kept my boat there for a few years and it was great. I will say the east side of the lake where Holiday and KP are is much busier and the traffic will be worse, but if that's closer to your house then its a no brainer. Coming from the city westport might be a better option, good luck!
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-11-2018, 3:23 PM Reply   
Oh, I didn't even realize that Holiday had a boatel. Thanks for that info.

I'm not sure yet which side I'll be on - the best marina would be a factor in that choice. I do like the idea of west side being less busy. I'm gonna check them all out in about a month when I go down there.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       06-12-2018, 7:53 AM Reply   
There are actually many more Marina's with various storage options on LKN. The three mentioned are all on the southern part of the lake and more accessible from CLT. Happy to help if you have more questions!
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-12-2018, 8:26 AM Reply   
I think the southern end is better for me to be closer to Charlotte, but are there any other "boatel" marinas besides Westport, Holiday, and Kings Point?

And any suggestions on which of the boatels are closest to the best wakeboarding water? It sounds like weekend afternoons are bad all over, so my plans are weekday evenings and maybe weekend mornings. I'm taking a trip there in a few weeks to check it out in person.

Thanks for all the info - I want to know everything about the lake and surrounding area.

Speaking of which, has anybody encountered the freshwater jellyfish there (http://www.charlottestories.com/jell...orman-video/)? Turns out they're in just about every state (http://freshwaterjellyfish.org/location/), but I'd really like to avoid them. No matter how small, I hate jellyfish.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       06-18-2018, 8:20 AM Reply   
The three you mention above are probably the closest to CLT and the southern part of the lake. The proximity makes that also the busiest part as well. You will be able to find good water on weekdays and before noon on the weekends but it will be busy most weekends between memorial day and labor day. There are a bunch more marina's on the lake with dry storage but those would be further north. See if the link below works.
https://www.google.com/search?client...8!2i337!4f13.1

Start by calling them all, when I was looking I had to sit on a waiting list to get into Holiday so that may determine where you end up too. Good luck

BTW, I have never heard anything about jelly fish in the lake. I am much more concerned about jetskiers and the lake monster so keep your head on a swivel!

Last edited by jcon44; 06-18-2018 at 8:22 AM. Reason: grammer
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-26-2018, 5:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for that info, jcon. Based on that, I checked with a bunch more of them at the northern end. I'm not sure if any would work for me, but I'm glad I know about them now.

Is the northern part of the lake so much better that you can get calm water on weekend afternoons?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2018, 5:46 AM Reply   
I thought your where full of crap about the fresh water Jelly fish unit I read the article. LOL

My uneducated IN-LAWS used to refuse to get in one of my local lake because they said there where Snake Head Fish in it.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-26-2018, 5:58 AM Reply   
Hah! There are some snake-heads in the Potomac, and I even saw someone catch one at the marina where I keep my boat. But I never encountered one on the water, and don't give that a second thought.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       06-26-2018, 6:49 AM Reply   
You should be able to find some decent water up north just about any day. I don't wakeboard anymore so my search for glass is over but I did head up that way in the past to get away from the crowds. Get out on weekdays or early and you are good on most weekends, holidays excluded. Good luck with the search and move!
BTW, if you need a realtor, hit me up my wife is in the business.

Last edited by jcon44; 06-26-2018 at 6:51 AM. Reason: grammer