Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Yankees39)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-24-2017, 12:55 PM Reply   
I currently have a 1999 Tige 21V. I fill 400# sacs in the back lockers and a 350 in the Bow. The wakeboarding wake is nice and fun but not something to write home about. I ride around 20mph and am a fairly basic rider with my skill set (wake to wake 180's, goofy and regular Wake to Wake jumps with board grabs of course).

I am by no means a pro or believe I will ever get there . I used to play professional baseball and just started wakeboarding a few yrs ago. I know what it takes to get really good at a skill and I don't have that Time and enough crazy left in me to keep eating it to learn the harder tricks wakeboarding . We wakeboard 98% of the time

With saying that I have ridden behind a good friends Malibu 24MXZ and even though I am not a pro I really enjoy how big and Poppy his wake is compared to my 18 yr old Tige. But there is a big difference in price point of the two wakes My boat $12K his $120k.

I have 4 little ones (7, 5, 3,and 1) the two older ones are boys and already wakeboarding and jumping both HS and TS and they all love the boat but a $120k boat is not in the budget. Nor is a $50k boat.

That is the point of this post, at what price point do you have to be at to get somewhere close to the wake of a Malibu 24MXZ or something similar and poppy in another brand. I understand that this is a very opinionated and loaded question and am not really focusing on a certain brand. Just more a general idea

I see 2006 -2010 Malibu's, Moomba's, Tige, Master Crafts, etc.. in the $30k - $40k range and wonder how much bigger will the Wakeboard wakes be on those boats than my 1999 Tige 21V?

I have another friend I ride with every week who just bought a 2000 Malibu 23 LSV (it has the diamond hull so not the best hull for wakeboarding) and we weight it down with 750's in the rear and 1000#'s in the bow and his wake is just a touch bigger than my Tige but not something I would sell my boat for and spend $25k to get into.

I'm at the point where I would like to do a few things to my boat or upgrade but I am concerned that upgrading to a $30k boat will leave me saying "this wake isn't all that much better than what i have.

Sorry for the drawn out write up but i haven't had that many chances to be on other boats and see what other wakes are other than the really new 24 MXZ or the 2000 Malibu.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (Mikesman)      Join Date: Oct 2015       07-24-2017, 1:19 PM Reply   
I feel your pain... I played baseball all through college and I didn't start wakeboarding until my late 20's. I have a lot of fun doing it, but I am not, nor will I ever be, very good. But I still want a boat that has a good wake that I can have fun on and not feel like I need to hit it super hard to get good air for tricks.

Luckily, you do have some options. Every boat maker, every different model, and every different generation of that model will have different wake characteristics. You just have to find one that you like. There are older boats out there that throw a killer wake when set up properly that you can get a good deal on. Chances are there are a few options, so you can also narrow it down by some of the other features the boats have, not just their wake.

The only way to know for sure is to test ride it yourself, but hopefully people on here can give you some suggestions to narrow it down.

What about the MXZ wake, besides size, did you like? then try to find that in another boat.

I really like the the Supra 21V from mid 2000's, it steep, gives you lots of vertical pop and it doesn't take a ton of ballast to get it there.

I am sure someone who has ridden behind a lot of boats can give you direction...then go ride it!
Old     (Yankees39)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-24-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
I do like the MXZ wake obviously it has a lot of bells and whistles and he can change the ramp of the wake steeper or more mellow on his touch screen. I believe I am describing it right that when I load up my Tige with ballast and people it seems to be a steeper wake than my friends 2000 Malibu LSV. Which i think i enjoy the steepness of my wake.

On the MXZ when he sets it to have a little more lip (I believe that is making it steeper Its the middle or fourth setting on his wake shape buttons. Sorry for not having a more technical description of his settings) That seems more fun to me because for me I like to go up not out in the flats. I'm 33 (might be young for some of yall on the forum) and have two knee surgeries and I am finding I really don't enjoy getting into the flats.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2017, 1:39 PM Reply   
malibu had several hull changes. changed in 05 and again in 08. some REALLY like that 05-08 hull.

to answer you question, NO you do not have to spend $120k to get a better wake.

wake "settings" are just an adjustable trim tab or 2. once you settle on a boat, you can weight it rear heavy to give you more vertical pop. test drive some boats. take a sac with you and weight it down and ride it. only way to know.

Last edited by denverd1; 07-24-2017 at 1:42 PM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2017, 1:50 PM Reply   
I have a 06 Supra 24v which is the same hull and boat just different stickers then the Supra 24ssv. I load it down with 3300 pounds of hidden water ballast. Then 600 pounds of lead 200 are 4 leadwake bags I just throw in the nose on top of the sunpad just when I'm going to wake board. I keep them in the back any other time I'm in the boat. I would say put out something like your friends 24mxz maybe alittle bigger than the MXZ if he is just running stock ballast.

Price point for my boat should be low to mid 30's or I wouldn't let it go for any less than mid 30's
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-24-2017, 1:57 PM Reply   
I will just throw my two cents into this. I brought up on 05 supra 24 launch, Not bad boat. I also go behind a Moomba, and a ski natuqiue. Hands down the best wake I have wake boarded behind is 2004 Malibu vlx. Perfect size fast, and with the wedge and little weight its a steep wake. We wake board behind it and love it. You can get one in the 28-35k ball park. My buddy who does flips, tantrums, 360s all that, he will choose to ride behind that boat vs his families supra 24 launch. The wake is the best behind that, its not bad for surfing either, only down side is if you have family with friends, it only holds 11 people. A great boat and easy on the gas.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-24-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
Since you are looking for a steeper wake that boots you up, check out a 2007+ Nautique SANTE. You may have to bump your speed up to 22-24mph for a clean wake though. Ask your knees first.=)
Sample below
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...223135682.html
The nice thing about the Malibu is a clean wake at lower speeds but will be mor rampy.

Last edited by rexlex01; 07-24-2017 at 2:14 PM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-24-2017, 3:09 PM Reply   
First, a 1999 21V is not holding any of your progression back one bit. I learned all of my 360s and my first 10 inverts at 19mph splitting time between a outboard Bayliner and sport nautique. I could land a whirlybird before I ever road a boat with sacs in it.

Actually, with your young guys, it is probably good that they are learning their basics on a smaller wake with a lower speed. If I had to learn my fundamentals at 23mph, on a 75ft line hitting a huge wake--I would have never made it. I could make a good case that bigger wakes and higher speeds have created a barrier to progression and are scarring young people toward the safety of wake surfing.

You will always have more fun in a boat that you can afford. Give it time, save some dough. When your kids start coming up short on 720s and mobes, then it might be time to upgrade.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-24-2017, 3:35 PM Reply   
So I haven't posted forever, but I have a 2001 Tige 21V - owned it since new and I know this boat very well- it's the same hull as the 1999. The best wakeboard wake is established with 500 LBS in each of the rear lockers and 600-700 in the walk way. Go a little faster- TAPS at 4. I see the wake really come into its own at 22-23 MPH. I run with guys that own brand new Bu's/ Nautiques, MC's and no one is too critical on the wake. Are there bigger wakes? Oh yeah! But I land huge backrolls and get a lot of air. just go have fun.The wake is PLENTY big for your young ones.

Last edited by will5150; 07-24-2017 at 3:37 PM.
Old     (Yankees39)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-24-2017, 4:40 PM Reply   
@ Will5150 and Skiboarder y'all are exactly right it's not the arrow it is the Indian. I have seen plenty of guys hit baseballs out of this world with old crappy bats and others not be able to get the ball out of the infield with the best bats money can buy.

I also agree that for everyone outside of me and the guy I wakeboard with every week any bigger wake than what my empty 21V puts out is more than They need or want and even my buddy and I that ride we can learn any trick we want off of this wake.

I'm not in the market for a new boat (wife would kill me if she read this post and thought I was thinking about swapping out boats). Mines paid for and parked in my garage so we are setup nicely not having any payments or storage costs hanging over our heads.

But I installed a perfect pass (wife argued on that one as well tell she drove it for the first time after installed and then completely understood why I did it) and am thinking about plumbing the bags in myself and was just curious what I might have to step to to go to the next level wake wise if I did upgrade. Then weigh the pros and cons of have a boat payment but I little bigger boat and wake or put a few thousand into mine and ride it for next foreseeable future or like skiboarder said go till the boys can't land their 720s and then upgrade (right now there obsession is between wakeboarding and baseball guess it runs in the family)

Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely need to get a little more social down here in Houston and grab some pills behind other guys boats.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-25-2017, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees39 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely need to get a little more social down here in Houston and grab some pills behind other guys boats.
Definitely do this. It will open your eyes (and wallet). It sounds like with the size of your family you are going to need a bigger boat regardless.

Last edited by dezul; 07-25-2017 at 5:38 AM. Reason: .