Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-22-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
I just wanted to give props out to Brent and Noah at So. Cal Wakeboard Instruction.
My wife and I were looking to solidify our fundamentals a bit, and after just a couple of hours, I feel much better about our riding. I have not had this much confidence in my ability ever, and I look forward to a summer of progression. big thanks to Brent and Noah. I hope to ride with them again in the future.
if you live in the so cal area, and are having thoughts about taking some lessons, I highly recommend www.socalwakeboardinstruction.com. great boat, gear, water, everything was top notch.
thanks guys!

Thomas & Dawn
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-22-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
Both are great guys...I have also taken lessons from them and felt better about my riding afterwards.

Mikel
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-22-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Just curious but how did they help you progress--drills, technical suggestions on current riding, new tricks? Just wondering because I have taken a few lessons and they have ranged from someone driving the boat and just letting you ride without commenting much to slightly more instruction but nothing I have felt progressed me much. Also, do you take on-going lessons or one every once in awhile? I have heard Brent was a good instructor and wanted to find out more info! Thx!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-22-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Tracy,
this was our first lesson.
with my wife, it was more the confidence thing with her. he was going over body position, edging techniques, etc. she has the body positioning down, so he focused on her edging techniques. did some outside the wake edging drills. I think this is going to help her go wake to wake finally.
with me, he was helping me with my edging. I used to feel like I needed to charge the wake full on, to do anything, trick wise. he had me slow my edging down a ton, and made me realize it was easier to land tricks going up, rather than out. once I had that dialed, he had me working on grabs. ts and hs. he wants me to throw a grab in, with every wake jump now.
I am hoping to take another lesson in the fall with him again. see how much I progressed, and go from there.
I had other tricks: backroll, the normal 180's, but they always seemed like I was hucking the trick. he helped me to smooth out my riding a bit.
I hope that helps answer your questions.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-22-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Thomas--thanks for the info--sounds like it really helped. I am looking for something like that to smooth out some tricks, make sure I am doing them correctly and learn some new ones. I am kind of afraid to try a backroll or 360 without learning it from someone else since no one I ride with can do them...How long was the lesson you took? Did he just take you and your wife out of was it several other students also? Sounds like it was a good confidence builder!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-22-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
it was just the two of us. we spent about 2 1/2 hours on the water. there was some down time, while other riders rode the backwater at Canyon. but we talked mechanics for most of the downtime. it felt more like a lesiurely day on the lake with a couple of buddies, rather than a lesson. I have been hucking a backroll for a few years now, and am not going to do it again, until I have both my hs and ts threes down. I would highly recommend him. good luck with whatever decision you make.
Thomas
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
Tracy...I have been taking lessons from Brent for 2 summers now. He has taken me so far in my riding. I could only cross the wake when I started with him. I can now go w2w, do all my one wake 180's and I am working on my toeside w2w and HS w2w 180. But to me riding is not only the "tricks" I can do. He has build my confidence, does drills with me, talks me throught things and most important in patient and a lot of fun to be with. He is generous with your set times and lets you take as much time riding as you want. Noah is an awesome driver and helps me with tips too. They love the sport, are both awesome riders, and just good people. I cannot say enough about Brent. I saw Brent work with Erica Burke last summer and she grabbed women's first place at national's. He takes people of all ages and is kind and patient at whatever level you are at.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       05-23-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
I called Brent this morning and set up a few hours worth of private lessons in early June. Can't wait. The posts here really sold me on this place. Thanks!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-23-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
sweet! maybe that means we get some freebie lessons now!
but in all seriousness, I am pretty certain you wont be dissapointed. good luck.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
Dave...you won't be disappointed.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-23-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Brent and Noah are awesome! They took me out today and I had a blast. They are so laid back and chill and have great advice for noobs like me!! Plus the back water at Canyon is amazing.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
The backwater sucks. Always choppy, turns from brown to green, think I had to ollie a floating dead body last weekend...
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
Tackle...you are home!!! How was the trip?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
I also want to give props to Brent. I was struggling with my hs w2w. I could do it, but it was painful. I can now land my hs w2w with ease, I can butterslide. I gained more overall confidence on the water. I am riding switch, attempting ts w2w and ollies now. I can't wait till I get my next lesson from Brent.

Very nice guy.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Trip was good, Mike said hi, looking forward to our week.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-25-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
sounds like it's time to call Brent--I had e-mailed him a couple of months ago but was waiting to get back into riding again before I spent the money on lessons...thanks for all the info!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Tracy...I had the most stoked lesson yesterday. I have not tried my w2w 180 until yesterday and I almost got it in one set. I was so excited. And Brent and Noah were so excited for me. It was the best. That is great you decided to call him. You will learn so much and have so much fun.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-27-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
stoked!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-30-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Just a few things you will experience when you go for a lesson with them.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-30-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
oh my gosh.....how true!!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
I landed my HS w2w 180!!!!!! Thanks Brent and Noah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Huge thanks to everyone who posted here and the recommendation of Brent and Noah. Spent a little over an hour with them on Friday morning. Great conditions, great boat/wake, great instruction. Worked on the basics quite a bit. Got my heelside w2w jumps down pretty good...added some grabs. Toeside is still a battle and very frustrating. I plan on going back in a month for another lesson.

Funniest thing was pulling up in my car and I knew I was in the right place when I saw their Boxer sitting in the boat ready to go!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-12-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
That is so awesome pretty funny when you recognize the dog first so glad you got out there with them. Brent & Noah are the best. I get back to my routine tomorrow with them. Going out for 2 sets in the am, lunch, then 1 more in the afternoon if I can make it. I just got back from west coast camps and my body is still a little spent and the blisters are still healing (check out the pics on "more props to west coast camps") Anyway, hope to meet you out there with them soon.
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Speaking of being a little spent...this old body isn't used to being drug around for an hour. I'm usually stuck behind the wheel driving the groms around who never get tired.

I was hurting all weekend.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-12-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
you're still young!! I was doing 3 sets a day at camp and I will be 52 tomorrow!! But I hear what you are saying about the groms. Cooper and Tank never got tired at camp. Hope you are feeling better so you can get out there and do it again
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-14-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Went out with Brent and Noah yesterday, GREAT TIME. They cater to your needs. I'm 36 and started boarding last year. My skill level varied. At times I could huck a backroll, 360, etc. some ended better than others if you know what I mean. I never could tell what I was doing right or wrong, therefore, never really progressed. Brent and crew immediatley identified some basic fundamentals and had me doing smoother consistant HS W2W with grabs (can't remember all the crazy names of the grabs). Bottom line is I now have a good foundation to build on instead of just HUCKING everything. Thanks Brent, Noah and crew. Great Fathers day gift!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-14-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Al..glad you had a good time. I just missed you for the afternoon set. Have a great vacation.