Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2005, 3:28 AM Reply   
Well, the damn river did it again. This time instead of replacing the prop and rudder, I need to do some hull repair. I found a site with some info on how to patch (http://capndsboatshed.com/hullrepair.htm) and I was wondering if anyone had ever attempted a fix. Luckly, when we hit we were barely moving forward, so the extent of the damage is minimal...just some chips in the gellcoat/paint, and one spot where the fiberglass is exposed. Nothing structural (ie, no holes through the hull) just cosmetic stuff. The spot to repair is in the front of the V, the first point which would hit something underwater...dead center in the spine. Any pointers would be appreciated.
thanks,
w
Old    tribal            09-29-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
Fiberglassing is really pretty simple,just takes some time.
A good trick with fiberglass is to cut your excess off when it is only half dry to save on sanding.Remember the appling is easy,it's the sanding that's all the work so the better you do at the applying the less work in the long run.
Any specific questions feel free to ask.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-29-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
gelcoat and fiberglass repair is usually surprisingly inexpensive. rather than trying to learn the process on your boat, i suggest getting a recommendation for a good `glass shop in your area and having them bid it. build a speaker box or something if you want to learn to `glass.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
This year my daughter and her husband bought an older Ski Nautique that had some typical dock rash. I went to Spectra and bought the small gelcoat repair kits in the two colors that we needed. I read the instructions on their web site and gave it a try. Not trying to brag, but it turned out really well and was much easier than I expected. Especially since you are working on the underside which isn't as noticeable, I say give it a try. You can't mess it up that bad.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-29-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
that's true, just patching some missing gel is quite easy to do, especially on neutral colors which hull bottoms usually are.

if, OTOH, there are spider cracks around the damage or the hull is indented, i would take it to a reputable `glass shop.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
I don't see any spider cracks...just looks like the rocks tore some chunks of gel coat/paint. The fibers on the exposed 'glass haven't been lifted and feel smooth (as smooth as fiber can feel)...so I think I'll be good w/ just the gelcoat repair.
Old    tribal            09-29-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
It really isn't that hard
Old    fiberglassman            09-29-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
When your done and you have really screwed it up bring it by my shop.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-30-2005, 3:35 AM Reply   
glassman, I wish you the best in running your business. I believe that you are very good at what you do...I've seen the pics on your website...and I will be sure to recommend your services to anyone who needs hull repair done in your area.
Yeah, I MIGHT F' it up, and I MIGHT have to take it to a professional, but the topic here is "boat hull repair questions" not "looking for a shop to do fiberglass repair".
sean, paul, trace...thanks for the input.
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
Try a product called Marine Tex. (www.marinetex.com) For minor cosmetic dings on the keel it works very well and it is inexpensive. If you want perfect good as new...go to a professional.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2005, 7:53 AM Reply   
Funny &h1+, he's going to bring his boat to AZ from Va for someone to fix his gelcoat/minor glass problem?? What are people thinking? Wade if you really screw it up all you have to do is grind it back down to where you started from and take it to a shop but -nothing ventured nothing gained, youll never know till you try, He who never undertook anything never achieved anything, Sweat is the cologne of accomplishment, This ones Einsteins "The bitter and the sweet come from the outside, the hard from within, from one's own efforts", Man can learn nothing except by going from the known to the unknown, A caterpillar who seeks to know himself would never become a butterfly, Eighty percent of success is showing up, There is no comparison between that which is lost by not succeeding, and that which is lost by not trying, A minute's success pays for the failure of years, One never rises so high as when one does not know where one is going, He is only exempt from failures who makes no effort, The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity, If you play it safe in life, you've decided that you don't want to grow anymore. Well yea im bored, should be working but "Its a monday"
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-04-2005, 5:42 AM Reply   
Well...it turned out OK. I patched the fiberglass with some epoxy of some sort (I'm @ work now, don't have the product in front of me) then finished the whole thing with a gel-coat repair kit from west marine. The whole thing went pretty smoothly. Since it was my first time, there was a fair amount of sanding involved to smooth it out nice...the color matching is a bit off as well...but hey, my boat is now patched for the small cost of $30 in parts and a day of labor (when I was waiting for the STUPID marlo delivery people). So yes, it looks like it's been patched by an amateur, but it's patched and solid...plus I still have money in my pocket...for the next repair (whatever it may be) :-).
For those of you who might be trying this I second what topsidemarine said...if you want to repair and be back on the water quick, do it yourself...if you want a professional job, take it to AZ and see fiberglassman, the self proclaimed king of glassing.
Old    tribal            10-04-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
Bob Thanks for the insight

Wade Right on Now you know the joy of doing it yourself and like you say if you want to get it done that's the only way [especially if you live way out in the boonies like me]