Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-26-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
So I got to ride a 2010 Ronix Ibex recently, The smooth feeling of the board has me completely sold. To me it feels loose when flat (which i liked) and doesnt push the rider around, Put it on edge... and it locks in... seems like the best of both worlds. Plus it doesnt feel like its glued to the water... feels very lively

So my question is... what other boards handle like this?? Is it mainly cause of the variable rails?? any other brands use that rail design??
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
The Lyman rides pretty loose, but also edges hard and is a fast board. It's pop is a bit different from the Ibex.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
there are boards for every brand that use the variable rail design. it helps make edge transitions smoother and also helps protect the boards edges from dinging on sliders.
i have not rode many boards, but i can make a few suggestions based on knowing the features. the obrien decade and the new cwb faction have some very noticeable variable edges. the faction is quite smooth on the bottom but is continuous rocker whereas the ibex is 3 stage. the decade is 3 stage and quite simple on the bottom features apart from the delta base which is supposed to make the board ride faster only.

slingshot recoil might be something to try. it is 3 stage and is COMPLETELY simple on the bottom features. it will however have much more flex to it which i personally find great, but for you...? they don't have variable edges out of the box but the rails are shape-able with sandpaper. the flex of the board i feel adds to the forgiveness of the clean bottom.

this is by no means an exhaustive list. and of course it is all subjective in the end which can be frustrating, but very FUN... fun to experience new boards that is and find what you like by experience
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-28-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
well I pulled the trigger on a 2009 lyman... I'll give a report when it shows... I just know I dont care for my gator militant after riding the ibex
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Did you get the 138 or the 142 Bryce?
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-28-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
its 143.. The "reccomended" weight range for the 139 was 90lbs to 170 lbs... I'm over that!! so i'm trying a bigger board
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-28-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
You won't regret it. I love my 42'