Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (wakestar517)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
I have been riding a parks for about two years now and I do like it but I want to try something new so I am open to segestions. I like to ride fast and i also like to land out in the flats but my parks is not forgiving at all so you almost have to land perfect or you go down. I was thinking about the transend or the mareous but am not set on them and also what are some good bindings from CWB there are not many dealers from around here so I realy don't know much about them any info would be great.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-17-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Dude u came to the right place u should have about fifteen CWB posts in the next twenty minutes or so. BCP MIKE
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-17-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Get a marius with zues bindings, great set-up and very forgiving!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-17-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
Matt if you like a faster board with soft landings then look at the 06 CWB Pure or flame, they are both faster CWB boards with soft landings.
As far as CWB bindings go, Look at the Zeus the Faction or the Torq, Zeus being there best binding then the faction then the torq.
Hope this helps best of luck on your search.
If you get a Trascend get an 07, they are faster then previous year Transcends.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
Yah, if you like fast boards you should give the Pure a try. I'd say that or the Marius. I've got a Pure with Zeus' and love the setup. If you don't like the hinge idea, then try the Fuses.

Mike, that's only 3 replies in 20 minutes. You're slippin'.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-17-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Yes, I am shocked not more cwb lovers aren't responding, maybe the product pusher thread is holding you guys down.
Old    walt            08-17-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
Mike,
Do You have some input on a board to help Matt out or is running around talking crap about other people and the products they like the extent of your contributions.

If You don't like CWB or what ever other product why don't You suggest what you like to people and try to be helpful.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-17-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
check out the 2007 Transcend...I rode it today and was very impressed!! It is a lot faster than last years model, very easy to take out in the flats or wake to wake. I had a blast---will be my next board when the platinums come out!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
Hey guys the Transcend is definitely a sweet ride check out the "Anyone rode the 07 Transcend" Zane schwenk even comments on the board..Just have to demo different boards to see what you like.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-17-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
Walt, you are killing me, that was classic! I couldn't agree with you more!

As far as CWB boards go, Demo if you can. You may find out that fast is less important than say, Pop, tracking, feel, etc. One all-around champion board is the Absolute Platinum.

As far as CWB bindings go, again, Demo if you can. I think that the Zeus w/ Hinge tech are by far the best bindings I have ever put on my feet since I started wakeboardin a LONG time ago, but that's just my opinion.

Matt, take it from a guy who used to laugh at CWB products because he didn't know any better, their products rule! I wish I wasn't so closed-minded all those years I was riding Hyperlite and Liquid Force, I probably would be a much better rider!
Old     (wakestar517)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. Duffy the problem with demoing different boards is there arn't any CWB dealers close to here so I will probably have to just order on off the net and hope for the best none of the people I ride with have a cwb and I don't even know anyone around here that rides one around here. We all ride hyperlite because thats what is pushed around the area but I think it is time for something new
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-17-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
The Marius is not really a fast board for taking to the flats, it's more for W2W riding, lots of vertical pop. The Absolute may be your best pick, it has great pop, is pretty fast (the 06 is better than the 05, and the 07 should be better than the 06), and lands really soft. It is really predictable and forgiving.

Sucks when you can't demo. Are there any other boards that you have rode in the past (doesn't matter what brand)and really liked? If so, let the group know, it will help everyone match a board for you.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
Matt, it sucks you can't demo, but I think a lot of us are in the same boat on that one...
Going back to what Mike said, I agree, I think there are some biased opinions and inaccurate descriptions of board characteristics from all the brands.

Here's my opinion on the boards being discussed... I still ride an 04 Parks every day and probably won't switch till I break it.

I owned an 04 Absolute Platinum for one season and sold it on ebay because the landings were the hardest I've ever experienced. That shape is still sold as the Flame or Pure as mentioned above, not sure if they made any changes to it, but it does land hard if they didn't change the mold at all. That being said, it pops good and is a much faster board than the new absolute.

My best friend bought an 06 Absolute online this summer and he too just sold his on ebay. I rode it several times and it does land very soft. It also pops good, but it is a very slow board, probably the slowest I've ever been on.

So what should you buy? Good question... I've never ridden a Transcend, but CWBs newer molds are pretty much all soft landing boards, so if it's faster than the Absolute and Marius, I'd reccomend that if you're set on CWB. Other boards you might want to consider are the LF PS3 and the LF Watson. I haven't ridden either, but I've heard good things about both. One other option might be to wait and see what Ronix comes out with. Good luck man.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
Is that what Mike said?

To each there own. But there's a reason why the number one suggested boards are now CWB instead of Hyperlite. People switched as CWB developed molds that are lighter, ride better, and have better local support.

I'm not saying this because I'm biased. I purchased my first 03 Plat Absolute in late 02 for more than $400.00. It wasn't just handed to me.

You're one of the few people that likes the parks board, and you're one of the few people that thinks the older Absolute shapes land hard.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-18-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
If you read my post on the other thread that is now gone that is what I said. And for people that don't think I add anything but negativity to the board they should check out the trick tip section once in a while. As I said before I don't mind people giving opinions, it is when peoples opinions are forced down peoples throats. And as I said on the other thread that does not only happen here on wake world. It also happens at board shops as well.
For me I ride a shape board that does not exist any more an 03 premier shape. It got ran over two weeks ago by a car, instead of buying a new board I found another 03 premier for one hundred bucks on ebay. That is what works for me. And I think for most riders the parks board is the worst thing you could ride. THe reason being it is too fast and you pick up bad habits by using speed instead of edge to jump the wake. BCP Mike
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
I rode the 07 Trans last night. LOVE IT I'll say more when I get caught up this morning. But for 07 don't count out the Transend.

HI MIKE only 14 post in a day and your 3 of em'
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Yup, the '07 Transcend is the dopest board I've ever attached bindings too. The '06 was a decent board, but not for everyone. I rode it once and decided I wasn't about to trade my Pure for it. The '07 is all different. The tracking up the wake is amazing. It tracks killer, but releases well too. Something that I've rarely come across.

It's funny how different boards ride differently for different people. The Marius was/is fast for me. Way out to the flats. The Pure is a mix between that and the new Absolute. I think the Pure lands buttery soft. To me the new Absolute is slow, but has a ton of straight up pop.

Mike, I agree that the Parks isn't for everyone. I thought it was fun, but it just wasn't my style. I was a premier guy and rode it from '01 to '04 when I just couldn't get down with the new shape. If you like the Premier, then you'd love the Absolute Platinum. IMO it's does everything like the Premier, but with a ton more snap, lighter weight and a much larger pop. Sucks to be closed minded though. I let me ego get in the way and didn't try CWB for the first 5 years I was riding because I thought hyperlite was way cooler.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-18-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
i recently converted from hyprtlite to cwb...i am in love with my marius.. awesome board with soft landings...

with that being said, i still have a 05 hyp roam on hand because it is the closest ride to a snowboard and is great for surface tricks..
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-18-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
"Going back to what Mike said, I agree,"

"I think there are some biased opinions and inaccurate descriptions of board characteristics from all the brands."

Sorry I used a comma instead of a period, but I stand by my statement.

Back to the 04 Absolute shape, everyone I let ride that board felt the same way. I tried to sell it to friends before ebay. Maybe it was the platinum mold that was stiffer and made everything seem harder. Maybe they made a minor change to the mold to soften the landings, I don't know. The Parks doesn't exactly have soft landings either. I wish there was a board that could keep speed, pop, and land soft, I haven't been on one yet. You think it doesn't land hard, I think it does, difference of opinion, that I'm ok with. Another thing to consider is, are you riding wake to wake or going into the flats? I don't think you can judge how a board lands going wake to wake, take it into the flats and you'll see how it really lands. I also understand that in Cali you guys have great reps, get great local support from CWB, get to see the stuff before it comes out and everything else. And it's good you're supporting CWB if that's the case and the other companies aren't doing that. I have however seen posts of people saying things like "06 Premier lands hard and is slower than an 06 Absolute" - I have ridden both boards several times and so has my friend who rides an Absolute, it's statements like that which are inaccurate and he'd agree.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Dude, I went from the Parks to the 05' Absolute Plat and love the switch. Even though the Parks had a little more pop, I'm able to go bigger on my absolute because I'm so much more comfortable charging it on the CWB. I'm very unbiased and still ride Hype boots.

(Message edited by 99xstar on August 18, 2006)
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
I went from the parks to an absolute and love the absolute the second I got on it. I instantly was smoother and biger on the absolute and I thoght it landed a ton better. And I don't go wake to wake on just about anything. But the 07 trans lands great now and is faster then previous years.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-18-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Al, I am going for post number four, maybe you guys are converting me to CWB.
Evan my deal is I have board that works for me. To me a board is a tool that you use, it is not what makes you ride well or ride poorly. Saying that, I think some boards can lead to riders picking up bad habits. How many times have you seen a beginner on a board to fast for them. They edge out pick up a ton of speed and then go shooting accross the wake without getting any of the pop. A slower board will hopefully let the rider depend more on his/her edges and develop the ever elusive progressive edge.

Also I don't have any connection to hyperlite at all. I did some stuff for them a long time ago and they were a pain in a$$ to deal with. I would rather buy my product then deal with all the BS. So if I couldn't ride the 03 Premier anymore I might ride a CWB or a Liquad force or a Ronix. I just know I have shape that works for me. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone, and that is why I will give an opinion but I will not tell anyone that the board will work for them. BCP Mike
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-18-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I agree with you Mike and thats why I say to demo all the boards you are interested in (if you can) and see what works best for you, because we are all different and like different things about how a board rides.
If you dont have a shop to demo boards like alot of riders on here dont, then you kinda have to go by what riders on this dissution board recommend and hope it works as good for you as it does for them.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Yup, Mike I fully agree, too. There are a ton of people out there riding boards that are way over their heads. That's why I always had a hard time recomending an older Transcend. They just weren't going to help with your fundamentals. I definitely think you should find something that works for you, but I also try not to get into a rut on the same board. Switch it up. Once you have the fundamentals down it's fun to ride different boards that force you to edge differently or allow you to do things that your current ride doesn't. I'm not saying ride a different board every week, but I like jumping on a new board every year to get a little break from the same rythem.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-18-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
As a rider with intermediate skills, would I be considered one of those people riding over their heads since I ride a 2003 142 Byerly? I would like to try different boards (Premier, Absolute) but as I have posted here before, wakeboarding is really dead in my area so I would have to purchase a board before riding it. Plus I went from 185 to 162 lbs this past winter, should I also consider going to a 137?
Old     (wakestar517)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-18-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
thanks again guys there are a lot of good points on here. as far as outher boards that i have ridden to compare to are pretty much all of the current hyperlite line. I did like the byerly but it was not for me as far as the premier I don't care for it, just dosn't feel aggresive enough for me imo. IOW i want a board that has a lot of pop and I don't have to work to take it out in the flats those are the things I do like about my parks but like I said before it is unforgiving and that I don't like. I am no where near a pro rider so I don't always land just right and it would be nice to ride some of them out maybe not all but some
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
I have been riding a Absolute since it was introduced, and I will be changing to the new Transcend for the upcoming year. LOVED it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-19-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
Brandon... I just rode the 2007 Transcend today and man...it was fun! I'm loving the speed. It's super smooth and the pop is perfect. It didn't seem to slow down on the big landings.

I can't make my decision until I ride the Faction, but it's the only board so far I would trade my Flame shape for.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-20-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Matt - I know you were asking about CWB boards - but by the * IOW i want a board that has a lot of pop and I don't have to work to take it out in the flats * if you can demo O'Brien products the Natural sounds like a good fit...
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
Couldn't have said it better myself J-Rod. I rode the 142 without the fins and although it a bit loose, I still loved it. I would put the smaller fins in it if it was the least bit choppy though. I have seen the Faction, but haven't ridden it yet. Its looks cool though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
I've seen the faction graphics printed on a Flame mold.

Did you see the actual base of a finished Faction?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, saw it last week. I was told that it wasn't the total finished product, but it was reeeeal close. Looks nice. Can't wait to try it too.
Old     (wakestar517)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2006, 3:52 AM Reply   
What is the flame mold I havn't heard much about that on here? Is it supposed to be faster and have good pop as well? PLS let me know once you guys have ridden it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-21-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
I have been riding the flame hape for years. Fast speed for big rocker board. It does everything well.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
My local board shop is out of the 06 Flame... anyone want to sell me theirs???
Old    walt            08-21-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Attila,

I have a 06 Flame for sale but someone is going to look at it tonight. If they don't buy it I'll let You know.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Sweet, I am dying to strap my spanking new Zues'es to something other than my TRIP!!!

... I am also considering the Marius and Absolute but they quite are pricey!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
Walt, I also need a new profile pic

I was going to ask Umali but he is too busy shooting the Chicks....
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Nice thread. Always love hearing opinions about boards. I've got lots of friends who ride, most with different boards. I spent a week at West Coast Camps this summer, pretty much everybody had different boards. I know all the coaches are sponsored so ride their sponsor's boards, but even so within the same company, different boards. I've ridden 4 different boards this year. I'm a low intermediate rider so it is all a learning experience for me. Since there are so many different opinions about how even the same board feels to different, well-intentioned and experienced riders, I'm starting to wonder if there is anything other than demo riding that can really help. BTW I rode the 06 142 Byerly last week which I'm sure is way over my head, but it was really fun feeling locked in like that. I could carve it so much better than my own 05 ERA 142. I have been riding it finless all year and went out and bought a pair of .8 Pwings that I rode Friday and thought that helped with my stability while still allowing pretty easy release for surface spins. It seems to me with the little experimentation I've done that fins, wake contour, how you are feeling on any given day, water conditions, spirit of your crew and what tunes you are cranking all influence the ride.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
So I just could not take it anymore… On my lunch hour I headed out and picked up not one, but two Marius 140’s. They had a buy one get one free deal going and I got the last two! HA! I demoed the board on Saturday and loved the soft landings compared to my LF Trip and it had much better pop as well.
If anyone is interested I could sell you one of the boards for $230, that is what I paid including tax. If you need me to ship it will be a bit more.

I rode the Trip finless and really liked it that way for surface work… does anyone ride the Marius without the center fin or with a smaller then center stock fin?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Try it finless. The board rides different from most but it can definately be ridden finless. It was too grippy for me with the stock fins.
Old    Tracy Marine ProShop            08-21-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
right on allen, you were able to get your hands on the 07 Tans
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-21-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
I plan on trying it both ways tomorrow evening.