Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-05-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
going to trade my 2005 Xti in for an xstar or a vlx

I've wakeborded behind both, but haven't surfed either

I've seen a slammed vlx....and have survived some of their rollers...ha ha
besides, my slammed xti has a similar surf wake

but
I've never seen an xstar surf wake

that could be the determining factor

please...xstar owners

show me some surf wakes..and share what you think

my wife surfs goofy and I'm regular (ha)

thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-05-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
I used a VLX in a wakesurf/wakeboard tournament this summer in Ohio. The VLX made a very nice wake on both sides with relatively little effort. I also asked Jeff Page with Inland surfer how to set up the VLX. Jeff recommended surfing with the wedge up. I think the wedge levels the back of the boat, which kills the wake on my boat.

I've read on line that the New X-Stars have a "Hull Extension". My boat, an 04 Centurion Lighting, the one with the older hull design, also has a hull extension. My personal experience and what I've read on line says that hull extensions are bad for wake surfing. My regular wake is OK, but my goofy wake is just awful.

Other brands you might look at are Tige’ and Centurion (Avy or especially the Enzo). A friend of mine has a Supra 22 SSV and says the goofy surfing wake is very good but I’ve never surfed behind his boat nor seen it. I understand that for 07 the 22 SSV hull will change and the surfwake might not be as good – I have no idea how you can qualify these statements.

So from my limited personal experience I can say the VLX was very good and drew good reviews from 21 wakesurfers, 11 goofy and 10 regular. If you’re going with one of the two big names I'd recommend the VLX and 400 to 800 lbs of additional ballast.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-05-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
I've also heard the XStar surf wake isn't great unless you use a lot of weight. I know the new X2, X15 and X45 have a better reputation for surf wakes....
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-05-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
Right, I've heard the new X-2 is pretty good - no first hand experience.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-05-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Ive ridden behind a weighted VLX and it was a dynomite surf wake...havenever been in an X-star so have nothing to say about it.
Old     (awl)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-05-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Go with the X-45. No hull extension, big boat= big wake.
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
I have an 06 X2, go for the X45 lays a nice wake with stock ballast. It will roll a monster with added weight.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-05-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
The VLX is almost within reach for many wakeboarders, the X-Star and the X-45 are pretty darned expensive - not really an apples to apples cost comparison.
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
Very true on cost difference.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
both are great boats but if i could afford a x-star and tow and stow it... i would be all it...awesome ride...
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
I have not tried the x-star but have been behind the x-2. We found it needed alot of weight to make a good wave. We have a V-ride and only need about 4-5 people plus ballast to make a good wake.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
We get a great wakesurf wake out of our VLX and it does seem to work better with the Wedge up, which I thought was odd.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
dave,

how do you weigh your vlx for goofy & what speed ?

thanks,

mike
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2006, 10:28 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure we were going about 10 or maybe a little less. We fill up all tanks except the left and add another 600 lbs to the storage locker. If you don't have a lot of people in the boat, you could add a little more weight to the back.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2006, 10:33 PM Reply   
thanks... we get a good regular wake but still dailin the goofy...
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
thanks for all of the input

seems like none of the x-star guys wanna post a pic
kinda telling I guess
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
I can tell you from first hand experience that the VLX blows the X-Star away for surfing.
The X-Star throws a passable reg wake, and is almost impossible to surf goofy.
The VLX surf very well on both sides.
If you want a boat for for just wakeboarding I'd say
the star, but if you're looking for both the VLX is the way to go.
My opinion is getting me in trouble by the way. My girlfriend rides for MC.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-07-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
I think it's fair to say that despite its many virtues, the X-Star is not known for its surf wake. Can it be surfed, yes. But only the most rabid of the MasterCraft KoolAid drinkers would say it is the "best" surf wake.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-07-2006, 11:36 PM Reply   
I have an 06 VLX and the goofy side with the wedge down at 10.0 mph goofy side ballast and 300 lbs water bags in storage, plus 5 people loaded on that side makes the wake hip high easy. Clean huge wake. The reg side same set up, but with out the wedge is clean, but not as high wake. The wedge makes it small and washed out on the reg side. Oh yeah 3/4 front ballast full and center 1/2 full is my set up. I use the 85lbs launch block water bags, because they are easy to move around.