Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (pav)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-14-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
I looked in the archives and saw where this is pretty commom.

To the people who have repaired one:

1) Did you take the whole thing out? (The heater core with the fan & all)

2) It looks like a b!&@h to get at, will it pull all the way out when you take out the 4 screws?

3) Can I use a piece of copper at the heater core under the front right seat for a temp fix or does it need to be at the engine? If at the engine, I have to take the batteries out & dont want to.

4) Is it worth fixing, or is it just going to crack again? I was getting spoiled with the heat on cold nights, but I didnt have heat before this boat.

5) I saw where a couple of people said it was a warranty item, even on a 2001 model? Im going to call tomorrow, but I was wondering about past experiences.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       06-14-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
2001…I seriously doubt it’s under warranty… even if you were the first and only owner.

If you want to just get back on the water and don’t mind having no heater… yes, you can pull off the lines and splice them as a temporary fix for now… then deal with fixing the heater core itself at a later date.

Half the battle is just getting to the heater…. If I was going to crawl around to get to it… I would just fix it in the process. Pulling the box out drilling a couple rivets to get inside then putting it back together is not too bad.

Good luck.

Short answer:
1. Yep. 2. Yep. (if the hoses are disconnected too.) 3. Yes at the heater will work. 4. In Seattle I say YES! 5. Doubt it.
Old     (pav)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-14-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
Jeff, Thanks for numbering the answers and actually responding to all 5! Im just lazy, I see how to get to it from under the drivers side foot area by pulling the access panel. It just looks like a pain, then I dont really know what I am looking for in the box.

Do I drill out the rivets and an inner box falls out? Then what? Put water to it and see where it's leaking?

Thank you
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-15-2005, 6:47 AM Reply   
either take the core to a radiator shop or send it back to heatercraft, once you have it out itll be obvious how it comes apart, ive got a basket case one myself that leaked and froze up the motor. Not sure if ill try to repair or order a new one??
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
HEY EVERYONE... Heatercraft had a bad batch of cores last year! You can either take that one out and return it and they will warranty it or you can order one and they will refund you when yours is returned. In the meantime just take a copper elbow and connect the two rubber hoses together and you are good to go!

Another tip... they will send you a new heater cor and box... it is totally different from their old one. Make sure you ask for the mounting brackets, I had to make new ones when my new heater core assembly arrived.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-15-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Jaspav-
I've heard that some of the heater cores are the same as used on a car, you can take it down and see if Kragens or someone has one, should be about $70 or so.

We had one go on a buddy's 99 X-star, and we pulled it while on the water, and plugged both the feed and return lines. You don't have to splice them, as long as you plan on fixing it soon. Depending on where it's located, it should be an easy thing to remove.
Old     (pav)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-15-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone, I used a copper shaped U and connected the lines, and just got in from a boat ride and no leaks. Now I just have to get it fixed,

Im going to take it apart and see what is inside, if I cant figure it out, I will take it to a radiator shop & get them to fix it.

jaspav
Old    h20            06-27-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
Radiator shop won't touch it, it needs to be replaced. Repalcinge the core is easy, getting at it is a pain in the you know what on a X-10.
You have to remove the drivers side kick panel, it has some screws in front and maybe some on the bottom from the back side ( under the bow seat and go diving) The panel is a bear to get out, you have to lift it up to get over the built in liner support.

Good Luck
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-28-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
You can also take it to a automotive parts store and buy a new one. Just take the old one in for a reference. You only need the core not the box.
Old     (highrider)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-28-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
I just replaced the core in the heater of my 00 X-Star.

Take the core to your local auto parts store....way way way cheaper. At AutoZone, my new core cost $15, and if the core ever goes bad again...they will replace it for free...LIFETIME warrenty.

The marina's are $100+ for the same core.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-28-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Took my core to a radiator shop and had them fix the leaks for $20. Bypass it with a piece of copper pipe until you get a new one. Getting it out and back in is the toughest part. Make sure you blow the water through the lines when storing it for the winter or disconnect one of the lines.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-28-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
I think you need to disconnect BOTH of the lines b\c water can get in from the other end as well.