Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-31-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about changing HU from a Kenwood 4058 HU to the Clarion unit. I want to use Clarions remotes so i can see the info on the puck instead of having to ride with the glove box open all the time. Opinions?
Upload
Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-31-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Looks like it will be a tight fit in that glovebox. What are your plans for the oval remote hole?

I've got the CMD4 with 2 LCD remotes and like it! About the only diff is Bluetooth I think.

(Message edited by chpthril on March 31, 2008)
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-31-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
True I think the face plate will lie on the mat/bottom but i thing I'll have room enough to put in a cd. Do you use an ipod and does it plug in and the HU controls ipod functions? I thought I would buy an mp3 player and skip the ipod. I think it will work the same right? But as far a quailty you like the clarion?
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-31-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Zach- I have the same HU as you in my XLV. And I agree, it sucks not being able to see the info. I decided to go with the Kenwood because you can hook up unlimited remotes to the HU. I run three wired remotes so Kenwood was the only choice. Also, I've been meaning to call ya to talk about our XLV's!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-31-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Oh and by the looks of your fuel guage you are in need of a $100 fuel up!
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-31-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Mike: If I change the HU I thought I would have an oval plug made of aluminum cut and chromed with the Moomba logo on it.

Kraig: I gratefully except your offer on the gas!! Call anytime I would love it.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-31-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
"True I think the face plate will lie on the mat/bottom but i thing I'll have room enough to put in a cd. Do you use an ipod and does it plug in and the HU controls ipod functions? I thought I would buy an mp3 player and skip the ipod. I think it will work the same right? But as far a quailty you like the clarion?"

Any MP3 should work, we have an Ipod and Zen. I have a cable with headphone plug on one end and RCA's on the other and plug up to the AUX inputs on the back. I popped a hole in the glovebox for the cable.

You can also buy a socket that plugs up to the AUX RCA's and use with double-ended headphone cable. Clarion #CCAAUX

You can go with the Clarion #CCA-Ipod that uses the Cnet and will charge the Ipod. With an extension cable, you can mount it on the drivers side.

2 years and no probs with head unit or remotes. Display is easy to read, buttons are easy to push.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-31-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
"If I change the HU I thought I would have an oval plug made of aluminum cut and chromed with the Moomba logo on it"

That would look cool. Great idea to fill a void.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-31-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
On second thought I will swap the trim gauge down a spot, move the depth gauge to the dash with a chromed oval and put the clarion led puck in the place of where the trim gauge is currently. Now that will look good.

old pic but it illustrates....
Upload
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-31-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Aquaholic you might try this. I don't know if its compatible with the CMD5, but Clarion could answer that for you.
It would prolly fit in the factory location better.
Upload

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3104_Clarion+M301RC-RET+Marine+Remote.html
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-01-2008, 5:55 AM Reply   
kenwood makes a HU and remote with an LCD screen. I have one lyign aroudn I'd proabbly let go for cheap. I think it' sup at my dealer, but I have everythign one remote, HU, and ipod interface. I swapped mine out to an Alpine HU and woreless remote.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-03-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
I have those remotes and just upgraded to the CMD5 from the XMD3 and the remotes work but I can't get them to display track information.