Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (huevo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-06-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Im looking for a new boat wtih competition style wake, that will be dependable for a long time, I usually ride with no more than 6 to 8 people, how do these boats stack up?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-06-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Both great boats, both will last forever if you treat them right, both throw competition style wake, can not go wrong either way. Go check them out in person.
Old     (dan_k)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-06-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
exactly, personally i liked the malibu more.it looks better and handles better in my opinion.super smooth too!
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Chris, you have no idea what you just started...
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
Here we go again.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-06-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Gekko.

Nuff SAID!
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-06-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
I am in the same boat...so to speak...looking to update my X9-i love my boat..only think that now I may want to simply update! based on simple progression I RIDE and slalom...I can get my slalom bug fixed by skiing with my local ski club,,,but,,times when i am off my lake or the club is not there...still like to strap on the stick....
-options are as follows...
X star or wakesetter....both are the companies flag ship models..
the xstar is an amazing wake and wicked ride,,,lower bow..for my less experienced drivers...but a big boat and not efficient for covering the water as other boats..plus...reality states u simply ca't slalom behind an x star that is in publis!
.wakesetter not built/finnished as well(IMO)..but a fantastic ride...and great for covering ground/water....on larger lakes and slaom...with less fuel consumption///a great wicked ride too!!! so as I look for a new ride..malibu and MC "a-hole" closed minded owners aside,,, i am simply looking for something that will fit my style...
post some pics and suggestions from owners>>>
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2007, 12:39 AM Reply   
If you like an occasional swerve you should probably look at something with a trim plate like the Supra 22SSV. The wake board wake is as good as the VLX IMO and can be bigger without hand filling sacs or carrying lead (Gravity bags)
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-07-2007, 1:25 AM Reply   
i used a 05-06-07 malibu vlx and now own a 08-xstar.wich i have only used for 6 hours untill now.Hours on the bu,s 900.Malibu has a better stock wake.Malibu needs +/- 1500 lbs on top of the factory ballast to make it a competition style wake,you also need a acme 1235 prop with that set up and leave the wedge in the up position.You,ll have bags/blocks/led all over the place and consumes alot of interior space..Precision Pro works fine and holeshot takes only a few seconds with the monsoon 340.
better visability due the illusion tower concept and rack position.Rope gets caught by those same racks.

The x-star with the LY6 has amazing power with a total of 3000lbs the x-star shoots out of the hole with a 14.25X14.5 OJ(stock Prop).Wake feels somewhat the same as the bu 70ft but it has a bigger lip..i mean BIGGER LIP!we packed 1250lbs in blocks/bags into the boat it fits under the seats so no loss of interior space.X-star is nose heavy takes some time to get used to how to drive and easy of the gas or the wake will come on to the sundeck..yesterday we had glass,i wonder what happens on 4 foot cargo frieght ship wakes on our river.V-dig has some problems,but there are software updates so i guess they fixed the proplems by now.i have not found the right pp settings for the x-star.
VLX chinelocks on tight turns and i noticed some prop cavitation on the X-star on tight (starboard)turns.

all this info is with a total of +/- 3000lbs
Test drive both if you can.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-07-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
good info ben, but I will have to disagree a little. I have been in a wakesetters extensively. From 05 up they have a competition wake out of the box. The fit and finish is outstanding. Also, they are a lot cheaper than an x-star. I have been in an x-1 not an x-star extensively. Great wake, but fit, finish, and service all go to Malibu hands down. Also, I don't recall hearing of a single gel coat issue on a malilbu can't say the same from mc. One thing I can say positive for the mc is the x-star is the best looking boat on the water.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Just got my 08 VLX in...I have put 6 hours on it and found nothing yet to speak of wrong with it. but imo dealer means everything. We have a malibu dealer that is hands down the best in the biz Let's face it...it really comes down to personal preferance between MC and Bu. I think the dealer should be a big part of the deal breaker. So when it comes to me I'm BU all the way...
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-07-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
If you want the best go with an X-star. If money is a factor go with the malibu
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-07-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
what rG said..
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-07-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Love my x-star, and what rG said too.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-07-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
Love my x-star as well, agree with what ben said from what I have experienced. As for cost our 07 x-star every option was under $70,000 so cost wasn't a factor since the vlx was the same price with less options.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-08-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
What engine did you get in that 07 for under 70K? RTP.........?
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-08-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
mcx
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
I am sure that this post is going to be like all the rest.

[insert your boat here] is far superior to the [insert other boat here] because out of the box the wake just wasn't as [insert adjective for wake size] as the [boat 2].

Fact of the matter is, the dealer can make or break a good boat deal. How do the dealers for the 2 boats stack up? The TEST DRIVE YOURSELF and find the one that YOU like. When all the yahoo's on here pay part of the payment then they deserve a say in what you buy.

(Message edited by texasmasterc on October 08, 2007)
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
He is asking for advice, dont be mad that CC isnt on the bill.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-08-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
This is like comparing a BMW to a BENZ. Both great, just pick the one that's right for you.

I can't speak from experience on the BU, but I love my X-star! While I'm sure every boat needs some extra ballast to make the wake the best it can be, Fly-High makes a ballast kit for both the X-star and the X-2. With either the 400 hp LY6 or the 450 hp 8.1 liter, the X-star should be able to handle whatever extra ballast you want to throw in it. Nice rampy wake when properly setup, too much weight in the rear will give it a "curl".

Consider fit and finish, dealer support, INNOVATION, and RESALE VALUE. (how much will each boat be worth in 5, 10, 15 years?)

Test each boat out and ride behind them, pick the one that suits you best.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Sorry....that was just inflamatory.......

(Message edited by Deuce on October 08, 2007)
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
matt c
depends on what people think how a competition wake should look like.But if he,s riding with 7 or 8 people in a vlx with stock ballast the wake will be huge.For better performance and a steady pull reprop it to a acme 1235.
However if you only ride with 2 or 3 people in the boat you could use the wedge,but i never liked the way the boat handeled with that thing down,not that it was bad or something but for me it did not feel natural...Can,t explain it right.(in english) lol.Btw the 05 and 06 broke the 07freefloat didn,t but then again we did not used it much.
The shape of the wake was steeper with the wedge down and it was a nice solution if we didn,t want to hassle with the extra sacks etc.

Both boats are great.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-08-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
The X-Star pulls the Pro-Tour, so for a competition wake, that's pretty much it right? I know there are other comps that other boats pull, but thats the big one correct. Also, Ben, not knockin', but you're overloading the crap out of it man. Hey, we all know it can take it, but bro, that's a bit excesive. Run V-drives in the rear, 500lbs in the front, stock ballast and it is money. Add 6-8 people and it's massive, doesn't get any better period, been in and behind them all. Also, RG and Mark, right on! Couldn't be more true.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Mastercraft pulls the Pro Tour because they pay to do it.... It has nothing to do with the quality of the X-Star wake or who makes the mythical "best boat".....
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-08-2007, 7:31 PM Reply   
x-star pulls the pro tour with the fly high ballast system in it. adds a lot of weight.

Both boats have great wakes. Xstar wake is just simply unbelievable weighted down. Vlx is great too. Chad Sharpe swears by it. Rusty throws down behind both and chad landed the double indy grabbed backroll behind it. Dont think you can go wrong either way. If you look at these big time riders they are usually behind two boats... VLX or Xstar.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Why wasnt malibu at the PWT? I seen every other boat mfg there except malibu humm. There supposedly the number one quantity seller seems odd that their not there.

EJ-wrong mastercraft pulls the pro tour because their the best, period no excuses needed...

Wakeworld-also rated the Xstar as the boat of the year 5 times in a row, advice get the best. As the old saying goes its better to only bitch once on the price vs bitching twice, once since you made the wrong decision and 2 for having to pay more later
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
Okay rG.........
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-09-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
Yeah right. I'm sure all of the pros would be really disappointed if a sacked out VLX was pulling them on the PWT. I like both boats but the VLX easily puts out as good a wake as the Xstar. These boat war threads are so retarded. Both boats are sick and neither one will hold a rider back from throwing their best tricks. It's the same petty arguing about who's is better every time.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
rG- wakeworld also rated the ronix one the best board of the year. i ride the board and i love it. But ill bet money its not the prefered board of everyone. Mastercraft probably pays the most as a sponsor also. stop talking crap all the time. every thread you run ur mouth.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
rG when did you get an X-star?

Malibu sells 3 boats to every 1 MC I wouldn't say that makes malibu better. However, they must be doing something right or do you think they just get lucky every year.

As far as pulling the PWT. Maybe Malibu believes the cost involved to do the events vs. the payback doesn't make sense. Maybe they would rather give green backs to their team riders, ie Philip Soven and be...hmmm the #1 rider on the tour, at least for 07.

Anyhow I say demo both boats and figure out which one you like best. Personally, if I were looking at an X-star I think that boat compares more to a 23LSV.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Billy- No clue if mastercraft pays the most, dont really care, malibu sells more why arent they sponsoring wake tours? Dude answer the questions I raise else dont commit
BTW-Just face the FACTS
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Ewing- dont have an Xstar-- see unbiased-- have friends that have both though, IMO Xstar takes it to the next level, as in innovation, design,always improving, riding yadda yadda...
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
do you read mc ads and then say stuff on here?
and face what facts? that the xstar pulls the PWT? Its a sick boat and throws a fatty wake. You come on here all the time talking crap about every boat besides MC's. I remember not too long ago you were on here asking wakeworld what to buy between a malibu and mc. Now all of a sudden nothing touches mc. w/e bro

bottom line is they both throw money wakes and both are great quality boats. Just demo and figure out which one you like better riding behind
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
You know, everyone does have an opinion and can voice it. I guess it is just the responsibility of the reader to decide who is actually educated and informed.....

rG,

Did you buy an X-Star? It appears that you may have ordered a boat? Did you settle? So does your friend with the Malibu know that his boat is for someone who settles?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
lol we should all remember the old saying

"opinions are like A$$@%*es, we all got one and they all stink"
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-09-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
That's it, Rock paper sizzors for the winner! No doubt I'm an MC guy and have been for years, I have my reasons and others have thiers for liking the other boats. I chime in on the "vs." threads but they are quite dumb. But hey, run them both, ride behind both, ride in both, like it or not boys, there are big differences in the brands, but dealer dealer dealer. And I'm pretty sure that they don't sell 3 to 1...I don't know the numbers so I guess crucify me, but I'm sure a dealer out there can clarify the number of BU's built/year vs. MC's.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Ej- yup 08-x2, settle for? Got exactly what I wanted, xstar a little big for the lake we go to.

Bill- never asked about malibu and MC it was supra and mc, never seen or were in a supra before the question I asked. As such a quick demo in the supra was all i needed to eliminated that. Malibu dealer here in house is dumpy, dirty, poor service, ok boat, but I wouldnt buy one with you $
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-09-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
You will not be unhappy with either of those boats. They are both fantastic, so make that your starting point. From there, start looking at reasons why one or the other might not work for you. For example, I could never get an X-Star in my garage, so that would be a big drawback for me. I'd either have to pay for storage or leave it outside, neither of which I'd want to do with such a nice boat.

Also, starting a thread with such a general question will usually result in a "my boat is better than yours" pissing match. Start a thread asking more specific questions about the features that are important to you.

Finally, don't forget to check out the dealer. Having a reliable dealer that is close to you is a huge part of the purchase.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-09-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
well spoken by the wake world god. thank you dave.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-09-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
Sorry Mark you were right it is about a 3-2 advantage for Malibu.

rG your making us bu guys feel like we should just burn our boats...we got feelings too.

X-star or VLX I would consider that a good problem to have in life.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2007, 5:27 AM Reply   
Ewing- Im not at all saying Malibu is a bad boat, just stating my personal opinion. No Fence- no need to burn that nice boat- (to the contrary both are nice boats) keep it it will hang with the X-

Id agree being in a position to buy an x-star or vlx is good problem to have.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Yes rG, settle.... You said that the X-Star was the best....so you settled for less than the best?

What lake do the guys you ride with go to, the ones with an X-Star and a VLX?

Just as a side note, I have not stated an opinion on either boat on this thread. Just wanted to respond to some of your comments rG, which as in almost every boat thread, are inflamatory and many times....innacurate.

EJ-wrong mastercraft pulls the pro tour because their the best, period no excuses needed.........see what I mean.....
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-10-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
So rG you bought a new 08 after you couldn't get financed for the used one you were looking at?

You definetely settled for less with the X2, what's wrong couldn't step up to the X-star. Your lake couldn't handle the extra 2 feet, ya whatever dude. I'm willing to bet you've never set foot in a newer malibu. If you really had a buddy with one and spent some time on one you wouldn't be flaming them so bad. If the dealer in your area sucks don't blame you for steering clear of malibu. You sound like you just got back from a MC pep ralley sales convention, all fluff and no facts PERIOD. The only fact is here that both boats are great boats nobody can deny that. The rest is preference and advertising dollars. MC spends way more than Malibu on advertising do a little research and you'll see. Bu sells itself, when you're the number 1 selling manufacturer the product tends to sell itself.

It's funny going into a MC dealership and listen to them bash the competition. Go to a Malibu dealer and all you hear them talk about is their boats, not the competition. At least that's been my experience.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
EJ- if thats your definiton of settle, x2 is little bro of Xstar, weight it correctly and wake is massive- I dont want an X-star no need for the size

EJ-where do you ride? I ride on elk lake.

How my commits inflamatory? How so? Just cause you dont agree with my statments makes them inflamatory. Come to the MC side (darkside), youll find them pretty accurate. lol
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-10-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
---Did you buy an X-Star? It appears that you may have ordered a boat? Did you settle? So does your friend with the Malibu know that his boat is for someone who settles?
---Yes rG, settle.... You said that the X-Star was the best....so you settled for less than the best?

WTF does it matter!? Holy shiat! let it go! the man bought a boat! congrats on the boat!

---Just as a side note, I have not stated an opinion on either boat on this thread.
THEN WTF ARE YOU ARGUING FOR????????
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-10-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Nubu- yup bank didnt want to finance a used boat, stated had no problem with new though.

Xstar is too much for me bro- lol- jk na no where to store it plus price is too much for me. IF the requirements were met (could afford it, storage, and lake I would).

Actually BU was bashing MC not the otherway around where im at, as such would only make sense since the dealer is garbage and MC has a big beautiful showroom.

Nu- you gonna get into the debate finally, i was wondering why you havent spoken already... :-)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-10-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Haven't been around much for the last few weeks, been busy trying to pay for my inferior product
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
rG....I slip @ Jordanelle and travel to Starvation and Lake Powell on occasion.