Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old    supraguy            06-29-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
OK I have decided I hate my 2008 22SSV no matter what weight or speed I run there is no consistency to the shape and or the speed. I have adjusted the pull on the perfect pass from 180-400 and still pulls like crap, it adjust between 1-2 mph difference. My old 2002 supra perfect pass did not do this the most it would adjust is .5 mph and had just over 2500 pounds in it. I have tried going from 23- 27 mph with rope length going from 75-85 and going from stock weight to 750's is back with a extra 300 in the bow and going stock with a 750 on the floor and 300 in the bow I am hating my BOAT any one have any advice or anyone else hate there new boat. OH and I have put just over 10hrs is adjusting the wake this was not a quick thing I have been taking my time I have been ridding for a few years so I am not new at this game....
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-29-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
Talk to your dealer and get their help... I have had no problems getting mine dialed and once I got the weight setup right have found it to be very consistent. Good luck.
Old    supraguy            06-29-2009, 11:02 PM Reply   
I have done that and set it up the way there supra shop rider has his set and still zero consistency. How do I find the supra fourm
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-29-2009, 11:06 PM Reply   
Supraboats.com/bbs
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-29-2009, 11:09 PM Reply   
Where are you located? I'm sure there are plenty of folks here willing to help you out... If you are in wa state, I will do my best to help. Again, good luck.
Old    supraguy            06-29-2009, 11:16 PM Reply   
I am in Spokane Wa. Why can't I get the perfect pass to control the speed better like I said goes between 1-1.5 and sometime 2 mph from where we have it set. I have adjusted it all the pull all they way from 100-400 and no diff, and this was all done with the same ridder and same speed and same weight. I was working on getting the speed dialed in before I started messing much with anything else, to me have the speed set is all the diffarnce in the world. I know it will go up and down but that much..
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-29-2009, 11:21 PM Reply   
Perhaps what you need is a different prop. Try to see if your dealer will let you try a couple of different ones.

Also if you buy a prop from the Acme factory they will allow you to exchange it as long as it is not damaged.
Old    supraguy            06-29-2009, 11:27 PM Reply   
I has the Acme wakeboard prop on it now
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-30-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
I do not have a Supra Boat. I have the Moomba LSV. I did change the prop on the boat ans added the Star Gazer PP. This is the third prop that I put on it. It hold the speed I need and a great hole shot. Goto www.boarditup.com and talk to them. They helped my out and steered me in the right direction. I hope this helps and they can help you.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-30-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
What are the specs on the acme? The prop that sc calls the wakeboard prop is an OJ XMP Cnc 14x14.25, which is the prop on my boat. I cannot get to my boat today to check PP settings, perhaps somebody else can or I can get to my boat tomorow. Given that I haven't heard of anybody else with this problem I'm sure it can be fixed...
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-30-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
also talk to PP I was having the same problem in my 08 I put a stronger spring on the throttle return and PP sent me a update for the servo motor it helped a bunch.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-30-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
switch to RPM mode - problem solved.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            06-30-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
brian,
it can be frustrating dialing a new boat. the 22ssv is pretty sensitive too. i have had two of them and been a challenge each time, but you will get it..... here is my advice, as I just got mine dialed again.
#1 - Get the 1050 bag up front. Either way make sure your bag is not filling with air first. When that bag is half full, go to the front of the bag and burp the air out. You might be surprised at how much air you are lugging around. Your boat sounds ass heavy and this is the first thing I would check.
#2 - Bring a GPS with you and make sure your speed is accurate. You will have to get your speed up to 24-25.5 with that boat and this much weight.
#3 - Have all of your friends sit up near the driver
#4 - Start slowly and build on it. Do not have all your friends in when you are trying to dial it. Start slowly with roughly 3 people so you can move them around and see where your boat likes the weight. Then slowly add people to the boat in a balanced fashion.

As for your perfect pass, not sure what to tell you, but you will want to adjust it a bit and it will hold or do what Jarod suggested.

Here is how I just got mine dialed last week
FRONT:
1150# Locker Bag
250# lead spread around the front under the seats

REAR LOCKERS
750# Or 650# bags in each of the rears. I like the 650# bag the best if you don't have steps cause that brings some more weight forward.

IN THE BOAT
Have people sit close to the driver and get the boat up to speed about 25 MPH (GPS proven cause your speedo on the perfect pass is not always right). Then move people around to make sure you are evenly weighted on both sides. I also have another 50# to 100# of lead in bags in the boat to move around to balance the boat as needed.

75' on the roap length.

The boat is very sensitive no doubt, but once you figure it out, it is probably one of the biggest wakes out there.
Old     (dicky_diehl)      Join Date: May 2007       06-30-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
brian some of the 07's had the paddle wheel in the wrong location so it was impossible to hold speed with any weight in the boat.they moved mine 2 inches to the right spot and it works perfect and i'm running over 3000 pounds also call perfect pass they will tell you what settings to try.

2 750 bags in rear
1150 bag in front
200 in lead under passenger seat
200 in lead under front bag
100 in lead under drivers seat
speed 23 gps
plate 50%
rope 70 ft
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Should you even be adding weight yet? I was under the impression it was bad to start weighting your boat right out the gate. I know I waited till I had about 35 hours on it before I added any extra weight.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
> "I hate my new boat"

I would sure hate to have that sentiment.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-30-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
I have a 08 22ssv and have no problems like that at all. I have been very impressed in that I stay within .5 mph on perf pass whatever we are doing. surf board skiing and tubing. running a 14.25 x 14 4 blade with the 340 hp-
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-30-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
I spoke with Aaron at PerfectPass. He said the factory settings for the PP (which I know I'm using) are 150 KDW and 60 NN. He said if it's surging, the KDW can be adjusted up to 200 or so, but you should not go higher than that... he said you can always reset the system and it will set it at all the factory presets.

He said if there still is an issue with it surging, the next thing to look into is the paddlewheel -- make sure there are no obstructions and it is spinning freely.

Good luck...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
So are you setting the weight up like Ricky at The Shop? He's a good guy & usually been very helpful.

And working with Vince at Alpine Haus on the PP problem? I hear they have a new service mgr so hopefully they will be better than they have in the past.

Good luck.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Dude wtf you are mad at your perfect pass and you say it's the boats fault?
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-30-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
Better yet it is an inboard, why do you need perfect pass? I guess no one knows how to use the old finger and thumb method any more. I understand that you pay for a new boat and expect the PP to work but I wouldn't let that judge the quality of the boat much less ruin a set on the water.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-30-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Yeah mr cox try to keep a surf wave at 10mph without pp with over 2000lbs of ballast have fun
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-30-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Brian- This is Bret.. I used to work at Alpine Haus. There is a problem with your perfect pass. Tell Todd Hughes the service mgr. that your perfect pass is doing the same thing as Ed Hunters and that the same fix should work. Tell him it was my recomendation. I can't remeber what exactly they did, but it was the same issues, and they fixed it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Now thats some service. Nicely done Bret. Hope it helps.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-30-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
Sounds like not nearly enough weight in the front of the boat to me is definitely one of your problems.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Please post up what the issue with your PP end sup being. I have very similar issues on my 07, but have just delt with it.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-30-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
Yeah mr cox try to keep a surf wave at 10mph without pp with over 2000lbs of ballast have fun

I've already mastered that. You are one of the people I am talking about that don't know how to use your digits and an RPM gauge.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-30-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Make sure batteries are charged! Hopefully you have 2 batteries. I had 2 batteries, both below mid-point and PP was searching for it's soul. Very annoying since it all worked, just not right.

Good luck
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Wakedoctor ~ FTW

Good to know there are a few of us left who still know how to drive a boat
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-30-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
If you come down to Lake Roosevelt this weekend, and launch in Lincoln I'd be glad to help you get it dialed in. I have no idea how to, but am willing to work until about 4pm Sunday afternoon
Old    supraguy            06-30-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for all the advice. I talked to someone at perfect pass today and have really good idea on what to adjust. Brett it what perfect passes advice dosn't work Todd is my next stop, I spoke to Todd today so he is on my page with the problem, also I can drive a boat with RPM but when you pay the extra for perfect pass you want it to work and the speed is the most inportant thing into getting the wake dialed. I am going out Wed. after work with Ricky ( The Shop ) will post what happens and thanks again guys....
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-30-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
My Perfect Pass did not work properly when I first got my new boat either - dealer did a crappy install. They took it back, fixed it, water tested it, and all has been well since.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-01-2009, 4:39 AM Reply   
NO Mr Cox, I was tounament driver certified before PP came out. I just prefer not to have my head buried in my dash when giving a skier a pull. Guy like you are my biggest fear on the lake.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
Driving without PP is like saving files with DOS. If you do not know what DOS is ask someone who used a PC before 1992. Both are skills that are quickly becoming extinct and yes every once in a while they may come in handy but for the most part they are unnecessary. Much safer to drive with PP and RPM mode will work fine.

Good luck Brian. PP is a great company and sure you will get it worked out.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-01-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I am not arguing that perfect pass is not better. However, you can give just as good of a pull without it if you know what you are doing. As for "head buried in the dash" this is where most people mess up. You don't have to tap on the throttle every second adjusting it. The boat speed is going to vary by .5 or so when the rider cuts out but it will return to normal. Even though I head in when the crowd comes out, by following the look ahead, check your mirror, look ahead, check your speed, look ahead, I promise you will be fine at the whip lash speed of 22 mph. I am sorry that someone told you that were special and perhaps gave you a plaque that stated certified dingy operator. However, if you had your head buried in the dash then you didn't know how to drive. It is o.k. though some people are good at some things and others are not.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-01-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
rpm mode - same as mph - just another option on your PP system. The most important thing to get the wake dialed - is the wake - not the mph. You just keep clicking up(speed/rpms) until your wake is finally clean - doesnt matter if its reading mph or rpm's. Once your wake is perfect - thats the correct speed/rpm's for your boat that day. You dont set your speed - then clean your wake up - you adjust your speed/rpm's until your wake looks perfect - its always different depending on your weight on the boat that specific day.

I had the same issue with my 2 supreme's and my centurion and my buddys MB V23 - i was out on the water for hours & hours with PP on the phone with me trying to dial in mph mode - drug my dealer out - etc... Never held perfect - swithced to RPM mode - done! holds exact - 0 surging, 0 fluctuation.

I feel your frustration bro - was in the same situation as well. Just know theres a quick solution thats equiped on your PP system. good luck.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-01-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
my boat takes forever ( what feels like forever) to get on plane in RPM mode.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-04-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
my 08 X2 would not hold a speed and the dealer replaced the paddle wheel and it holds speed great now.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-04-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
I'm with Craig, people these days cannot drive... its insane. If I'm driving a boat with perfect pass I will not use it (unless its zero-off, that stuff is amazing...) but so many people we ride with will come from the nice fancy whatever to our boat (w/o perfect pass) and give the worst pull ever.... kids these days are spoiled.
end rant.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-05-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
I have used zero of this season and have not done a thing. It fluctuates between a tenth of a mph at most. It holds through turns and rollers. I agree it is silly to set a program for "Dave", Dave may have loved the the wake at 21.5 at 7 am with no boat in sight, but now with six people in the boat and some wind the wake is awful. I love zero off because you just press an arrow up or down to find the right wake then you are set. An added plus is that it can control the boat at as little as five MPH. Ever been stuck in a long no wake zone? I just set it and forget it.
Old    supraguy            07-07-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
OK well after a good honest 20 hours I think the wake and PP are set. I can't belive it took me this long I must be losing my touch. I am starting to dig my boat again. I don't rember who posted that the 22SSV is sensetive to weight from side to side but that is very true. Thanks to everyone who offered me advice I took a lot of it to the water and got a wake that works. Have a SICK season everyone...
Old    pdxWAKE.com            07-07-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
Good to hear. She is a bit finicky, but once you figure it out you are set.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Sell it!