Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                05-18-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
I'm trying to learn how to olly and have tried what people say, but the only thing that happens is the front end of the board pops up and the back stays there.
I kinda did it once, but it was off of a roller out in the flats.
Could someone please explain to me what exactly I need to do, besides shove down with your back foot.
Thanks,
Dave
Old     (afwakepilot13)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-18-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
First you're going to push down more with both feet, and kind of use your body a little bit too, crouch down, then really fast push down on your back foot, pull up your front foot, and then pull up your back foot. YOu have to get the timing down right, a good way to do this is just do it real light a few times not coming off the water, and then take it harder and harder and then do it really hard and release. Some people call this pumping. You have to push down and then up right afterwards, you can't really hold that pressure down on the water for a long time, you push down and then go up, kind of like a trampoline, you have to time the up/down right to get pop.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2004, 7:22 PM Reply   
cut out on your heelside edge and then just jump and bring your knees up, try this it is less complicated
Old                05-18-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Imagine standing on land and jumping with both feet. Thats it right there. Or if your having trouble landing it and maybe nosediving it think of it like a skateboard ollie where you jump but jump with your front foot like a semi second before your back. Jumping off the rollers like you said will also help you get a feel for the pop and landing
Old                05-20-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
imagine you are running toward a 3 or 4 foot high ledge. how would you jump up on to it? You would push off with your back or power leg as you brought your front leg up to the level of the ledge. It is the same thing only on water and sideways.
Old                05-20-2004, 8:14 PM Reply   
Oh, I see it now, ok, thanks guys, I'm gonna try it tomorrow whenever I get out on the water... and if I don't get a chance with that I'll dig the skateboard out... thanks alot
Old                05-21-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the help... I just got back from wakeboarding and ollied several times today. It's really very easy, I was just making it way too dificult.
the only bad part was my faceplant when it nosedived on me... got 2 black eyes from it, wooh!! But I got back up and managed to pull off a higher one without the face plant.