Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
Just got some pics of this new boat, there is at least one other graphics option also.
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
here are some pics of the new Tomcat gel scheme... this is also going to be available on the 23 TWB.
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
a few more...
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-01-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
ok, I'll say it. I really want to like these boats, but damn it if they both aren't just ugly. They certainly aren't blowing the bank on graphic design.
Old    SamIngram            10-01-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
What they don't spend on graphic design they spend gel coat application. They probably have the second best gel coat in the business, next to SANGER. They both have their roots in old school hot boats and now how to do things right when it comes to gel coat.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-01-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Just me but I really like the orange one. like the interior on the first one, just not diggin the dull brown on the outside. Love the tomcat thow.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
I like both gel schemes on these just not the colors displayed here. What I don't care for is the plug in and wires coming off the tower, theres gotta be a better way.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
Ummm... hello folks. 1.5 hours have passed since this thread started and all you wanna talk about is gel coat? Who cares about the new gel coat. Like it, hate it, doesnt' really matter? MB will make whatever design you want.

How about the fact that this is a completely new boat! The hull and new top deck! When the 21 TWB came out everybody kept saying, "Can't wait to see it in 23' flavor." Well here it is!! I'm pumped. If I had room in my garage, I'd be first in line for one!

Put it this way... if the 21 TWB is rated for 16 people, 65 gallons of gas, and 1,800 lbs. of water, how much do you get by adding 2 full feet of length?

Ian, can you give us some specs? Like length, width, weight, capacity, ballast, fuel capcity, standard engine, etc. That's the important stuff, no?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
The orange color and scheme is terrible. The scheme on the tan one is really nice and a ripoff of the 07/08 malibu scheme. That being said I like that scheme a lot. I am not the biggest fan of the tan though.

I don't see hardly any differences with the new 23 tomcat to the old one. I still see a 21.5" boat with huge prong's sticking off to make it 23'. It looks like it might have a slightly larger bow area than the 21 tomcat but that is about it. I see absolutely no reason to buy the 23 tomcat. I would much rather have the 21 tomcat or better yet, the TWB.

Last edited by polarbill; 10-01-2010 at 3:21 PM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-01-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
First one is CLEAN - like it!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
The orange color and scheme is terrible. The scheme on the tan one is really nice and a ripoff of the 07/08 malibu scheme. That being said I like that scheme a lot. I am not the biggest fan of the tan though.

I don't see hardly any differences with the new 23 tomcat to the old one. I still see a 21.5" boat with huge prong's sticking off to make it 23'. It looks like it might have a slightly larger bow area than the 21 tomcat but that is about it. I see absolutely no reason to buy the 23 tomcat. I would much rather have the 21 tomcat or better yet, the TWB.
Amen, Brett. I've never been a fan of the 23 Tomcat.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
Brett, i'm pretty sure length is measured through the middle which would make the forks on the 23 tomcat not come into play. I can assure you it is a MUCH larger boat than the 21. Don't have any specs on the 23 TWB except 2200 lbs of ballast is included.

I'm diggin the classic gel scheme and am sure that's what I'll have on the 23 TWB next year. Can't wait to see some wake pics.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
Brett, i'm pretty sure length is measured through the middle which would make the forks on the 23 tomcat not come into play. I can assure you it is a MUCH larger boat than the 21. Don't have any specs on the 23 TWB except 2200 lbs of ballast is included.

I'm diggin the classic gel scheme and am sure that's what I'll have on the 23 TWB next year. Can't wait to see some wake pics.
MB's website lists the 23 at 23'6" which should be from the tips of the fork. If not then this boats overall length without the platform is 24.5-25' long. If it is 23.5 to the tips then the boat is like a 22' boat or so. Still not that big of a difference although a full foot of interior space can be significant.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-01-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
I don't see any difference this F23 Tomcat and last years model. Not digging the graphics, it looks like a giant X on the side which to me means X-Star. Love the wakeboarding wake behind the F23 though, hands down my favorite wakeboarding wake.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-01-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
Im liking these boats. I wish there was a dealer in MN, their is one in MI but its to far from me. The 21 TWB fits the lakes i use and the amount of peeps i bring

Question for MB owners. What is the tower clearance for standing in the boat? I am 6'4". I dont like to hit my head on the tower or speakers.

Ian, is the 23 TWB going to be your next boat?
Old    mojo            10-01-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
i think the seat material looks top notch. i like the dash and tower racks too. the only think i dislike is the pickle fork and the transom area. i know why they are there and could live with the fork, but the transom looks very inboard/outboardish and odd on a wake boat, but i have noticed most companies are changing up the plain old style.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-01-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Looks like a bowrider with a Monster Tower..... Fail.
Old    mojo            10-01-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
oh, and why oh why is that speaker terminal mounted there? im sure it's a great boat. just sayin
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-01-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
I think they look great and I can't wait to see how other color combos look. MB's "Cafe" color looks really great in person, don't know how to describe it. You guys are looking at two of the best wake producing boats on the market. The 23 TWB is going to be insane, I am assuming 2400 lbs of ballast with Pure vert filling and emptying. Nautolux vinyl, PCM engines, Zero Off, MB warranties and build. You owe it to yourself to check out an MB if you are in the market for a new boat, new or used.
Old    mojo            10-01-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
if i do ever get a new boat i will only buy one with a pcm engine. i do think MB has a great product even though i've never been in one. theoretically i hope i can keep my current one forever and just repower it and redo the interior.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-01-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
I so want a TWB.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
I only know that the 23 TWB is 2200 lbs of ballast. As for the brown boat, i personally really like those colors. I think that boat is sick. ALWake, that tower is legit, it is the most solid tower I've personally seen. It's very similar to the Titan III. Dahmsey, yep, that is what I'm planning for 2011 is the 23 TWB. Can't wait.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-02-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Man, the position of that cable is begging to get ripped out. That is a poor design, right under the board racks?
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-02-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Jeremy, where else would you put that wire?
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
No , that is the best place to catch the drips in the speakon socket, especially for salt riders.
Old    mojo            10-02-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
i prefer the speaker wires running through the tower tube and directly down to the amp. cleaner look and nobody is going to stub on it or break it. i have the same connect on my tower speakers, but only to the speaker. after that it goes through the tower and into the amp via rca's. seems like a double dip. to me it's just funny to see so many well thought out designs on these boats and some that were given no thought at all. everyone is guilty of that though
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-02-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
"Jeremy, where else would you put that wire?"

Well, if I had absolutely no other choice in the design, I would at least have a way to run it flush along the tower and hull, not with that giant loop in it.

"hey Jimmy, you mind catching us on that side? Sure...oh, I just killed the power to the speakers."

Last edited by wake77; 10-02-2010 at 5:58 PM.
Old    mojo            10-02-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
i know i've commented too much, but i'm stuck at home with an ill dog. to me the reason for the placement of the amp connect is tower design(obviously). my guess is that the tubing is so narrow to help with the fold down. if that is the case i think it would have been better to increase the mount size and make things look invisible. maybe that is something a stereo shop in the area does and is not factory.?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
I had that design all season and not once did it catch on anything nor was it an inconvenience. I never really even thought about it.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I actually like that the speakers unplug easily on the top deck. It seems to me that is better than having wires permanently fixed inside the tubes of the tower. Over time, raising and lowering the tower is going to put some stress and/or wear on the wires if they can't be unplugged.
Old    mojo            10-03-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
there is no difference in having the speakers disconnect right there and having them run a little bit more down into the hull at the mounting point. wires will be run long enough for the fold either way. regardless, that is a design flaw, but an easy one to fix.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
I actually disagree that there would be no difference. With the wire always connected, I think it is likely that the wires will catch at times when lowering and raising the tower which over time could cause a short.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-04-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Looks sharp, Ian will you post the specs when you get them?
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
I really like the classic colors of the TWB. Clean looking boat, not flashy or blingy. Not a fan of any tomcat and wouldn't get it. Pics of the wake/surf waves is what we'd like to see.

Is the 2200lbs ballast under the floor total or just one side?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-06-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
both boats look nice. i think i will put them on my list to check out at february boat shows.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
more pics... the wake pics are BONE STOCK! No extra ballast.
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
i mean stock ballast, no additional ballast over stock.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
NICE!! Like the yellow one a lot.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-06-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
That new 23 wb is nice, not a fan of the tomcat though. Looks like they've been taking notes from other manufacturers on the interior and REALLY stepped it up this year. Looks good.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-06-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
love the looks of that wake.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       10-06-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
The boat is gorgeous and simple. I love it.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Plenty more pictures to come. I have some sick riding shots of D.Cook and Schwen., but they are headed to the magazines before putting them up. After being with Mb for aa few years I can tell you this years' line is by far the best. Every detail is done to the fullest. Mike goes the extra mile on every little thing on his boats. The wake is amazing and the inside of these boats is just plain huge.

If anybody wants a demo in Norcal hit me up and I will set it up. I am selling my personal boat (will be in classifieds shortly) and can give demo's whenever.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-07-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
some specs on the 23 TWB - length 23' , Beam - 100" , 2200 lbs ballast , weight 4150.00. I was told it got out of the hole no problem with full ballast and hit 44 (not sure if that was with ballast) with the 343, no wakeplate and the 13.25 x 16 prop. 64 gal. fuel tank. All ballast is under the floor.

Last edited by wakereviews; 10-07-2010 at 7:51 AM. Reason: because
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-07-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Like Jason said "the wake is amazing" don't knock it till you try it folks seriously. Who wants a pull this Saturday dawn patrol at the River? I love all these people I don't like this I don't like that. Keep up the good work MB!!!!!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-07-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
sick wake!!!
love that brown & white combo - CLASSY!
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-07-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
If you removed the tower and MB badge from the TWB, it would look a lot like a 2007 Malibu LSV. I know the Malibu style lines so well that the similarities just jump right out at me. Still, it looks classy and refined. Probably would appeal to the older set. I would stay away from putting dark vinyl on the seats where bare skin touches. Malibu has started featuring a band of black vinyl on the front edge of the seats too. I shake my head and wonder why. My current boat has vinyl that goes progressively from light at the front edge of the seat to dark at the back edge. When I sit down, I definitely know what color I am sitting on.
The Tomcat is a boat I could like a lot. The design is unique, edgy, and screams MB from every angle. X Star comments are well taken, but I like the graphics. I especially like the vinyl design on the rear sun pad.
I took a hard look at the B52 back when Alan S was selling MB's. I wanted to buy a boat from him because he is such a good soul and he has treated my friends very well. As much as I wanted to, I just could not find enough love for the B52. Close, but not quite. I did see an all black one a few months later that made me quiver. That was special.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-10-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
What is the boats capacity and how many peeps is it rated for?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
it's rated for 15 people, i'm hoping to have one here much earlier in the season next year Brett so hopefully you can check it out then.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-11-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
it's rated for 15 people, i'm hoping to have one here much earlier in the season next year Brett so hopefully you can check it out then.
Do you know if that's with the ballast full or not?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
I love the interior, especially on the pickle!!!! not my favorite gel coat colors but still looks slick. I love the back end on those boats!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-12-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Nu, IIRC technically ballast is supposed to be included in the rating. So, if the boat is rated for 2,000 lbs/12 people and you have 2,000 lbs of ballast, passengers would make you over weight.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-13-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
This makes no sense. By this logic, the MB capacity line up looks like this:

Tom F21: 14
TWB 21: 16
TWB 23: 15

How is the TWB 21 the same boat as the F21, but it holds 2 more people???

How is the TWB 23 the same 2' longer than the TWB 21 but it holds 1 person less???
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Wow, I completely spaced it earlier when I was posting. I didn't pay attention to that being a 23TWB. I thought you were saying there was a new 23 Tomcat. Doh. That is awesome that they made a bigger longer version of the TWB. If I was in the market for a new 21 or 23 foot vdrive the TWB's would be on my list to check out.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-16-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
ixfe, I've always wondered why the F21 had a different capacity than the TWB21. Other than the nose, which to my understanding is why the picklefork style developed in the first place (more seating &/or more room), I've always heard that the boats have the same hull. Even more strange is the new 23ft version which has a smaller rating than it's 21ft sibling. Hell, give me the 16ft version with a capacity of 32 so I can get the best bang for my buck!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-16-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Who takes 13 other people out on their boat anyway? More than about seven or eight is too many for my taste.

I really like the clay colored boat, very classy. I need a bigger boat.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-18-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
haha Brett, yeah i know the F21 had smaller capacity because the gunnels were wider but as to why the 23 TWB has less capacity than the 21 TWB I'm stumped.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
I am throwing up my one of a kinda 21' Tomcat on classifieds in a few minutes.
Old    mojo            10-18-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
aren't the person ratings just a suggested limit and don't truly matter?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
aren't the person ratings just a suggested limit and don't truly matter?
I believe that is true, at least over a certain length. The trap is that you can be ticketed for being overloaded which basically can be whatever the officer feels is overloaded.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-21-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
here's a few more of a different color scheme.... looks like these are going for 59k at Larson Marine
Attached Images

Last edited by wakereviews; 10-21-2010 at 7:18 AM. Reason: because
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Oh I love it. I can't wait to see one in person.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-21-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
Wow.... that one looks great!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-21-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Wow.... that one looks great!
+1. Way better color scheme on the black and white one.
Old    mojo            10-21-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
i think someone told me the law was any rigid boat 20' and over is whatever goes at that boat manf. just pay for the nmma priveledge or something like that.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-21-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
Those last pics makes it really apparent how they came up with their capacity rating. They nearly eliminated the rear sun deck, makes sense now.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-22-2010, 3:37 AM Reply   
Looks like the rear sun deck is the same size of the 21 TWB and F21. If so, there is ample access to the entire engine and wakeboards and wakesurfers fit well. When traveling, I can fit 2-3 wakeboards and surfers in each locker.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-22-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
I have a big family and frequently have a lot of people on my boat. My MC X45 is rated for 18 and I have had it at capacity several times. The DNR and Coast guard in my area check my capacity plate when I get pulled over. On my old boat, which had a capacity of 12, I lost count one day and ended up having 13 on my way to drop of a couple kids. I got nabbed for being over capacity. My fault, but I argued that I was no where near my weight capacity because the majority of the boat was filled with young children and a couple of skinny chicks that day. The capacity plate said 12 persons or XXXXlbs (I don't remember the exact weight) but the average weight of a passenger that day was maybe 70 lbs. The officer said that the "or" means neither limit may be exceeded. If I am going to buy a bigger boat and pay for a bigger boat I think it should not only have more room but a higher capacity rating as well. It would be interesting to hear an explanation from MB on why their 21ft variation has a higher capacity than their 23ft variation of the same Widebody model.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
$59k sounds like a great deal when you compare a Nautique 230 at what $80k? Sunpad might be a deal breaker for the wife though. I would want to check it out but it does look awfully small.
Old    SamIngram            10-22-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
$59k sounds like a great deal when you compare a Nautique 230 at what $80k? Sunpad might be a deal breaker for the wife though. I would want to check it out but it does look awfully small.
David, I will remain quiet!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-22-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
I would love to see this boat with stock ballast plus another 2k on top surf wave. The hull looks like a great design for surfing.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-22-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
How's this for a custom? I am selling my 2011 boat right now on classifieds.
Attached Images

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-22-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
They've been doing flames for a long time, what's custom?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-25-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Those are totally custom flames. Definitely a one off. If you look at any other MB with tribal graphics you would notice that they are different.

I am a fan of the red nose though.
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-08-2010, 11:55 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of the first 23 TWB to hit Portland. This is my favorite so far...

Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2010, 5:02 AM Reply   
I love the clean lines and simple graphics. The interior looks HUGE. Can't wait to ride behind one of these!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-09-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thats a real beauty there!
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-09-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Sweet!