Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       12-21-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
I recently went outside to inspect my winterized '05 Wakesetter after a rain storm, and discovered something that alarmed me- my boat was leaking! It was leaking from what I identified as the v-drive shaft opening. I guess what had happened was that rain water had entered through that hole that some covers have on the top. Then obviously, it had dripped down to the hull area. Is there a chance that I screwed up my boat, either that particular seal or the pump/instrumentation that's down there? I know that a few of the nights that the water would have been in there it was near freezing (27 to 32 degrees). Lemme know guys, thanks.

BTW, while I'm on the subject, why does my cover have that hole on it (it's located about 2/3 of the way back from the nose and is about 4 inches wide). It appears to be serving no function (it doesn't allow a ski pole to pass through or anything, because I have a v-drive) and doesn't really seem necessary. Can I just sew it shut?
Old     (glasshouse)      Join Date: May 2007       12-22-2007, 4:22 AM Reply   
if you want to be safe just pour some of your anti freeze down there, should be safe on the glass.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-22-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
I'm not sure I understand what is leaking? Water out of the Vdrive unit? Water out of the hull at the prop shaft? Oil out of the Vdrive?

It sounds to me like water leaking out of the hull, so my first recommendation (if you trailer your boat) is always take the plug out. Your boat can fill up with rainwater like an old hottub over a winter, and that literally will total it. The water has to get at least about a foot deep before it reaches any electrical items, though.

Pooled water around a shaft seal that freezes will not damage anything. It has to be trapped in a fixed volume (like the motor) to do damage. Do you know if you have a standard rope packing seal, or a zero leak seal? Either type could be just leaking. Rope seals can be adjusted, but it's probably the most difficult regular maintenance item to perform on a Vdrive.

The hole in your cover is probably a vent, and is a good thing to have. It allows moisture trapped under the cover to escape, for reduced mold growth. Boats can sit out in the rain with no cover on just fine - water leaking in should not be a problem.

Water leaking out of the motor or Vdrive is a big problem, but you said it's been winterized... It has to be in the 20's for 8+ hours before you have anything to worry about.
Old     (txrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-22-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Trace is right on, sounds like you just need to re-pack the "packing" (which ever style you have)around your drive shaft. How old is your boat? I'd leave the slit in the cover, you're better off letting the moisture get out.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-23-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
Probably a repack.
http://www.wakeboatworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemi d=35
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-23-2007, 10:18 PM Reply   
Sounds strange, under warranty? take in ASAP. for the hole in the cover I believe it is for trailering your boat, so the cover doesnt balloon up, my cover has two holes in it, both have covers,as well.