Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    sg24            07-31-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
hey what are some good boards for chopy water???
Old    wegotbikes            07-31-2003, 3:05 PM Reply   
I ride the Byerly DNA 137 and I hate it in choppy water! This board likes glass, so stay away from the Byerly for rough water.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
any board with longer fins...just change the fins
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
or stay away from choppy water!
Old    rdierolf            07-31-2003, 5:19 PM Reply   
larger boards are good for chop
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-31-2003, 10:15 PM Reply   
Hey, how about a board with a v-hull?
I wonder if that would work.

For me a heavier board works (lighter boards kinda rattle) but I'm with Aaron.

Then again, you can always foil...
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-01-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
my belmont does good in choppy water and i have heard that the TDF does good too.
Old    oldwaker            08-01-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
I have a LF Rhythm 134 (which is loose) and am constantly having to ride in choppy water - bad combination, since you are always bouncing around and the Rhythm has a tendancy to break loose easily. So...I went and bought some extra fins for the Rhythm and it makes it MUCH easier to do w2w jumps and land in the choppy water - added 2 side fins on each end, in addition to the stock center fin.

However, this has the obvious drawbacks for surface tricks - but with the constant choppy water, I can't do too many surface tricks anyway and enjoy it.

I would recommend getting a board with 2 side molded fins on each end and a center fin which can be quick-changed as needed for the water conditions - longer for chop and low profile (or none) for glassier conditions - decide when you hit the lake.

I am living with my modified Rhythm for now, but am looking for a model (as described above) for next year.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
Hyperlite Motive does good in choppy water, it has molded side fins and pretty good sized center fins 1.7.
Old    debsxstar            08-01-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
Kevin, what a great idea. I was using a LF Rythum 134 and was having a hard time edging. I just bought the LF Substance 136 and love it and see major improvement in my riding. I think i will look into "modifying" my old board too. It's a new board and it's the one I keep on the boat as a universal board for everyone to use. The added fins will be appreciated by some of my friends. Will any board shop install them?
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
How about one that has a spot to hold things to throw at the tubers and jet skiers.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-01-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
I can ride my premier finless (135) and jobe alpha (138) finless in rough water just fine :-)
Old    oldwaker            08-01-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
Debbie, thanks, and you have the right idea - my modified Rhythm will become my guest/beginner board next year, especially since I am starting to teach several younger (8-11 yr old) kids and other adults how to wakeboard. In rougher water this makes a huge difference for this particular board, and gives them the initial confidence to try stuff.

I always point out the drawbacks of this board config for helping their future wakeboarding - eventually move to the molded fin design we discussed above.

I did the drills myself - I do woodworking so I was careful in the measurements, using the center line on the bottom as the reference point for symmetry. This weekend I will put the measurements and a picture of what I did on this forum thread - you can discuss with your local board shop. I just carefully drilled the holes and they look just like the factory center holes.

The only thing I would caution (after having done mine...) is that you don't want to accidentally drill through any lengthwise strengthening rods that may be present - I really don't know if the LF Rhythm has these or not... If you cut one of these, the board will have problems - I know I didn't ruin anything with my drill holes, so my measurements seem to be OK for avoiding...I discussed my design with the folks at Vertical Urge here in Raleigh before doing any drilling.

more to come...
Old    debsxstar            08-01-2003, 9:04 PM Reply   
Kevin, cool i will look for your pictures/measurements this weekend! I want to have these fins added asap. Thanks!
Old    oldwaker            08-02-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
Debbie, here are a couple of photos of what I did. Basically, the center fin is stock (used existing holes, but replaced the fin with the Rainbow Shapiro Surf 2.1)

I went 4 inches out from the center line (left and right) and made lines that run parallel to the center line. Then I positioned the outer fins such that the back edge of each fin is 4 inches from the back edge of the board (the board curves so it may range from 4 - 4.25 depending on where you measure). On this new side parallel line, mark the ends of the fins (I used a pencil) and then make sure the back edge is 4 inches from the back of the board.

To mark the holes to drill, I just laid the fins on their sides along the new side lines and marked the holes (2 for each fin which is the LF standard) and then checked by measuring the distances between the holes (to match the fin holes) and the distance from the holes to each end of the fin to make sure they matched on the board. The drill holes are 1/4 inch, assuming you are using the standard hardware that comes with the Rainbow fins.

I just laid the board (deck side down) on a sawhorse and drilled straight down. I carefully used a razor to clean the scrap plastic from the hole edges. The holes came out very clean and looked exactly like the factory drilled holes for the center fins.

Comment on the fins: the picture shows what appear to be 2 different colored side fins - they are exactly the same size/shape - just different colors. I got them 1/2 price from my board shop!

Hope this helps!

Old    demi_barbito            08-02-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
My Liquid Force Trip 138 does good in the chop. It's got six fins.

I ride lake San Antonio a lot and it can get super choppy.

Demi
Old    oldwaker            08-02-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
Thats good to know...the Trip 138 is one of the boards I'm seriously thinking of getting for next year. I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs and think the 138 or a 141 (max) is what I need. The 134 seems too small, but is rated OK for my weight...
Old    veganx            08-02-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
The Double Up Soul is hands down the best rough water board I've ridden. I'm generally not a huge fan of the board, but it does make chop feel like butter.