Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-13-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
is it ever a bad idea to leave your board and bindings in the car all day.. in the heat? will the heat every warp the materials or glue on your bindings ever?

just always wondered, hahah
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       06-13-2012, 9:43 PM Reply   
All my decks sit in the back of my Tahoe from
March-dec every year. I haven't noticed any problems yet.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-13-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
It would have to get crazy hot, like the end of times hot to harm your deck.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-13-2012, 11:24 PM Reply   
I could see it damaging boots if they are glued. I definitely wouldn't ride them right out of the car if it is hot. I try not to leave my stuff in the car, it goes in the wake/golf/dog room when I'm done shredding.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2012, 4:35 AM Reply   
Boards/bindings I wouldn't be as worried about, but I have had vests with the glideskin material, (the smooth, shiny foam rubber like stuff) that has melted and glued itself to my board when stored in the heat of the car.

Happened with an older LF hinge vest (my cga cable vest) that had the glideskin around the arm holes. It was laying on top of my new response, when I peeled them apart it left black tar all over my new white deck, was a bitch to clean off...
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-14-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
as opposed to sitting in board racks all summer in the hot tx sun.dont think it woiuld be too much of an issue but the glue thing is agood point..
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-14-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
I would be more worried about the smell. My car will smell like mildew if I keep my wet gear in there longer than a day.
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-14-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
I have had a pair of Liquid force Transits get warped and shrunk due to heat. I left the board in the boat while it had its cover on in mid summer here in AZ a few years back. Since then I'll never leave my board in a place that gets too much heat.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-14-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
i crack the windows so there is air at least. don't want the heat to build up in the car, so i make sure the windows are cracked a little bit as a vent. thanks for the input. i don't know how or why i dream up these thoughts
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-14-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsilcio View Post
is it ever a bad idea to leave your board and bindings in the car all day.. in the heat? will the heat every warp the materials or glue on your bindings ever?
I'm sure much of this depends on where you are and whether your boat or car are stored Ina covered or uncovered spot. Places like Phoenix, Yuma, and Vegas experience much hotter temperatures than other "hot" places like Dallas or Houston. Auto manufactures put testing grounds south of Phoenix a couple decades ago because some materials and adhesives that passed their heat tests were failing in these extreme environments because they werent tested in hot enough heat. Temps inside a car parked in the sun can exceed 200F.

I store some of my gear in my boat and have not yet had any problems, and Phoenix is about as hot as you will find. That said, my boat is stored under a canopy so it doesn't get the full baking effect that it would get if stored in an uncovered location. As a general rule and to be safe, I wouldn't store anything I cared about without at least something to provide shade.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-17-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
Generally Heat is not good for anything......I try not to leave anything in my car or boat, but I'm in Phoenix and today its 111 degrees.....which means it'll easily get up into the 120+ in the car if its uncovered....