Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Long time listener first time caller LOL! Just wanted to let you all know ACME has a couple new props out. They are new and improved versions of the 537 and 857. I just ordered the new version of the 537 it's the 1161. Not sure what the number is for the new and improved 857. I got an e-mail from Bill at Acme in response to a question I had about a better prop for my boat. I then called him today and he turned me onto the 1161 instead of the 537. The only difference is the 1161 has a .135 cup instead of the .105 cup. Prices should be the same as the 537 with a little better holding capability with the speed. Should be a pretty good improvment from the stock OJ currently on there. Also wanted to thank everyone for their posts leading me to go with the Acme 537, you guys rock...
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-17-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
I run the 537 on my Mobius XLV and it performs alot better than the stock prop. Now that you informed me of the new 1161.....Anyone want to buy an ACME 537?!? My question is, why doesn't SC just put the right prop on in the first place? We are buying a prop we don't want in the first place when we buy the boat. But then again, the stock propl makes for a good spare. Not as good as if it came with the 1161 and I bought another as a spare!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
Acme and OJ are both working on new wakeboard specific props for this summer. We're testing OJ's prop right now and have been blown away by the improvement in hole shot and speed holding.

We'll post a full review on WSR shortly.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-18-2006, 3:16 AM Reply   
Jason, I'm very interested in your test results. Is the OJ prop the 14.25 x 14 XMP edge, also whats WSR stand for?
Old     (tx_cook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-18-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
wakesiderides.com
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-18-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I'm currently testing three of Acme's props now.
The 537 and the 275 and the new 14.0 X 14.5. It makes my XLV 4000lb plus 2200lbs of water ballast into a freak!! It pulls like nothing else. I'm loving the 14.5 and waiting for the water temp to come up to better than 65.8 to try it boarding. My concern is fuel burn cause at 22mph I'm turning 3100rpm.. Gulp!!!!
Acme's stuff is awsome I recommend it to anyone who wants serious thrust!!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Both ACME and OJ have a new big prop for 2006. I really think this will be the next thing in props, as more and more boat owners really only care about low speed performance.

We're heading out tomorrow for one more trip to get some numbers, and I'll post my thoughts then.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about props. What is the benefit of the newer versions and what is the general cost? I have been told to buy a back up prop but have know idea what to get or how much to spend.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
A propeller on your boat is the equivalent of a transmission in your vehicle (albeit a single speed transmission).

If you try to accelerate away from a stop light in 3rd gear, it will take a long time for the vehicle to reach speed. If you're towing your boat (additional load), it will take even longer. Conversely, if you try to drive around in first gear, you'll have a hard time reaching the legal speed limit.

In a boat, the difficult part is finding a single effective gear ratio that works well for low speed pulling, but doesn't completely kill your top speed. Most boats are shipped with a propeller that is better suited for mid range and high speed pulling power (a higher gear in your vehicles transmission), so when you add a lot of ballast, the engine is overwhelmed and the boats acceleration suffers.

To find the appropriate application for your boat, check out our propeller selector guide

Jason
www.wakeside.com
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-18-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
For all Nautiquers they also have the new 1160 RH prop. It's 13.5x16 with 0.135 cup versus the 536's .105 cup. It should provide a little more top end and drop the Rs a couple hundred.