Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hey guys this season i will try to do my first 360, im a big guy and i am not this kind of guy that go really high.

1-Did i need to get a lot of air to do it ?
2-Any tips please on the technique to do it ( edging, handle, twist, etc )

Ill try to do it hs360
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
1. not a lot but at least w2w
2. pop, pull, pass
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
im ok for the wake 2 wake im doing the 180 and im landing it 8 time on 10. when you mean pop, pull and pass. for pulling you mean i pull the handle to help me doing the rotation ?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-14-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
to save yourself some pain, id recommend slowing the boat down and trying some 1 wake 3's. You can get used to the rotation first which will help a lot when u take it w2w
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-14-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
you might want to start with surface 360s to get the pull and pass motions down
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-14-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Get on a trampoline and do it like a million times with a rope tied to a tree or something. This is how most tricks should be attempted first then when it feels good take it to the water.
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-14-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
Jump, wait a millisecond, pull your handle to your back hip, keep it there then grab the handle and spot your landing and stick it.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
its crazy the way its describe it look like ill never had the time to do it. im sure i will not catch the handle in my back ...
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
http://www.learnwake.com/

watch this and it should clear everything up for you!
on the right click sample video 1, hs fs 360 and get your note pad out.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-14-2009, 10:48 PM Reply   
http://www.learnwake.com/samples/lib1.php

and this is a step by step with sequence still shots. really sweet site for great info.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-15-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
make sure pop and pull are 2 different steps in your head. if you pop/pull at the same time you will come way off axis. pop (wait) pull the handle to your hip then pass
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-15-2009, 5:13 AM Reply   
Like everyone here is telling you, Pop off the wake, two handles on the handle then pull the handle with both hands. Don't spin off the wake early and don't take your hand off early. I think those are easily the most common mistakes. Oh and no progressive edge either, you really have to drift in for the right slack.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
Another off-water exercise is to get an old handle w/ a 5ft extension. Tie it to a gallon milk jug that is ~ 1/4 full of water.

Start swinging the jug around you, working on passing the handle. You want to work on 2 things: (1) keeping the handle close to your hips/small of back and (2) keeping the milk jug level all the way around (i.e. not making a sinusoidal motion).

Once you have that down, start spinning yourself around in the opposite direction of the milk jug, still working on those 2 things above.

I tried 3s for about 4 months and couldn't get them. The I went to a camp & the instructor showed me this drill. One week later I was landing them.

Also, I'm not a small guy (5'9", 185lbs), and I certainly don't go big (lowest altitude backroll East of the Mississippi). I think a friend's comment on my riding was "all i can remember is thinking how tiny dan takes all his tricks".
Old     (killercam)      Join Date: May 2009       05-15-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Lowest altitude backroll east of the mississippi!! Ha thats great. Ive been told i have the lowest altitude tantrum west of the rocky's. Looks like I was trying to scrub and speed my tantrums when i first learned em. Head about a foot off the water.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-15-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Here's a classic example:

http://home.comcast.net/~dan.michelle/SmallBackroll.mp4
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-15-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
hhahahahha here is the new spinnig rocket!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
wow, that is small. Props for still landing that. That was pretty impressive actually.
Old    shooter_08            05-16-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
+1 on handle pass training with a tramp or a weighted rope

+1 on surface 360's (take off your fins if needed)

+1 on pop, then pull handle straight into chest, then pass

I like backside spins when snowboarding because you can spot your landing so I thought it was natural to do the same on the wake. I have problems with going off axis on my wake backside spins and have feel frontside spins are easier.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-17-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Shooter, why pull it into the chest, not to the hip?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-17-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
You need room to do the trick, and to get the pull. Before you get to the wake extend your arms and let the handle out away from you, this will give you room to advance on the handle and get some slack in the rope so it won't rip out of your hands when you land.
Old    shooter_08            05-18-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Jos said it. A pull to the chest seems to get more slack so you dont get pulled off axis and allows for an easier pass. Strength wise, I think its easier to pull to your chest than your hip. As you get better (and stronger) I would say pull to the hip. I'm not that great at 3's, but I can land them and this seems to help.